MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

"For Amusement Only: The Life and Death of the American Arcade"
#302680 - 01/16/13 07:17 PM

Nothing most people here don't know, and there's oddly no mention of e.g. CAX, but still a worthwhile time-waster.

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

Re: "For Amusement Only: The Life and Death of the American Arcade" new [Re: R. Belmont]
#302684 - 01/16/13 07:37 PM

I think the first paragraph sumed it up nicely.

"Lots and lots of video games, and (usually) pinball machines. They’re dark (so that you can see the screens better), and they don’t sell food or booze."

"Your mom wouldn’t want to be there, and nobody would want her there,anyway"

TknoMncr
Lurker
Reged: 09/22/03
Send PM

Re: "For Amusement Only: The Life and Death of the American Arcade" new [Re: R. Belmont]
#302711 - 01/17/13 03:08 AM

> Nothing most people here don't know, and there's oddly no mention of e.g. CAX, but
> still a worthwhile time-waster.

Well written... but also missing significant other mentions.. Funspot, Pinball Wizard, Star Worlds, Ground Kontrol, Galloping Ghosts... just off the top of my head. I mean those are Arcades still around and working reasonably well. Not the kind of arcade described in the opening mind you... but still around and popular. [I go to the ACAM/Funspot tournament every year and also trip to Pinball Wizard an hour away and even during the dead times in the Autumn, it's still busy as hell on the weekends at both places.]

But yes, very well written. Quite impressive actually, since most articles like this miss a LOT of stuff.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: "For Amusement Only: The Life and Death of the American Arcade" new [Re: TknoMncr]
#302724 - 01/17/13 04:58 AM

> But yes, very well written. Quite impressive actually, since most articles like this
> miss a LOT of stuff.

Yeah. The writing was very good, and the video segment was well done too. I thought it was pretty impressive in spite of the obvious omissions, coming from someone outside the hobby.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#302729 - 01/17/13 06:41 AM

I liked it but it completely ignored also all of Japan, where they put arcades in areas of heavy foot traffic. People walk home from work and pass an arcade on the way and stop in. The same foot traffic ideas have worked elsewhere. Arcades in malls for example, back when malls were popular and you were there with your parents you passed an arcade and went in. It wasn't all people driving there for the arcade. Nobody goes to malls anymore, not like the 80s and early 90s, so an arcade there isn't sustainable anymore. If you put an arcade on a college campus between 2 buildings students walk between classes by it would probably be successful. Ground Kontrol is located in the asshole of downtown Portland btw. Terrible street that is bum walked night of the living dead.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#302731 - 01/17/13 07:10 AM

Very cool and interesting article. Thanks for posting that

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

#302746 - 01/17/13 10:35 AM

*gregf mode length...if dare to read*

>Nothing most people here don't know, and there's oddly no mention of e.g. CAX, but still
> a worthwhile time-waster.

A pretty good article. From this "post-baby boom generation" perspective, that went to arcades in late 1960s and maybe by age 3 first time ever put in a quarter and played one of the mechanical games in 1968....a few years before arrival of Nutting Computer Space...at one of the arcades in miniature golf course.

The first time I recall seeing a business setup that was exclusively for arcade games only was at Time Out when Westminster Mall first opened in sometime in 1974. Before first seeing a Time Out at Westminster Mall...the arcade games were usually within amusement park locales, miniature golf courses, movie theatres, pizza places, family fun centers such as go-kart or batting cages, bowling alleys and even a few adult place restaurants had a game now and then in customer waiting area.

To me, the concept of a business that was opened up exclusively for playing arcade games only wasn't a thing until early to mid 1970s when Time Out and other competitors started operations. That is how I saw it here in soCal LA/Orange county region.

There may have been other establishments that started earlier than what Time Out was doing, but that would be areas of US that I didn't travel to other than the family vacation to Colorado in summer 1973.

>"Bally Midway didn’t want Pong, so Atari decided to make the game itself. Pong was
>released in the end of 1972 and it was so successful that Atari.."

