MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

digitalsystemsdesign
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/10/13
Send PM

MAME Controller - TAB or P Key - most important?
#302291 - 01/10/13 02:56 PM Attachment: XG1 Proto KOF ISO.jpg 41 KB (0 downloads)

Hi Guys

Newbie on here and just doing some final mapping on a new single player controller - 15 buttons - most of which are pretty self-explanatory, but......

Got to make a decision on the function map key allocation and I am down to the last button - which do you consider the most important

P Key
TAB Key

15 buttons are allocated as

4 - Joystick
1 - 1P Start
6 - B1-B6
1 - ENTER
1 - Coin 1
1 - ESC

Which leaves me one more - your opinions will be greatly appreciated - thanks

This is not a sales plug and as our own forums are a couple of weeks away I thought I would ask in the best possible place - cheers

Jeff F

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

Re: MAME Controller - TAB or P Key - most important? new [Re: digitalsystemsdesign]
#302292 - 01/10/13 03:48 PM

i would set your last button as a shift key, so you can potentially have another 14 functions assigned to the buttons

here are some mame features i would suggest you then add:

UI CONFIG MENU (TAB KEY)
PAUSE
RESET (HARD)
SAVE STATE (save your game progress)
LOAD STATE (load your game progress)
FAST FORWARD (useful for skipping the often slow game initialisation/hardware checks on startup of loading certain game roms)

digitalsystemsdesign
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAME Controller - TAB or P Key - most important? new [Re: grog]
#302294 - 01/10/13 04:09 PM

Yep I see where you are coming from with that one, but with USB controllers.... and in the pursuance of zero missed keypresses, I use the control function keys (SHIFT etc) for some of the main keypresses.

Clearly with a conventional USB keyboard setup you get 6 simultaneous keypresses in addition to the control function keypresses (unless I am missing something on the USB Keyboard HID protocol which is possible as it has been a while since I dug it out)

Hence I am trying to keep it as simple as possible for users including first-timers - the two player version (Scorpion XG-2) has been around for a while now and I've not had any issues with missed keys or ghosting and I really want to keep that up wherever possible.

Advanced users can always re-map their controllers using the manual mapping menu in MAME, but that can be a nightmare for new users - there is a scorpionxg.cfg file with it you see that means it just has to be launched with the config file (or just use the dropdown in ui version) and that negates the need for mapping. I will however re-vist the control function keylist availability and see if I can get another function key added to allow for the extra config as you have referred to.

Will welcome any return comments on that though

The XG-1+ and XG-2+ controller board is here in my hands now so I need to check that thoroughly also before working on the final mapping for that - need to get my head around PS3 mapping as that is working alongside the PC - hopefully the 360 code will come good in the end too.

Cheers

Jeff F

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

Re: MAME Controller - TAB or P Key - most important? new [Re: digitalsystemsdesign]
#302326 - 01/10/13 09:57 PM

between the two im going to say the TAB key is definitely more important than the pause key

its not like you could pause original arcade games back in the day anyway

i'd certainly rather have the option of changing dip switches or remapping buttons, as opposing to losing all that just so i can pause the game.

digitalsystemsdesign
MAME Fan
Send PM

#302328 - 01/10/13 11:13 PM

OK - cool - thanks

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#302356 - 01/11/13 12:47 PM

> between the two im going to say the TAB key is definitely more important than the
> pause key
>
> its not like you could pause original arcade games back in the day anyway
>
> i'd certainly rather have the option of changing dip switches or remapping buttons,
> as opposing to losing all that just so i can pause the game.

In my opinion you've got it backwards. I did reply to this topic before, then deleted it...

I have an arcade controller hacked from a PC controller. 4 directions, 6 of them I use mainly for Street Fighter type games, the other 2 are 1st player Start, and the 8th button is for Pause.

No, you couldn't pause arcade games - but who wouldn't if they had the option to in the first place?

You certainly couldn't go into an emulator UI/menu in arcade games -much less pause them.

For the credit/coins and entering MAME's UI/menu (even hard reset -which I hardly ever use) I leave that task for the keyboard. Although I never considered the Shift+_____. Very good idea. eta: or maybe I have no clue what you're talking about.

And why Pause? There's always a chance something will come up where you've got to wait a minute. Entering the MAME menu doesn't pause the game... You can lose time or still be attacked, etc. For me, the majority of time I'm going to go into the menu is to change over to another game. If anyone likes game-hopping a lot then they might prefer having the Tab key more available.

Edited by Tomu Breidah (01/11/13 06:02 PM)

LEVEL-4

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#302368 - 01/11/13 05:35 PM

> Yep I see where you are coming from with that one, but with USB controllers.... and
> in the pursuance of zero missed keypresses, I use the control function keys (SHIFT
> etc) for some of the main keypresses.

I think you misunderstood what he meant. Many keyboard encoders have a "shift button" which changes the meanings of all the other buttons to a second set. That doubles the number of available functions by only adding one button. It doesn't mean it passes SHIFT to the PC; in fact the PC doesn't see the shift button by itself.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 331 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1469