Pages: 1

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Confused. Minecraft. Ping.
#298690 - 11/09/12 10:22 AM

For quite a while I've had a very poor connection, especially to minecraft servers (the only multiplayer gaming I do, actually).
My normal ping as shown by minecraft has been 2-3 thousand ms. As much as 3 seconds.
MC updated to 1.4.2 before the recent storm, and I played on the server, experiencing the same connection quality.
I connected to the server for the first time after the storm yesterday, and... ping was back to normal, mostly under 200.

Don't jump yet.
The software, MC1.4.2, that I was using before has NOT changed.
OK, thinks me... either they fixed the line, or being turned off for 4 days straight allowed things to reset, and I'm connecting through a non-busted bit of hardware now.

I have access to other servers. There's one that hasn't updated to 1.4.2, so I need to break out the alternate MC folder with the right version. I hop on that one. Ping 2900+. Carp. Back to the other one, ping 193.

So, WTF?

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

Welcome to the magic world of internet (nt) new [Re: TriggerFin]
#298692 - 11/09/12 12:29 PM

> For quite a while I've had a very poor connection, especially to minecraft servers
> (the only multiplayer gaming I do, actually).
> My normal ping as shown by minecraft has been 2-3 thousand ms. As much as 3 seconds.
> MC updated to 1.4.2 before the recent storm, and I played on the server, experiencing
> the same connection quality.
> I connected to the server for the first time after the storm yesterday, and... ping
> was back to normal, mostly under 200.
>
> Don't jump yet.
> The software, MC1.4.2, that I was using before has NOT changed.
> OK, thinks me... either they fixed the line, or being turned off for 4 days straight
> allowed things to reset, and I'm connecting through a non-busted bit of hardware now.
>
> I have access to other servers. There's one that hasn't updated to 1.4.2, so I need
> to break out the alternate MC folder with the right version. I hop on that one. Ping
> 2900+. Carp. Back to the other one, ping 193.
>
> So, WTF?

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Confused. Minecraft. Ping. new [Re: TriggerFin]
#298696 - 11/09/12 04:07 PM

> For quite a while I've had a very poor connection, especially to minecraft servers
> (the only multiplayer gaming I do, actually).
> My normal ping as shown by minecraft has been 2-3 thousand ms. As much as 3 seconds.
> MC updated to 1.4.2 before the recent storm, and I played on the server, experiencing
> the same connection quality.
> I connected to the server for the first time after the storm yesterday, and... ping
> was back to normal, mostly under 200.
>
> Don't jump yet.
> The software, MC1.4.2, that I was using before has NOT changed.
> OK, thinks me... either they fixed the line, or being turned off for 4 days straight
> allowed things to reset, and I'm connecting through a non-busted bit of hardware now.
>
> I have access to other servers. There's one that hasn't updated to 1.4.2, so I need
> to break out the alternate MC folder with the right version. I hop on that one. Ping
> 2900+. Carp. Back to the other one, ping 193.
>
> So, WTF?

You don't have satellite internet or something like that, do you? Because even 200ms seems high. I'm not that far from you (in Internet terms) and I can ping Gat's server in the mid-60s all day long.

Anyhow, it sounds like whatever improved the problem along one route didn't fix it for other routes. Have you tried running a tracert to the different servers? That might tell you where the problem is happening. If it's on your ISPs servers, you might even be able to get them to fix it, if you can fight your way through first-tier tech support.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: Confused. Minecraft. Ping. new [Re: DMala]
#298698 - 11/09/12 07:28 PM

> You don't have satellite internet or something like that, do you? Because even 200ms
> seems high. I'm not that far from you (in Internet terms) and I can ping Gat's server
> in the mid-60s all day long.

I have 2-way cable, at the lowest available speed. Not meant for gaming, but good enough. At that speed, in mc, any oddities are generally due to the game's inefficiencies (sound unloading? why is that a thing?).

> Anyhow, it sounds like whatever improved the problem along one route didn't fix it
> for other routes. Have you tried running a tracert to the different servers? That
> might tell you where the problem is happening. If it's on your ISPs servers, you
> might even be able to get them to fix it, if you can fight your way through
> first-tier tech support.

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms
2 10 ms 13 ms 8 ms
3 10 ms 9 ms 10 ms
4 11 ms 11 ms 12 ms
5 13 ms 10 ms 22 ms
6 29 ms 19 ms 22 ms
7 17 ms 17 ms 18 ms
8 28 ms 23 ms 25 ms
9 18 ms 29 ms 17 ms
10 19 ms 20 ms 25 ms
11 18 ms 19 ms 17 ms
12 18 ms 19 ms 17 ms

Trace complete.

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms
2 8 ms 7 ms 9 ms
3 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms
4 11 ms 11 ms 11 ms
5 11 ms 11 ms 11 ms
6 23 ms 19 ms 11 ms
7 10 ms 11 ms 11 ms
8 50 ms 51 ms 49 ms
9 56 ms 49 ms 49 ms
10 49 ms 50 ms 50 ms
11 50 ms 51 ms 55 ms
12 50 ms 51 ms 49 ms
13 52 ms 51 ms 51 ms
14 51 ms 52 ms 53 ms
15 55 ms 53 ms 52 ms

Trace complete.

Heavy censoring to protect everything, but the second one, with the 50s, is Gat's. The other is the one that's still slow.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#298700 - 11/09/12 08:25 PM

I guess it's something specific to Minecraft then? Or maybe it takes more traffic than a tracert generates before things go weird.

