MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Billkwando
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/11/07
Send PM

Steel Talons sound stuttering, help requested (solved)
#297867 - 10/22/12 02:41 AM

Hello!

I'm trying to play Steel Talons, and no matter what settings I change, the audio always seems to stutter during gameplay. I made a video so it can be heard:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLnoOJh5kgw

and here's what it should sound like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l-9Oxp0GfA

Anyone have any suggestions? Running on Core 2 Duo 2.13ghz XP Media Center Edition SP3 with 3.5gigs of ram and a Geforce 8800GTS

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: Steel Talons sound stuttering, help requested new [Re: Billkwando]
#297879 - 10/22/12 03:31 AM

> Hello!
>
> I'm trying to play Steel Talons, and no matter what settings I change, the audio
> always seems to stutter during gameplay. I made a video so it can be heard:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLnoOJh5kgw
>
> and here's what it should sound like:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l-9Oxp0GfA
>
> Anyone have any suggestions? Running on Core 2 Duo 2.13ghz XP Media Center Edition
> SP3 with 3.5gigs of ram and a Geforce 8800GTS

You should try frameskip. That game has a lot going on under the hood and to be honest at low ghz Core Duo might have trouble hitting 100% at skip 0. On my Athlon64 X2 4400 (2.2ghz), I run about 90-100% while playing in game at full frameskip.

Start the game with autoframeskip on (-afs). Use f11 to view your speed and adjust frameskip with f8 and f9.

Billkwando
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Steel Talons sound stuttering, help requested new [Re: Tafoid]
#297882 - 10/22/12 03:47 AM

> > Hello!
> >
> > I'm trying to play Steel Talons, and no matter what settings I change, the audio
> > always seems to stutter during gameplay. I made a video so it can be heard:
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLnoOJh5kgw
> >
> > and here's what it should sound like:
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l-9Oxp0GfA
> >
> > Anyone have any suggestions? Running on Core 2 Duo 2.13ghz XP Media Center Edition
> > SP3 with 3.5gigs of ram and a Geforce 8800GTS
>
> You should try frameskip. That game has a lot going on under the hood and to be
> honest at low ghz Core Duo might have trouble hitting 100% at skip 0. On my Athlon64
> X2 4400 (2.2ghz), I run about 90-100% while playing in game at full frameskip.
>
> Start the game with autoframeskip on (-afs). Use f11 to view your speed and adjust
> frameskip with f8 and f9.

Thanks for replying.

Whatever setting I put it on, it ranges from low 70s to high 80s, and the sound never smoothes out. Any other suggestions? Any other way to optimize?

I didn't know if resolution made a difference...I've tried running at my monitor res (1920x1080) and with the game on auto + stretch and that didn't seem to make any difference.

Edited by Billkwando (10/22/12 03:53 AM)

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#297885 - 10/22/12 04:55 AM

pastebin your mame.ini

Billkwando
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Steel Talons sound stuttering, help requested new [Re: B2K24]
#297886 - 10/22/12 05:01 AM

> pastebin your mame.ini

I hope I did it right: http://pastebin.com/GAZPDZZw

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#297900 - 10/22/12 03:37 PM

> Anyone have any suggestions? Running on Core 2 Duo 2.13ghz XP Media Center Edition
> SP3 with 3.5gigs of ram and a Geforce 8800GTS

That's just too slow, especially in 32-bit. You might have a fighting chance of frameskip making the sound smooth in 64-bit on that h/w but even that's doubtful.

Billkwando
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Steel Talons sound stuttering, help requested new [Re: R. Belmont]
#309018 - 05/21/13 05:56 AM

> > Anyone have any suggestions? Running on Core 2 Duo 2.13ghz XP Media Center Edition
> > SP3 with 3.5gigs of ram and a Geforce 8800GTS
>
> That's just too slow, especially in 32-bit. You might have a fighting chance of
> frameskip making the sound smooth in 64-bit on that h/w but even that's doubtful.

Hi again!

