MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

I found this thread today on byuu's message board.
#297717 - 10/19/12 03:37 AM

http://board.byuu.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3324

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: I found this thread today on byuu's message board. new [Re: Dullaron]
#297718 - 10/19/12 03:54 AM

Well for shits and giggles I downloaded the latest bsnes or hiagain and ran the purifier thing on a few games for a test. I was expecting the defaulted settings to at least slightly resemble what I remember my SNES looking like, but it was a major disappointment. The default video settings look like garbage and the video filters it did have are complete crap.

SNES in MESS with HLSL >> bsnes (hiagain)

Dullaron
Send PM

Re: I found this thread today on byuu's message board. new [Re: B2K24]
#297733 - 10/19/12 10:09 AM

> Well for shits and giggles I downloaded the latest bsnes or hiagain and ran the
> purifier thing on a few games for a test. I was expecting the defaulted settings to
> at least slightly resemble what I remember my SNES looking like, but it was a major
> disappointment. The default video settings look like garbage and the video filters it
> did have are complete crap.
>
> SNES in MESS with HLSL >> bsnes (hiagain)

SNES will get better soon as every single bugs are gone on MESS. Yes MESS is better than bsnes/higan because of the HLSL support.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

#297735 - 10/19/12 10:47 AM

> > Well for shits and giggles I downloaded the latest bsnes or hiagain and ran the
> > purifier thing on a few games for a test. I was expecting the defaulted settings to
> > at least slightly resemble what I remember my SNES looking like, but it was a major
> > disappointment. The default video settings look like garbage and the video filters
> it
> > did have are complete crap.
> >
> > SNES in MESS with HLSL >> bsnes (hiagain)
>
> SNES will get better soon as every single bugs are gone on MESS. Yes MESS is better
> than bsnes/higan because of the HLSL support.

At the current stage, I always suggest to keep two emulators for main systems. You first try MESS and you see if the game works. Otherwise, you use the system specific emulator (and possibly you report the issue on MameTesters or to the MESS forum).

on average MESS is pretty good, and if you have a HLSL capable video card it can really offer a great experience, but none of the dev denies that there are often specific games which do not work yet (or classes of games using a common feature, like the SNES games using the BS-X expansion or the SA-1 addon chip, which are currently not supported in MESS), so if you are specifically interested into those games MESS alone is not enough for you.
as Haze says quite often, we aim to accuracy but emulating all the features needed by thousand of games for each system is not so easy as one might think.
since we avoid game-specific hacks, this means that we end up with some games not working...

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

that's it, from now on I'm calling it higgins *nt* new [Re: B2K24]
#297740 - 10/19/12 11:59 AM

> Well for shits and giggles I downloaded the latest bsnes or hiagain and ran the
> purifier thing on a few games for a test. I was expecting the defaulted settings to
> at least slightly resemble what I remember my SNES looking like, but it was a major
> disappointment. The default video settings look like garbage and the video filters it
> did have are complete crap.
>
> SNES in MESS with HLSL >> bsnes (hiagain)

- Stiletto

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#297755 - 10/19/12 05:36 PM

> http://board.byuu.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3324

When you're implementing a container format when a zip file would do, then you're doing it wrong. Which is why Microsoft now uses zip files for Word documents.

Bundling the dsp dumps in with the game rom is just going to cause complications, it wastes space & is bad documentation. He's going to make you download the spc rom separately still, my guess is that he must have run out of sane things to do & wanted some love for inventing a file format.

ReadOnly
MESSfan
Reged: 10/24/10
Loc: Paris La Défense
Send PM

Re: I found this thread today on byuu's message board. new [Re: ]
#297855 - 10/21/12 10:32 PM

> > http://board.byuu.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3324
>
> When you're implementing a container format when a zip file would do, then you're
> doing it wrong. Which is why Microsoft now uses zip files for Word documents.
>
> Bundling the dsp dumps in with the game rom is just going to cause complications, it
> wastes space & is bad documentation. He's going to make you download the spc rom
> separately still, my guess is that he must have run out of sane things to do & wanted
> some love for inventing a file format.

