Pages: 1

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Metro 2033 for free
#300468 - 12/12/12 05:26 AM

No idea if it's good or not, but THQ is giving away Metro 2033: http://www.freemetrogame.com

You'll need a Farcebook account, but I assume most people have those. I just recently gave in myself for the express purpose of entering contests and getting free stuff.

EDIT: Apparently, you need a Steam account, too. Again, I assume most people have one.

Edited by DMala (12/12/12 05:29 AM)

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

Re: Metro 2033 for free new [Re: DMala]
#300524 - 12/13/12 07:52 AM

> No idea if it's good or not, but THQ is giving away Metro 2033:
> http://www.freemetrogame.com
>
> You'll need a Farcebook account, but I assume most people have those. I just recently
> gave in myself for the express purpose of entering contests and getting free stuff.
>
> EDIT: Apparently, you need a Steam account, too. Again, I assume most people have
> one.

Meh, not loving it so far. Modern shooters are so annoying. There always seems to be 10,000 friendly soldiers around who do all of the heavy lifting, I just ineffectually pepper the corpses as they fall to the ground. I can hardly tell what's going on half the time. Plus there are sooo many cut scenes. You barely get 2 minutes to drive and the game rips control away from you again for more exposition. It's like, can I just play the damned game please?

The game also *really* wants you to use an XBOX controller. All of the on screen instructions only reference the controller mappings. I keep hitting a "Push A to continue" screen, and I can't find a keyboard equivalent. I have to keep reaching down to tap the controller button. How do you even play an FPS with a gamepad? It's just painful.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

#300526 - 12/13/12 08:51 AM

> Meh, not loving it so far. Modern shooters are so annoying. There always seems to be
> 10,000 friendly soldiers around who do all of the heavy lifting, I just ineffectually
> pepper the corpses as they fall to the ground. I can hardly tell what's going on half
> the time. Plus there are sooo many cut scenes. You barely get 2 minutes to drive and
> the game rips control away from you again for more exposition. It's like, can I just
> play the damned game please?
>
> The game also *really* wants you to use an XBOX controller. All of the on screen
> instructions only reference the controller mappings. I keep hitting a "Push A to
> continue" screen, and I can't find a keyboard equivalent. I have to keep reaching
> down to tap the controller button. How do you even play an FPS with a gamepad? It's
> just painful.

Well then, GOG is offering Duke Nukem 3D for free for a short time (though it isn't listed with the free games).

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

Re: Metro 2033 for free new [Re: TriggerFin]
#300536 - 12/13/12 02:12 PM

> Well then, GOG is offering Duke Nukem 3D for free for a short time (though it isn't
> listed with the free games).

That sounds more my speed. Does that mean I'm old?

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

#300539 - 12/13/12 03:06 PM

> > Meh, not loving it so far. Modern shooters are so annoying. There always seems to
> be
> > 10,000 friendly soldiers around who do all of the heavy lifting, I just
> ineffectually
> > pepper the corpses as they fall to the ground. I can hardly tell what's going on
> half
> > the time. Plus there are sooo many cut scenes. You barely get 2 minutes to drive
> and
> > the game rips control away from you again for more exposition. It's like, can I
> just
> > play the damned game please?
> >
> > The game also *really* wants you to use an XBOX controller. All of the on screen
> > instructions only reference the controller mappings. I keep hitting a "Push A to
> > continue" screen, and I can't find a keyboard equivalent. I have to keep reaching
> > down to tap the controller button. How do you even play an FPS with a gamepad? It's
> > just painful.
>
> Well then, GOG is offering Duke Nukem 3D for free for a short time (though it isn't
> listed with the free games).

Dude they gave me these on my first sign up.

Teenagent FREE
Tyrian 2000 FREE
Lure of the Temptress FREE
Beneath a Steel Sky FREE
Dragonsphere FREE
Ultima™ 4: Quest of the Avatar FREE
Warsow FREE
Worlds of Ultima: The Savage Empire FREE
Ultima Worlds of Adventure 2: Martian Dreams FREE
Treasure Adventure Game FREE
order total: FREE

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#300541 - 12/13/12 04:19 PM

> > Well then, GOG is offering Duke Nukem 3D for free for a short time (though it isn't
> > listed with the free games).
>
> That sounds more my speed. Does that mean I'm old?

