Pages: 1

fluxcore
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/06/13
Send PM

MAME debug load operation help
#302015 - 01/06/13 01:45 AM

Hi,

Using MAME debug, I'm trying to edit some memory while play is in progress. The program space memory is unwritable, fair enough - but if I switch to region ":maincpu" I am able to edit values and see results of changes.

In this case I am editing palettes and the changes are visible next time the level is loaded.

However, since the memory is unable to be edited when the game is paused, and there is randomness to which level will be loaded, I'd prefer to set a save state to load from before editing the memory. There is not enough time from a save state position until the level loads to edit the memory manually, however.

There exists a "load" function in the MAME debug commands, however I believe it's trying to load into main program memory which is unwritable. Is there any way to load into the ":maincpu" region instead (which is writable)? Editing a file while the game is paused and then loading it into memory is a perfectly acceptable method, as long as I can actually load it into the right place!

Other suggestions welcome.

Cheers,
--flux

fluxcore
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/06/13
Send PM

Re: MAME debug load operation help new [Re: fluxcore]
#302202 - 01/08/13 08:12 PM

Well, I found a slight workaround. Breaking out to the debugger (rather than pausing) still allows manual editing of the memory values in the region, while stopping execution. I suppose that is good enough for my needs.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 343 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1416