My PC crapped out and I'm going to build a new one, and I figured I might as well go ahead and do it with Steel Talons in mind (lol I love that game, and have never been able to get it running right between rom issues and the issue above). This is the mobo/cpu I'm considering, just FYI:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1306325

What would you recommend, specs wise, to be able run the game smoothly without the stutter?

Thanks!

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Steel Talons: Benchmarks wanted! new [Re: Billkwando]
#309039 - 05/21/13 03:32 PM

> My PC crapped out and I'm going to build a new one, and I figured I might as well go
> ahead and do it with Steel Talons in mind (lol I love that game, and have never been
> able to get it running right between rom issues and the issue above). This is the
> mobo/cpu I'm considering, just FYI:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1306325
>
> What would you recommend, specs wise, to be able run the game smoothly without the
> stutter?

I don't know if there's been any real benchmarking of Steel Talons, even in John IV's benches. Maybe we can collect some data?

Billkwando
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Steel Talons: Benchmarks wanted! new [Re: R. Belmont]
#309044 - 05/21/13 04:38 PM

> > My PC crapped out and I'm going to build a new one, and I figured I might as well
> go
> > ahead and do it with Steel Talons in mind (lol I love that game, and have never
> been
> > able to get it running right between rom issues and the issue above). This is the
> > mobo/cpu I'm considering, just FYI:
> >
> > http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1306325
> >
> > What would you recommend, specs wise, to be able run the game smoothly without the
> > stutter?
>
> I don't know if there's been any real benchmarking of Steel Talons, even in John IV's
> benches. Maybe we can collect some data?

Is there anything I can do to help? I know nothing about benchmarking, but my wife has a pimped out laptop with like 6 gigs of ram and crossfire (if that would even help with MAME, I'm foggy in technical area when it comes to games...I'm more of a console guy).

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#309046 - 05/21/13 04:58 PM

Do you know what crapped out because if that computer was running 64-bit Windows 7 with a small overclock it would probably do Steel Talons full speed. I have something similar but my Core2Duo is at 3.5 Ghz and runs that game over 200% consistently in game.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Steel Talons sound stuttering, help requested new [Re: Smitdogg]
#309047 - 05/21/13 05:00 PM

mame64 -bench 120 steeltal

279% here on i7 930 @ stock 2.8 GHz

Billkwando
MAME Fan
Send PM

#309048 - 05/21/13 05:01 PM

> Do you know what crapped out because if that computer was running 64-bit Windows 7
> with a small overclock it would probably do Steel Talons full speed. I have something
> similar but my Core2Duo is at 3.5 Ghz and runs that game over 200% consistently in
> game.

It was the mobo, methinks. Everything lights up and runs but no boot and no beep codes. It was an E6400 2.13ghz running on 3.5 gigs of ram and on XP, so the OS was probably a factor. Also, my graphics card is rather old, the 8800GTS. Does the graphics card matter much in this case?

Your sound is smooth I assume?

Edited by Billkwando (05/21/13 05:02 PM)

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#309049 - 05/21/13 05:10 PM

Your graphics card is fine unless you get into particularly heavy hlsl settings. I have one of the 8800 cards in my PC. The sound is fine. The stuttering happens when you don't have enough CPU power. Anyway I'd guess a Core2Duo around 2.5 Ghz would be a safe bet for running it over 100%. Just make sure to run a 64bit Windows 7 or 8 and use the 64bit mame.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Steel Talons sound stuttering, help requested new [Re: B2K24]
#309050 - 05/21/13 05:11 PM

That method doesn't work. Running attract mode is often not as demanding as running a game.

Billkwando
MAME Fan
Send PM

#309051 - 05/21/13 05:16 PM

> Your graphics card is fine unless you get into particularly heavy hlsl settings. I
> have one of the 8800 cards in my PC. The sound is fine. The stuttering happens when
> you don't have enough CPU power. Anyway I'd guess a Core2Duo around 2.5 Ghz would be
> a safe bet for running it over 100%. Just make sure to run a 64bit Windows 7 or 8 and
> use the 64bit mame.