To me, sounds like byuu wanting bsnes to have its own original romset. I am not saying it's good or bad, he does whatever he wants with his emulator.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: I found this thread today on byuu's message board. new [Re: ReadOnly]
#297857 - 10/21/12 10:51 PM

> > > http://board.byuu.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3324
> >
> > When you're implementing a container format when a zip file would do, then you're
> > doing it wrong. Which is why Microsoft now uses zip files for Word documents.
> >
> > Bundling the dsp dumps in with the game rom is just going to cause complications,
> it
> > wastes space & is bad documentation. He's going to make you download the spc rom
> > separately still, my guess is that he must have run out of sane things to do &
> wanted
> > some love for inventing a file format.
>
> To me, sounds like byuu wanting bsnes to have its own original romset. I am not
> saying it's good or bad, he does whatever he wants with his emulator.

The funniest bit is he's tried before...

- Stiletto

Matty_
Part-time troll
Reged: 01/25/08
Send PM

Re: that's it, from now on I'm calling it higgins new [Re: Stiletto]
#297866 - 10/22/12 02:40 AM

I'm reading it “hi again” as in “hello again”.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: I found this thread today on byuu's message board. new [Re: Stiletto]
#297899 - 10/22/12 03:35 PM

> The funniest bit is he's tried before...

Lots of emulators have tried before. Even Retrocopy gave up on teh ruling-the-world-with-custom-rom-formats thing.

byuu needs to start writing bmegadrive instead of messing around with this crap

ReadOnly
MESSfan
Send PM

Re: I found this thread today on byuu's message board. new [Re: R. Belmont]
#298324 - 10/31/12 09:54 AM

OK so his database has the dsp appended anyway, he doesn't even listen to the last of his fanbase, and now I will need to concate the roms in order to calculate the checksum of the unmodified rom images, lovely.

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

#298325 - 10/31/12 10:03 AM

> OK so his database has the dsp appended anyway, he doesn't even listen to the last of
> his fanbase, and now I will need to concate the roms in order to calculate the
> checksum of the unmodified rom images, lovely.

luckily, DSP games are a minor portion of the huge snes library
I think you can easily cook up a .bat script (to be launched in a folder with the uncompressed files) which concatenate the files, print out the checksum and then delete the composed file

ReadOnly
MESSfan
Send PM

Re: I found this thread today on byuu's message board. new [Re: etabeta]
#298326 - 10/31/12 10:40 AM

Yes that won't be Labours of Hercules but I needed to figure out what he appended to what since it's not really documented. After several unsuccessful tests, I have worked my way through it, he's using alternate dsp roms which are different from the MESS ones, the endianness and mapping are different. Even though neither MESS nor byuu's dumps can be called perfect at this time, I would really love to know how MESS ended with what it has now.

Dullaron
Send PM

#298340 - 10/31/12 08:27 PM

> Yes that won't be Labours of Hercules but I needed to figure out what he appended to
> what since it's not really documented. After several unsuccessful tests, I have
> worked my way through it, he's using alternate dsp roms which are different from the
> MESS ones, the endianness and mapping are different. Even though neither MESS nor
> byuu's dumps can be called perfect at this time, I would really love to know how MESS
> ended with what it has now.

I think all the ROM's, floppies, and everything else need to be re-dump for MESS. Too many dumps that can't be trusted that been dumped from other people. Can't even tell which ones are bad or good or everything else. Good thing on the MAME side can be trusted because of the dumpers who they know. Anyway MESS is in a MESS right now until everything is trusted.

ReadOnly
MESSfan
Send PM

#298360 - 11/01/12 07:39 AM

> I think all the ROM's, floppies, and everything else need to be re-dump for MESS. Too
> many dumps that can't be trusted that been dumped from other people. Can't even tell
> which ones are bad or good or everything else. Good thing on the MAME side can be
> trusted because of the dumpers who they know. Anyway MESS is in a MESS right now
> until everything is trusted.

You are now being very annoying and if possible I'd like to add you to my ignore list. The reality is far more complex than what you think it is. You can't look globally at mame, mess or whatever rom set you rely onto. Each driver and each rom has its own history, intricacies and can be more or less accurate. Even the most experienced devs or the most experienced dumpers can't know everything and may have a lot of misconceptions. So your manichean statements sound ridiculous to me.

Dullaron
Send PM

#298363 - 11/01/12 01:26 PM

> You are now being very annoying and if possible I'd like to add you to my ignore
> list. The reality is far more complex than what you think it is. You can't look
> globally at mame, mess or whatever rom set you rely onto. Each driver and each rom
> has its own history, intricacies and can be more or less accurate. Even the most
> experienced devs or the most experienced dumpers can't know everything and may have a
> lot of misconceptions. So your manichean statements sound ridiculous to me.

