MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

*=/STARRIDER\=*
MAME Punk
Reged: 02/06/12
Loc: an open field west of a white house with a boarded front door.
Send PM

SSD
#297135 - 10/07/12 05:08 AM

I've wanted to grab one to play with, but not enough to pay the crazy prices. $$$

Not sure about your local store but my local Staples has the add out that they are selling a Kingston 128GB SSD for $80 as of tomorrow.

Mid-right on page 4:
http://weeklyad.staples.com/Staples/Brow...mp;pagenumber=1

I know I'll be there when the door opens at 11am to get mine!

There is no law in the arena

lordflux
Lurker
Reged: 10/13/03
Send PM

Re: SSD new [Re: *=/STARRIDER\=*]
#297136 - 10/07/12 10:00 AM

That's a good deal. A few weeks ago I bought an OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD to install as the primary drive in my nephew's new PC. Was my first experience with an SSD drive and it surpassed any and all expectations. Now I have the itch to get one for myself.

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: SSD new [Re: lordflux]
#297137 - 10/07/12 03:18 PM

The Samsung 830 series seems to always get rave reviews. I bought one and love it. It cut my boot time in half.

Are you planning on cloning your present drive or fresh install?

*=/STARRIDER\=*
MAME Punk
Reged: 02/06/12
Loc: an open field west of a white house with a boarded front door.
Send PM

#297161 - 10/08/12 01:14 AM

So I went to grab one this morning, I did check the website to be sure it said they had one in stock before leaving. When I get there I take the box to the cashier and she takes it to another lady who has access to the vault or where ever it is they keep those off the shelf items.

The second lady comes back maybe 45 seconds later and says they don't have any of the 128GB but they do have the 64GB.
I tell the cashier that the website says they have one in stock and she just shrugs and says we don't have any but I could order it online. I asked when it might arrive if I did and she said they were getting a truck tomorrow and maybe there would be some in that order.

I left less than satisfied with my Techy STAPLES online experience. When I got home, I checked again and sure enough it says they are in stock so I go ahead and put one on reserve and I get an email saying I will get another email when the drive is ready to be picked up.

Half an hour later I get the email. I call the store to confirm that it is there waiting and am ensured. I get to the store greeted by the same cashier, she thinks I want to order it at the store and I tried to explain to her it was there waiting in reserve.

A third lady now where the second lady was grabs the drive off the counter and brings it to the checkout. The cashier stunned at this point tells lady 3 that lady 2 had told her they didn't have any and she might need more training, while lady 3 continued to ring it up then walk away.

The cashier was fine no problem with her she was apologetic and cheerful about the whole ordeal.

Far as I can make is that someone in-store was trying to horde it and would have until I reserved it online then they had to give it up.

Other than the wonderful experience of obtaining it can't say much other than the fact that it comes with a slick little external enclosure makes it WELL worth the $80.

There is no law in the arena

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#297167 - 10/08/12 04:53 AM

> Far as I can make is that someone in-store was trying to horde it and would have
> until I reserved it online then they had to give it up.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence. I worked a lot of retail in high school and college, and I've found that a lot of people who do it are there because they literally aren't smart enough to do anything else. I'm sure their inventory system is all screwed up and she didn't even bother to go back and actually look at the shelf.

JWJr
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/15/04
Send PM

Re: SSD new [Re: DMala]
#297206 - 10/08/12 05:30 PM

> > Far as I can make is that someone in-store was trying to horde it and would have
> > until I reserved it online then they had to give it up.
>
> Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence. I worked
> a lot of retail in high school and college, and I've found that a lot of people who
> do it are there because they literally aren't smart enough to do anything else. I'm
> sure their inventory system is all screwed up and she didn't even bother to go back
> and actually look at the shelf.

I've seen this kind of thing at a number of computer-parts stores: their inventory says there are 1 or 2 left, but they can't find 'em. My guess has always been that that 1 or 2 walked out the door somewhere along the line. -JW

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: SSD new [Re: redk9258]
#297334 - 10/10/12 08:55 AM

My boot time was cut in half as well, and I'm not even using its full potential! My MB only has SATA 2 ports so I'd either have to buy a SATA 6Gbps addon card (and I'm not sure how to add F6 drivers without reinstalling windows but I AM sure that it's a PITA) or I'd have to get a new MB, CPU and probably RAM (I use tripple channel DDR3 at the moment).

I feel almost as bad with my setup now as I did when I had a MB with RDRAM in it...

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Mojo2000
Regular
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: North America
Send PM

RD-RAM LOL -nt- new [Re: URherenow]
#297831 - 10/21/12 04:35 AM

RD-RAM LOL -nt-

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 106 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1586