I don't agree with this part. I suspect it was more of a "let's wait and see if this might make money and if it does, build cabinets immediately and ship them." approach by the Midway executives. Midway was doing okay with pinball and gun-rifle games and could easily outpace number of cabs built compared to Atari since both Midway and Allied Leisure already had assembly lines in operation and could build and ship cabs in short order once the assembly line had all the tools and parts ready to put cabs together.

I may have first spotted a Winner cab around late May 1973 at one of the minature golf course arcades....either Long Beach's Shady Acres or maybe it was at another miniature golf course near Lakewood area next to horse stables along Carson Ave....west of 605 freeway.

Midway Winner
http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=thumbs&db=videodb&id=1369

I might have first seen a Paddle Battle cab either at Straw Hat or Shakey's pizza in middle of May 1973. The already established competitors weren't going to allow Atari to rake in all the potential profits.

Allied Leisure Paddle Battle
http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=thumbs&db=videodb&id=2449

And then obviously by late 1973 more competitors had various pong clone cabs marketed, but they all looked the same or had a few specific game features such as operator adjustable time limits where a pong game would conclude after 2 or 3 minutes of play compared to whoever could score 11 points or 15 points. Seeing the same pong playfield even though cabs were different was boring to me. That's why I still kept playing mechanical games or gun rifle games. Then when Atari Space Race first appeared at a Straw Hat pizza parlor in either December 1973 or January 1974, I then got somewhat hooked back on to video games....briefly. ;-)

Atari Space Race
http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=thumbs&db=videodb&id=1040

Space Race was a nice change of pace even though I still went back to spending more time on mechanical games or electro-mechanical games.

The video games had still yet to overtake non-video games and pinball games.

To me, it probably wasn't until about mid 1976 before videogames started outnumbering mechanical games at various arcade establishments until Allied Leisure and Chicago Coin were in process of going out of business.

It would be great if someone, older than me and also was involved in businesses during 1970s since I was only a kid then, would write an article about mechanical games or electromechanical games. It would have to be someone 55 or older that did actually work in arcades during 1970s that could properly tell what it was like then.

iirc These were some of the more popular mechanical or electromechanical where there would be folks standing around wanting to play the game. Midway's SAMI was probably the first game that I can recall where it would attract a whole bunch of kids pushing each other while fighting for first in line just to play the game. Being small and 5 or 6 years of age, I would find myself in back of the line or not even able to play the game at all....especially if it was at a place where my family would be for half-an-hour or less.

Midway's SAMI was like the prelude to Dragon's Lair or Star Wars line waiting experience. Or maybe a particular Nintendo film reel game that was roaming around in mid-to-late 1970s. ;-)

I never could understand the attraction with Allied's Super Shifter game. I mean a little tiny plastic car that players controlled...yet it still had a crowd of players milling about wanting to play the game. iirc one of the arcades I went to in late 1977, I don't remember which, may have had a Super Shifter cab in middle of arcade.

Video games had already started to outnumber mechanical games, but somehow Super Shifter still managed to attract a crowd of players. I would play Exidy Circus or maybe PSE Desert Patrol while friends still preferred playing Super Shifter over Exidy Death Race or Cinematronics Space War. I never understood the attraction of Super Shifter, but that is what I recall how things were then at places I visited.

My favorites out of this list was Chicago Coin Flying Tiger or Shoot Out.

Allied Leisure
http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=ar...rch+the+Archive

Crack Shot
http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=thumbs&db=arcadedb&id=4

F-114
http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=thumbs&db=arcadedb&id=1657

Super Shifter
http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=thumbs&db=arcadedb&id=11

Chicago Coin

Flying Tiger
http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=thumbs&db=arcadedb&id=54

Shoot Out
http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=thumbs&db=arcadedb&id=65

Midway

S.A.M.I.
http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=thumbs&db=arcadedb&id=109

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

#302770 - 01/17/13 08:31 PM

A very good read, thanks for sharing.