I just downloaded and played a bit of it. The seamless DOSbox wrapper is nice, but that game hasn't aged gracefully at all. The controls feel horrible. If you want to use the mouse, you have to keep rolling it forward to walk! That’s nasty! Looking/aiming up/down is horribly cumbersome, too. I'm going back to TF2.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: Metro 2033 for free new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#300574 - 12/14/12 01:03 AM

> > > Well then, GOG is offering Duke Nukem 3D for free for a short time (though it
> isn't
> > > listed with the free games).
> >
> > That sounds more my speed. Does that mean I'm old?
>
> I just downloaded and played a bit of it. The seamless DOSbox wrapper is nice, but
> that game hasn't aged gracefully at all. The controls feel horrible. If you want to
> use the mouse, you have to keep rolling it forward to walk! That’s nasty!
> Looking/aiming up/down is horribly cumbersome, too. I'm going back to TF2.

LOL!(really)

Back when it was new, I played it with a Sidewinder flight stick. I think it was the more advanced of the two I owned. Hatswitch on the top augmented the stick (which twisted) for full move/look access.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#300579 - 12/14/12 03:02 AM

> > I just downloaded and played a bit of it. The seamless DOSbox wrapper is nice, but
> > that game hasn't aged gracefully at all. The controls feel horrible. If you want to
> > use the mouse, you have to keep rolling it forward to walk! That’s nasty!
> > Looking/aiming up/down is horribly cumbersome, too. I'm going back to TF2.
>
> LOL!(really)
>
> Back when it was new, I played it with a Sidewinder flight stick. I think it was the
> more advanced of the two I owned. Hatswitch on the top augmented the stick (which
> twisted) for full move/look access.

I don't know what it is about this game in particular - the iD (Doom) and Bungee (Marathon) shooters don't feel anywhere near as bad. Duke's aged far worse than the others. It's like, "WTF I actually enjoyed this?"

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: Metro 2033 for free new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#300589 - 12/14/12 07:28 AM

> > > I just downloaded and played a bit of it. The seamless DOSbox wrapper is nice,
> but
> > > that game hasn't aged gracefully at all. The controls feel horrible. If you want
> to
> > > use the mouse, you have to keep rolling it forward to walk! That’s nasty!
> > > Looking/aiming up/down is horribly cumbersome, too. I'm going back to TF2.
> >
> > LOL!(really)
> >
> > Back when it was new, I played it with a Sidewinder flight stick. I think it was
> the
> > more advanced of the two I owned. Hatswitch on the top augmented the stick (which
> > twisted) for full move/look access.
>
> I don't know what it is about this game in particular - the iD (Doom) and Bungee
> (Marathon) shooters don't feel anywhere near as bad. Duke's aged far worse than the
> others. It's like, "WTF I actually enjoyed this?"

Both of those were actually 2D. In Doom (as originally coded, not the newer versions of the original) you couldn't shoot high or low and miss the target. I think Duke was the start of actually moving into 3D for these things. So yeah, they did things wrong.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#300591 - 12/14/12 08:33 AM

> Both of those were actually 2D. In Doom (as originally coded, not the newer versions
> of the original) you couldn't shoot high or low and miss the target. I think Duke was
> the start of actually moving into 3D for these things. So yeah, they did things
> wrong.

Doom had 2D-only map (couldn't have areas above each other) and you couldn't aim high/low, but Doom 2 let you have areas above each other on a map properly. I can't remember if Doom 2 did or not, but other games on the Doom 2 engine (e.g. Heretic) definitely required you to aim up/down. Marathon had a 3D map with curved passages and used mouse to look around, including up and down. Actually, the thing that set Marathon apart was the varied level objectives - not just finding the exit point.

Duke 3D had two years on Marathon and Heretic, and a year on Doom 2. It lacks intuitive "free look", curved passages and proper 3D map of Marathon, and aiming/looking up/down is horrible compared to Heretic. It just doesn't seem to stand up that well looking back on it.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 99 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1347