Sorry about being mean on my last post. Ah forget it.

byuu
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/17/06
Send PM

#298382 - 11/02/12 12:35 AM

Remind me about this thread when you guys are asking me for my help again.

The reason I am concatenating the firmware onto ROMs is because I am personally redumping the entire SNES library. The "HiROM"/"LoROM" maps are incorrect, as the real PCB maps are a lot more interesting and varied. Se http://byuu.org/snes/database/ to see for yourself.

It is substantially quicker for me to do this if I can have one unique file per game, and so that I can test a dumped/mapped game by loading it and only it into my emulator, without having to keep firmware files in my game dump folder. There are a few games where they were released with DSP-1 firmware, and then with DSP-1B firmware. By hashing the firmware as well, this gives each game a unique hash for each. It also lets me verify the correct firmware was used once a game was loaded. It's part of the ROM data inside the cart. Just like PRG+CHR ROM are in NES carts, and PRG+DAT ROMs are in SNES SPC7110 carts. Nobody's ever complained about concatenating SPC7110 images.

I am not trying to force anyone to append firmware onto their ROMs. My emulator natively loads files that have been split apart by ROM purpose/type in a folder. It's basically like an uncompressed ZIP that allows me to write data without rebuilding the archive. I am also not trying to force people to distribute game folders in "my" format.

Why is it a big deal when I make a new format, but MAME making the NSS format different from every other emulator is perfectly acceptable?

How you load games into the emulator has not changed. I've always provided tools to do as many loading types as possible.

These merged ROMs exist only on my hard drive, and I do *not* give out game ROMs to anyone, ever, period. If people want to copy my format they can; if they don't want to, they don't have to.

If a "bsnes ROM set" is made, it won't be my doing.

> SNES in MESS with HLSL >> bsnes

I have HLSL shader support (had it before MESS), and also GLSL shader support. The latter works on more than just Windows. Which seems important for an emulator, at least to me. Seems to also be true for others as 95% of shaders made for my project are in GLSL format.

And personally, I think emulating more games with less bugs is more important than pretty filters, but to each his own.

> Bundling the dsp dumps in with the game rom is just going to cause complications, it wastes space & is bad documentation.

Including all regions and revisions, multiplied by the firmware size, this "wastes" less than 200KB of space (over storing one copy of each) in return for not failing when the user doesn't obtain firmware files separately and put them in the right place. DSP firmware is 8KB in size. Cx4 is 3KB. Only one game each for ST011 and ST018 anyway.

Speaking of wasting space, why does MAME/MESS include the DSP1B firmware with NSS games like Contra 3 that don't have those chips on them? And why is the SPC700 firmware, which exists on the SNES mainboard, in there?

> He's going to make you download the spc rom separately still

The SPC700 IPLROM does not exist inside the cartridges like the DSP firmware does. However, it's not copyrightable as per Lexmark v Static Control Components. So it's included with my emulator.

> The funniest bit is he's tried before...

Nothing I've promoted was meant to be exclusive to bsnes. I just don't give a shit if others aren't interested in it.

You can stick with iNES and incorrect SNES memory maps, it doesn't matter to me.

I've always gone out of my way to offer a way to load standard SMC images in ZIP files with copier headers. You can associate them with the current release of bsnes and they'll just work.

> byuu needs to start writing bmegadrive instead of messing around with this crap

I'll let you know when I'm taking requests =)
PS - please don't delete my post again, they take up too much space on my website.

> OK so his database has the dsp appended anyway, he doesn't even listen to the last of his fanbase, and now I will need to concate the roms in order to calculate the checksum of the unmodified rom images, lovely.

Do you think Mozart asked his fans how he should write his music? Did Einstein ask John Q Public how relativity worked? I'm not comparing myself to geniuses, just making a point.

Why would I take design advice from people who have little to no experience? "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing."

When I solicit advice, I weigh its importance based on the person saying it; not on the number of people saying it.

> I needed to figure out what he appended to what since it's not really documented.

It is completely documented.

http:/byuu.org/snes/database/

> Even though neither MESS nor byuu's dumps can be called perfect at this time, I would really love to know how MESS ended with what it has now.

Like bsnes, MESS does whatever it wants, regardless of external criticism. We're actually very much alike in that regard. Strong programs need strong leaders who don't cave to peer pressure like this thread.

The DSP files have no observable endianness. You cannot perform 8-bit reads, only full 24-bit (program) and 16-bit (data) reads. You may say otherwise based on some die photo arrangement, we will agree to disagree.