You don't have anything like port triggering or traffic shaping enabled on your router, do you? I had one a while back that would crash with port triggering enabled every time I joined a torrent. I could see one getting overhwelmed by the traffic from an online game and introducing latency trying to process every packet.

Either that, or maybe your ISP is doing some kind of traffic shaping. Maybe they're misidentifying the traffic from Minecraft and trying to throttle it like a torrent? I'd be curious to see if any other online games have the same issue.

Edited by DMala (11/09/12 08:26 PM)

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: Confused. Minecraft. Ping. new [Re: DMala]
#298702 - 11/09/12 09:33 PM

> I guess it's something specific to Minecraft then? Or maybe it takes more traffic
> than a tracert generates before things go weird.
>
> You don't have anything like port triggering or enabled on your
> router, do you? I had one a while back that would crash with port triggering enabled
> every time I joined a torrent. I could see one getting overhwelmed by the traffic
> from an online game and introducing latency trying to process every packet.
>
> Either that, or maybe your ISP is doing some kind of traffic shaping. Maybe they're
> misidentifying the traffic from Minecraft and trying to throttle it like a torrent?
> I'd be curious to see if any other online games have the same issue.

No port triggering, no clue on traffic shaping.

I torrented something just the other day, it moved through the pipes at expected speeds. SECTV isn't really much of a giant media conglomerate. I think the service is through something in PA. They try not to say.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

#299031 - 11/15/12 02:45 AM

Our MC world zip grew from 270 MB 1 month ago to 396 MB!

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: Confused. Minecraft. Ping. new [Re: GatKong]
#299061 - 11/15/12 10:57 AM

> Our MC world zip grew from 270 MB 1 month ago to 396 MB!

Well, bigger doesn't mean faster. My problems well pre-date the growth, and the resolution, such as it has been, followed it, but did not coincide. About 100MB of that growth is likely nothing but ocean.

BTW, there's a 1.4.4 update out right now. A real one. Fixes big bugs, creates a few new ones (ghost torchlight).

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

#299070 - 11/15/12 05:33 PM

On it... updated the server yesterday.

DC's sand machine still works, so apparently they didn't "fix" the multiply bug for sand/gravel/eggs like the info said.

His machine makes multiple stacks of sand in seconds... and can crash the server in minutes if he were leave it on and not collect the sand... we didn't know until I read the update info... but apparently if he put the dragon egg in his machine, it would do the same thing.

I grumble... but he claims he's using this WMD for peaceful purposes... apparently making a giant sandstone pyramid. UN inspectors are observing his production facilities.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

#299087 - 11/15/12 10:52 PM

> On it... updated the server yesterday.
>
> DC's sand machine still works, so apparently they didn't "fix" the multiply bug for
> sand/gravel/eggs like the info said.
>
> His machine makes multiple stacks of sand in seconds... and can crash the server in
> minutes if he were leave it on and not collect the sand... we didn't know until I
> read the update info... but apparently if he put the dragon egg in his machine, it
> would do the same thing.
>
> I grumble... but he claims he's using this WMD for peaceful purposes... apparently
> making a giant sandstone pyramid. UN inspectors are observing his production
> facilities.

He can't be bothered going out to get the sandstone? Build a Wither Boss on it.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

#299090 - 11/15/12 11:38 PM

>Build a Wither Boss on it.

Have you seen any withers? I haven't seen ANY withers, and I spent about an hour in a fortress getting blaze etc.

I DID see blazes not far from our base camp... and did some reading... they apparently only spawn in fortresses... which is interesting! Either there is a fortress near there we have yet to discover (under ground?), or the game glitched, but I saw not just one but two.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

#299123 - 11/16/12 01:44 PM

> > Build a Wither Boss on it.
>
> Have you seen any withers? I haven't seen ANY withers, and I spent about an hour in a
> fortress getting blaze etc.
>
> I DID see blazes not far from our base camp... and did some reading... they
> apparently only spawn in fortresses... which is interesting! Either there is a
> fortress near there we have yet to discover (under ground?), or the game glitched,
> but I saw not just one but two.

No, I've only entered the nether recently to access your project.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

#299158 - 11/17/12 01:51 AM

Now I'm truly confused.... I was jumped by a wither skeleton in the nether near our base camp... that's two mobs which are reported to exist only within nether castles... but I've dug high and low around our base camp area... no castle anywhere.

Either way, I've begun an expedition in the nether for another castle closer to home... no luck so far. How DC found that first one amazes me given how far away it is.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

#299176 - 11/17/12 02:05 PM

> Now I'm truly confused.... I was jumped by a wither skeleton in the nether near our
> base camp... that's two mobs which are reported to exist only within nether
> castles... but I've dug high and low around our base camp area... no castle anywhere.
>
> Either way, I've begun an expedition in the nether for another castle closer to
> home... no luck so far. How DC found that first one amazes me given how far away it
> is.

Hmm... Perhaps... yeah... remember the biome switching we got between versions back when the world was young? Maybe the nether got some of that, too.

"Nether Fortress" is a sub-biome, hidden from the normal detection methods. It is any chunk which would, when freshly generated, contain a section of a fortress. The world gen rules may have altered after our first visits, putting such an area in a place that doesn't have the structure.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

Case in point new [Re: TriggerFin]
#299219 - 11/17/12 11:56 PM Attachment: 2012-11-17_15.50.58.png 630 KB (0 downloads)

>The world gen rules may have altered after our first visits, putting such an area in a place that doesn't have the structure.

After killing yet another Wither, I looked up to this... four Blazes.

Total bummer, because it seems a fortress is intended to be AT our base camp!

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 300 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1679