I see, so the i3 processor I linked above should be more than enough to run it? Hypothetically, would it run ok in XP with that cpu? I know at this point it would be pretty dumb to start over in XP, but I have some controllers that I am very attached to that don't have 64 bit drivers, and it's gonna hurt to give them up (for one, the PS2 Hori flight stick that I intended to use for Steel Talons....oh the irony). I'm still planning on going 64, but just weighing my options.

Thanks so much for everyone's input so far!

Edited by Billkwando (05/21/13 05:19 PM)

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#309052 - 05/21/13 05:20 PM

> Hypothetically, would it run ok in XP with that cpu?

I have no idea. Someone would have to benchmark it in 32bit land with a similar setup. It is a shame the way controllers don't get new drivers. I actually had to hack together pieces from 2 different Saiteks recently because the driver support is so piss poor for older ones.

Billkwando
MAME Fan
Send PM

#309533 - 05/29/13 06:47 PM

I decided to set up my system as a dual boot 7/XP machine, that way I can try to run Steel Talons (as well as DTXMania, my EMS Trio Linker, and anything else that won't work on 64bit) on XP with my PS2 Hori flight stick (on the upgraded hardware!) but still have Win7 to take advantage of my 8 gigs of ram and all the other fancy modern stuff.

Thanks for the continued advices guys. I'll post back and let you know if it works out.....for science!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#309534 - 05/29/13 06:54 PM

I'm not sure how much experience you have but remember there is a 32bit version of Windows7 so be sure not to use that one. If it doesn't run full speed in your 7/64bit setup with mame64 the first thing to do is look in your bios for the built in overclock settings. Pretty much every motherboard these days has them other than if you buy a prebuilt from some place hike HP or whatever. I would just do small overclocks until you get there. If you go too heavy you'll need special cooling.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#309543 - 05/29/13 11:05 PM

> > > Anyone have any suggestions? Running on Core 2 Duo 2.13ghz XP Media Center
> Edition
> > > SP3 with 3.5gigs of ram and a Geforce 8800GTS
> >
> > That's just too slow, especially in 32-bit. You might have a fighting chance of
> > frameskip making the sound smooth in 64-bit on that h/w but even that's doubtful.
>
> Hi again!
>
> My PC crapped out and I'm going to build a new one, and I figured I might as well go
> ahead and do it with Steel Talons in mind (lol I love that game, and have never been
> able to get it running right between rom issues and the issue above). This is the
> mobo/cpu I'm considering, just FYI:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1306325
>
> What would you recommend, specs wise, to be able run the game smoothly without the
> stutter?
>
> Thanks!

PC crapped out you say... if the mainboard and graphics card both look fine but the PC doesn't even spin the fans when powered on, rip apart the PSU and you'll probably find a ton of pointy caps inside. Probably with something like CapXon, TEAPO or Fuhjyyu written on the side.

A lot of cheaper Chinese-made PSUs don't like systems which are newer than a Pentium 3. Apparently they still think that the 5V rail needs 30+ amps and the 12V only needs 10-20A, and that the -5V pin (white wire) is still required...

Billkwando
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Steel Talons sound stuttering, help requested new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#309544 - 05/30/13 12:13 AM

> > > > Anyone have any suggestions? Running on Core 2 Duo 2.13ghz XP Media Center
> > Edition
> > > > SP3 with 3.5gigs of ram and a Geforce 8800GTS
> > >
> > > That's just too slow, especially in 32-bit. You might have a fighting chance of
> > > frameskip making the sound smooth in 64-bit on that h/w but even that's doubtful.
>
> >
> > Hi again!
> >
> > My PC crapped out and I'm going to build a new one, and I figured I might as well
> go
> > ahead and do it with Steel Talons in mind (lol I love that game, and have never
> been
> > able to get it running right between rom issues and the issue above). This is the
> > mobo/cpu I'm considering, just FYI:
> >
> > http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1306325
> >
> > What would you recommend, specs wise, to be able run the game smoothly without the
> > stutter?
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> PC crapped out you say... if the mainboard and graphics card both look fine but the
> PC doesn't even spin the fans when powered on, rip apart the PSU and you'll probably
> find a ton of pointy caps inside. Probably with something like CapXon, TEAPO or
> Fuhjyyu written on the side.
>
> A lot of cheaper Chinese-made PSUs don't like systems which are newer than a Pentium
> 3. Apparently they still think that the 5V rail needs 30+ amps and the 12V only needs
> 10-20A, and that the -5V pin (white wire) is still required...

