Pages: 1

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

MAME HLSL and Intel HD 4000
#298150 - 10/27/12 07:53 PM

It's computer upgrade time. Will be based on an i5 3570k.

Anyone here know how does MAME w/ HLSL perform with Intel HD 4000? The Google is coming up kinda blank for me on that question.

I don't really need more than that for anything else I use the computer for (Photoshop, watching videos).

Trying to see if there is any reason for me to get a video card, if the built-in is good enough. (Don't really do PC gaming).

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: MAME HLSL and Intel HD 4000 new [Re: Mr. Do]
#298152 - 10/27/12 08:12 PM

> It's computer upgrade time. Will be based on an i5 3570k.
>
> Anyone here know how does MAME w/ HLSL perform with Intel HD 4000? The Google is
> coming up kinda blank for me on that question.
>
> I don't really need more than that for anything else I use the computer for
> (Photoshop, watching videos).
>
> Trying to see if there is any reason for me to get a video card, if the built-in is
> good enough. (Don't really do PC gaming).

The only real requirement is that it do Shader 3.0.. in which case, your HD4000 is listed at Shader 5.0 compatability. Since it's a recent to this year version release, I suspect it shouldn't have a problem with HLSL. Best way to find out specifically is to test it .. -hlsl_enable and see if the speed differs from a normal non -hlsl run - on a good card there should be little to no difference.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#298153 - 10/27/12 08:17 PM

If you don't need the video card then skip it for now and build the rig to do your own testing. If things don't run right you can always run to some retail or newegg a video card only if you feel you need it after your tests.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#298161 - 10/27/12 11:46 PM

We'd genuinely like to know. In theory it should work if you aren't running ultra-high-res (e.g. 720P-ish or less), but it's hard to judge. If anyone has any data points on this, do post them here

I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that we're getting very close to "you should consider waiting for Haswell" time as well. Late winter/early spring and it'll have much-improved onboard graphics plus a 5-15% performance boost at the same clock, plus additional power/heat savings.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

#298164 - 10/28/12 12:22 AM

Real brief, while I have access to internet (I'm in the process of moving and have been with very VERY limited internet for the last few months..)

Check out my old benchmarks from my i5 laptop. That's running nVidia Optimus technology with an Intel HD4000 behind it. Suffice to say, the numbers actually surprised me.

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 367 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3698