Dr. Decapitator made the images with <24-bit big endian> + <8-bit 0xFF padding> and <16-bit big endian>

I removed the padding and combined the files to make the original .bin files. Later I reversed the endian to make the .rom files. Presently, I split them into two separate files. Call it indecisiveness if you want, I call it refinement and willingness to admit past mistakes.

The endian swap was because there is no actual endian, and 100% of other SNES data is little endian -- in fact, so is all NES, GB, GBC, GBA, NDS stuff as well. This allowed me to use a shared N-bit array reader function for all data. No implied knowledge of a file's endianness is needed, just remember that it's all LE and you're good.

So long as the end result is 100% identical, I prefer consistency. MESS favors staying true to perceived notions of how things are. See Super A'can ROMs for instance. Nothing wrong with either approach, but you'll always have fanboys cheering for one or the other.

> that's it, from now on I'm calling it higgins

Nightcrawler calls it higan/buddhist holiday.

You can do better than that: you guys were more creative with "BullShitNES"

If anyone does care, it's pronounced closer to "he gone", without the pause. Perhaps you can make a funny joke with "he gone"? Don't disappoint me =)

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

Re: I found this thread today on byuu's message board. new [Re: byuu]
#298384 - 11/02/12 12:51 AM Attachment: hawk-harrelson1.jpg 140 KB (1 downloads)

"If anyone does care, it's pronounced closer to "he gone", without the pause."

Good ole Hawk Harrelson

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

ReadOnly
MESSfan
Send PM

Re: I found this thread today on byuu's message board. new [Re: byuu]
#298399 - 11/02/12 07:56 AM

> So long as the end result is 100% identical, I prefer consistency. MESS favors
> staying true to perceived notions of how things are. See Super A'can ROMs for
> instance. Nothing wrong with either approach, but you'll always have fanboys cheering
> for one or the other.

OK thanks for the infos, with all due respect you modified the dsp firmware images for various reasons which you consider legitimate and that's your right, while MESS didn't modify the images. Personally I am going along with the MAME and MESS way of not modifying images for any reason.

Whatever, as I said you do what you want with your emulator and I have no grief, I don't use it so I don't feel I need to have an opinion about it.

Regardless, keep up your redumping efforts, they're appreciated.

>There are a few games where they were released with DSP-1 firmware, and then with DSP-1B firmware

The MESS software list format handles those just fine without modifying any rom. We have two cartridge entries with same rom but different enhancement chip, using different hashes is not required. If MESS intends to use the cic firmware dumps someday we will handle them the same way and we won't need to modify any hash there again.

Edited by ReadOnly (11/02/12 08:30 AM)

Dr. Spankenstein
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/15/10
Send PM

Re: I found this thread today on byuu's message board. new [Re: joey35car]
#298403 - 11/02/12 01:05 PM

Quote:

Do you think Mozart asked his fans how he should write his music?

Does his sister (Nannerl) count as a fan?

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#298415 - 11/02/12 05:04 PM

> OK thanks for the infos, with all due respect you modified the dsp firmware images
> for various reasons which you consider legitimate and that's your right, while MESS
> didn't modify the images. Personally I am going along with the MAME and MESS way of
> not modifying images for any reason.

Yup. We use the DSP images exactly as they come from popular device programmer/readers. Hence if you can find a field-programmable 7725 the MESS images will allow you to make replacement (or, perhaps more intriguingly, modified) SNES DSP-1s with no further work. I happen to think these readers prefer sub-optimal formats in many instances (e.g. 16-bit wide ROMs for big-endian systems have their bytes swapped and 772x dumps have the 0xFF padding) but standardization and consistency trump ideology for ROM formats.

This is what helps keep MAME from being a completely dirty word with the cabinet collecting "big boys", incidentally. Our ROM set is their repair workbench.

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

#298486 - 11/04/12 05:11 PM

I am not 100% sure but I THINK the dumps of the various DSP chips and stuff came from decapping. (or maybe from reading with a ROM dumper for those chips that are not read protected)

ReadOnly
MESSfan
Send PM

Re: I found this thread today on byuu's message board. new [Re: R. Belmont]
#298522 - 11/05/12 06:35 PM

OK so I'm still working on his list, almost finished, he didn't just concate rom images, he also trimmed some of them. To me it looks more and more like a bastard child list between goodsnes concating insanity and nsrt trimming madness, with a pinch of mess softlist extravaganza salt over it. Will it be a successful new recipe with old ingredients? Who knows?

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 165 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 5052