I was unaware of the relationship between Atari and Kee Games. I wonder if there's any video of the demo Roger Sharpe gave to the City Council in New York City to help sway them to lift the pinball ban.

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

casm
Cinematronics > *
Reged: 08/27/07
Send PM

#302786 - 01/18/13 01:53 AM

> Nothing most people here don't know, and there's oddly no mention of e.g. CAX, but
> still a worthwhile time-waster.

Good read. Oddly appropriate, given that one of the oldest continously-operating arcades in the country (Disneyland's Starcade) has apparently now closed.

Shame, too. I remember when it opened back in about 1981 or so, and was packed full of Tron machines a year or so later after the first movie came out.

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Reged: 01/21/06
Send PM

Re: "For Amusement Only: The Life and Death of the American Arcade" new [Re: gregf]
#302813 - 01/18/13 06:36 AM

> >"Bally Midway didn’t want Pong, so Atari decided to make the game itself. Pong was
> > released in the end of 1972 and it was so successful that Atari.."
>
> I don't agree with this part. I suspect it was more of a "let's wait and see if this
> might make money and if it does, build cabinets immediately and ship them."

With all due respect, gregf... you're about one third right.

For a jaw-dropping reveal of the (very) early Syzygy/Atari days, check out this incredible and rare interview with co-founder Ted Dabney. Interview starts at about 95 mins in. He describes this specific issue among many others, and actually disproves some of what is mentioned in the above article (they didn't quite "leave Nutting," for example - they never actually worked there). Fascinating stuff as I'm sure you'll agree, and well worth the (long) time you'll spend listening through it.

I do agree with you that the above article is pretty good, though. It's packed with great information, and the author has a remarkable journalistic style that you just don't see terribly often these days, especially in most well-trodden circles.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: "For Amusement Only: The Life and Death of the American Arcade" new [Re: Shoegazr]
#302831 - 01/18/13 06:13 PM

> I do agree with you that the above article is pretty good, though. It's packed with
> great information, and the author has a remarkable journalistic style that you just
> don't see terribly often these days, especially in most well-trodden circles.

Yeah. Keith Smith of the indispensable "All In Color For A Quarter" arcade history blog left a comment with a lot of corrections, but I think the arcade history details are mostly incidental to the points the article was making. Which is best summed up:

Your mom wouldn’t want to be there, and nobody would want her there,anyway.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#302863 - 01/18/13 11:21 PM

It's the sad truth really, instead of turning coins (or these days, game cards) into credits at the arcade, kids today are spending money on 'arcade' style games for their phone while Twitbooking and watching YouTube. The market has moved once again: Gambling/redemption games, pinball tables, video arcades, home consoles, PC games, iApps.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: "For Amusement Only: The Life and Death of the American Arcade" new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#303073 - 01/22/13 07:00 PM

> The market has moved once again:
> Gambling/redemption games, pinball tables, video arcades, home consoles, PC games,
> iApps.

It's getting worse than that (from our perspective, at least). A growing number of teenagers don't have or want a computer at all. They have a phone for browsing and "Twitbooking" and YouTube and casual games, and an Xbox or PlayStation for serious games.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#303074 - 01/22/13 07:03 PM

> > The market has moved once again:
> > Gambling/redemption games, pinball tables, video arcades, home consoles, PC games,
> > iApps.
>
> It's getting worse than that (from our perspective, at least). A growing number of
> teenagers don't have or want a computer at all. They have a phone for browsing and
> "Twitbooking" and YouTube and casual games, and an Xbox or PlayStation for serious
> games.

Eh? How do they type up schoolwork then? Borrow Dad's/Mom's/"the family computer"? Use a computer lab at school?

- Stiletto

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: "For Amusement Only: The Life and Death of the American Arcade" new [Re: Stiletto]
#303078 - 01/22/13 08:49 PM

> Eh? How do they type up schoolwork then? Borrow Dad's/Mom's/"the family computer"?
> Use a computer lab at school?

A lot carry around a netbook for such things.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 327 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2151