italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

random stoner thought
#296586 - 09/26/12 07:34 PM

(Read:stoner=haven't had my coffee yet)

Speed of light travel across three dimensions has the nasty side effect of time dilation. Five minutes to you seems like five years to everyone else....etc...

Could you compensate for that time discrepancy by altering your speed in the fourth dimension to faster/slowerthan 1 second per second?

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Re: random stoner thought new [Re: italie]
#296599 - 09/26/12 11:06 PM

>Could you compensate for that time discrepancy by altering your speed in the fourth dimension to faster/slowerthan 1 second per second?

Rate of time IS the fourth dimension, so I'd say no.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

#296600 - 09/26/12 11:16 PM

The speed of light is always what it is relative to any observer, and time dilation is the compensating factor that allows such an otherwise illogical condition. So you can't beat it, and the impossible math is why you can't go faster.

Still waiting on acceptance of time as the base dimension, rather than an emergent phenomenon. The theory gets rid of all those fiddly bits of "if any of these were just a hair different, the universe couldn't exist." It's unpopular enough that I can't find evidence of it. Maybe because it shuts down wormholes by forcing time to remain a very nearly flat plane, and makes string theory worthless.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: random stoner thought new [Re: GatKong]
#296614 - 09/27/12 04:50 AM

> > Could you compensate for that time discrepancy by altering your speed in the fourth
> dimension to faster/slowerthan 1 second per second?
>
> Rate of time IS the fourth dimension, so I'd say no.

I've thought this too, and it is a well accepted theory as being the aspect of duration (3rd Dimension is also Time at a single point just like 0 Dimension is space at a single point, 4th is time in one dimension or a line). But what about as a spacial dimension? This kid's vid made me think of that. He does have the video stop at a couple points to explain that he's aware of alternative ideas.

*need to find or make a new avatar with the flower of life morphing into a tesseract.

LEVEL-4

Matty_
Part-time troll
Reged: 01/25/08
Send PM

Re: random stoner thought new [Re: TriggerFin]
#296616 - 09/27/12 05:08 AM

> Maybe because it shuts down wormholes by forcing time to
> remain a very nearly flat plane, and makes string theory worthless.

Papers on string theory are published faster than the speed of light, but relativity is not violated because no information is transferred.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

Re: random stoner thought new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#296619 - 09/27/12 05:59 AM

The kid is smart, but his entire explaination is flawed.

For his description of an organism perceiving his 3 dimensional world in only 2 dimentions assumes monoscopic vision, and ignores stereoscopic vision with its resultant perception of depth... Perception of the 3rd dimention. This analogy, which he interpolates both backward into a 2 dimentional, and forward into a 4 dimentional world likewise carries with it the same flaw.... dumb ass.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: random stoner thought new [Re: GatKong]
#296620 - 09/27/12 06:02 AM

> The kid is smart, but his entire explaination is flawed.
>
> For his description of an organism perceiving his 3 dimensional world in only 2
> dimentions assumes monoscopic vision, and ignores stereoscopic vision with its
> resultant perception of depth... Perception of the 3rd dimention. This analogy, which
> he interpolates both backward into a 2 dimentional, and forward into a 4 dimentional
> world likewise carries with it the same flaw.... dumb ass.

Huh? stereoscopic is exactly as you stated, a perception of depth...an interpretation.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: random stoner thought new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#296629 - 09/27/12 11:35 AM

> This kid's vid made me think of that.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Boy-Who-Reversed-Himself/dp/0140389652/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

- Stiletto

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

#296636 - 09/27/12 02:30 PM

> Huh? stereoscopic is exactly as you stated, a perception of depth...an
> interpretation.

Right. Did you see the video? The kid says you can only percieve 2d in a 3d world. He omits depth perception in his explaination.

jeremymtc
Shot Maker
Reged: 01/09/07
Loc: Calimammy
Send PM

Re: random stoner thought new [Re: Matty_]
#296656 - 09/27/12 06:28 PM

> > Maybe because it shuts down wormholes by forcing time to
> > remain a very nearly flat plane, and makes string theory worthless.
>
> Papers on string theory are published faster than the speed of light, but relativity
> is not violated because no information is transferred.

I *know* that my cat weighs 10 pounds. When my cat is weighed on a scale though, she measures 20 pounds. Therefore, there must be an invisible 10 pound cat on my cat's back.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 57 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1766