Nah, I had a Thermaltake in there. It turned out that the video adapter wasn't being recognized, but for some reason it was giving no beep codes....so I thought the mobo was dead. I already bought a rack of parts now, so the rebuild is going forward full steam!

Billkwando
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Steel Talons sound stuttering, help requested (solved) new [Re: Billkwando]
#310665 - 06/22/13 06:07 AM

Hi all!

I just wanted to report back and say I got the game working just fine in XP with my flight stick. No stuttering, and it seems to always run at 99% without ever fluctuating.

Here's my specs:

MB: ASRock B75 Pro3-M / GPU: Nvidia 8800GTS 512 / CPU: Intel i3 3220 3.3ghz Ivy Bridge w/ stock cooler / Ram: Corsair Vengeance Blue 8 GB (2X4 GB) PC3-12800 1600mHz DDR3 / HDD: WD Blue 1 TB, 7200 RPM, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache - WD10EZE / Windows 7 & XP dual boot

Probably more info than needed but I just copy pasted it from my profile on another site. Obviously since I'm on XP I'm only using 4 gigs of the ram lol. If there's any way to run a proper benchmark I'd be happy to do it. I made a video just to see how it worked, but it's a good demonstration of how the game runs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYqS-1S5s3Q&feature=youtu.be

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#310677 - 06/22/13 09:47 PM

> I decided to set up my system as a dual boot 7/XP machine, that way I can try to run
> Steel Talons (as well as DTXMania, my EMS Trio Linker, and anything else that won't
> work on 64bit) on XP with my PS2 Hori flight stick (on the upgraded hardware!) but
> still have Win7 to take advantage of my 8 gigs of ram and all the other fancy modern
> stuff.

I found XP mode on Windows 7 to be pretty good for stuff like that.

Billkwando
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Steel Talons sound stuttering, help requested (solved) new [Re: ]
#310678 - 06/22/13 10:51 PM

> > I decided to set up my system as a dual boot 7/XP machine, that way I can try to
> run
> > Steel Talons (as well as DTXMania, my EMS Trio Linker, and anything else that won't
> > work on 64bit) on XP with my PS2 Hori flight stick (on the upgraded hardware!) but
> > still have Win7 to take advantage of my 8 gigs of ram and all the other fancy
> modern
> > stuff.
>
> I found XP mode on Windows 7 to be pretty good for stuff like that.

It's no help when it comes to installing 32 bit drivers, from what I understand.

Edited by Billkwando (06/23/13 12:22 AM)

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Steel Talons sound stuttering, help requested (solved) new [Re: Billkwando]
#310687 - 06/23/13 06:17 AM

> > I found XP mode on Windows 7 to be pretty good for stuff like that.
>
> It's no help when it comes to installing 32 bit drivers, from what I understand.

Works perfectly for any USB device with 32-bit custom drivers, actually. I used it to run my TopMax II until EETools finally acknowledged the current century

Billkwando
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Steel Talons sound stuttering, help requested (solved) new [Re: R. Belmont]
#310688 - 06/23/13 06:38 AM

> > > I found XP mode on Windows 7 to be pretty good for stuff like that.
> >
> > It's no help when it comes to installing 32 bit drivers, from what I understand.
>
> Works perfectly for any USB device with 32-bit custom drivers, actually. I used it to
> run my TopMax II until EETools finally acknowledged the current century

Oh that's awesome news. Guess I got some bad info. Wish I'd known that before I went through all the trouble to dual boot XP, but I learned a lot and at least I have it in case I need it. I'll have to try the Virtual PC thing and see if I can get it going. Thanks!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 358 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2331