View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

arcadegamer
Old Timer
Reged: 08/10/04
Send PM

Time to hang it up
#303025 - 01/22/13 12:39 AM

Well, I have been following this most wonderful thing called MAME since late 1997 after a quest to find the game Defender after I had to sell my cabinet before heading to college back in the late 80's. It has been an amazing 15 years (15?!?) and the developers, community and support is something special that you just don't see elsewhere everyday.

I have read the MAME websites religiously waiting with bated breath for the next nugget of info, breakthrough or rare find. I worked in arcades back in the 80's and seeing these games and flyers today is special. As many others, I wish I had something to contribute technically or programmatically, but my talent is hardware and infrastructure.

Many will read this post and say "so what - see you later" and others will understand. To the entire community, just know that you have brought many hours of enjoyment to this mid-40's 'old fart' and his son who would rather play Pac-Man or Donkey Kong on my arcade cabinet than on his Playstation 3.

The custom cabinet I built 13 years ago is worn out and has been torn apart and thrown away. The Slik-Stik controller lives on and used when plugged into the new laptop that replaced the cabinet's "PC". It is time to take a snapshot in time at version .148 and keep it around when that hankering for an oldie comes around.

Thanks,

AG

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

Re: Time to hang it up new [Re: arcadegamer]
#303066 - 01/22/13 04:46 PM

> Many will read this post and say "so what - see you later" and others will understand.

Hope there's nothing dramatic going on. I'm guessing it's the recent Star Trek love fest that drove you to this?

Seriously, I don't contribute much of anything to the project either. I'm much less active here lately and it's rare that I can stay awake much past 10pm anymore. But I still enjoy checking in a few times a week to see what's going on. Not sure if I've seen any of your posts but I'm sure all of us would be interested in hearing more about your arcade days.

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

Re: Time to hang it up new [Re: arcadegamer]
#303120 - 01/23/13 05:45 PM

If it makes you feel any better, I'm quite similar and only a couple years younger. Also worked as a tech/mgr for a couple arcades (90s). Things ebb and flow and this is no different. I am constantly improving my two Multi-game arcade cabinets and continue to contribute what I can to MAME, mostly just in recording video and samples of games rarely seen and other accuracy-based stuff.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 342 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1147