MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Interesting new blog...
#294986 - 09/03/12 08:54 PM

Interesting new blog for classic arcade history.
http://allincolorforaquarter.blogspot.com/

It only started nine days ago. Here's the first post.
http://allincolorforaquarter.blogspot.com/2012/08/introduction-and-cinematronics-early.html

Here's the post that brought me there
http://allincolorforaquarter.blogspot.com/2012/08/pmcs-aztec-first-game-with.html

Relevant to my current research...

- Stiletto

CptGuapo
Beat'em-ups Lover
Reged: 03/18/08
Loc: Off to Never Never Land
Send PM

Re: Interesting new blog... new [Re: Stiletto]
#295006 - 09/03/12 11:59 PM

Very interesting indeed. Many relevant subjects covered with (at least at first sight) pretty serious research.

Thanks for sharing.

"Mythology is what grownups believe, folklore is what they tell children and religion is both."

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Interesting new blog... new [Re: CptGuapo]
#295014 - 09/04/12 02:15 AM

> Very interesting indeed. Many relevant subjects covered with (at least at first
> sight) pretty serious research.
>
> Thanks for sharing.

Yes, it's at least as good as the research work GDRI at http://gdri.smspower.org does, if not more so (because it's ALL old-fashioned detective work/trolling libraries/interviews/etc.)

I'm quite the fan already. And so serendipitously about something I'm currently investigating, you'd think I was writing it myself (but I'm not!)

This new class of videogame historian... sometimes makes me feel like myself and Randy Hoffman and Brian Deuel and Al K. and Safestuff were just playing in the sand, in the 90's-early 00's.

(To be honest, I think we could do/have done just as good a job at research, but we all have/had SO many projects going on... )

Bookmarked.

- Stiletto

hap
Reged: 12/01/08
Send PM

#295072 - 09/04/12 08:58 PM

nice reads =)
Let's hope he completes that book he's talking about, too.

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Interesting new blog... new [Re: hap]
#295081 - 09/04/12 10:18 PM

> nice reads =)
> Let's hope he completes that book he's talking about, too.

He told me with his amount of source material it could be 1000 pages. I said "I don't care, I'll pay for it."

- Stiletto

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#295084 - 09/04/12 11:06 PM

> > nice reads =)
> > Let's hope he completes that book he's talking about, too.
>
> He told me with his amount of source material it could be 1000 pages. I said "I don't
> care, I'll pay for it."

I hope it is 1000 pages. That'd be awesome.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

#295100 - 09/05/12 01:55 AM

>Interesting new blog for classic arcade history.

http://allincolorforaquarter.blogspot.com/

I like it. If he does searching on some Atari trivia, he will eventually find some info from former Atari programmer (Dave Shepherd) talking about how some of the unsold Atari Highway cabs were converted to Night Driver cabs after 1975 since Night Driver became more popular than my favorite Atari game then which was Highway. It was good to have Dave confirm my suspicions when I asked Dave on old MAME.net forum back in 2006 or 2007.

*1970s era arcade memories*

Being 10 or 11 years of age then, I had to accept the fact that arcade operators, or businesses didn't care for Highway since it probably wasn't a money maker compared to Night Driver. To me, it seemed that by end of 1976 any existing Highway cockpit cab out there was eventually converted to Night Driver. Hell with the "suits" for those 1970s era business decisions then. Time to emulate non-cpu game Atari Highway in MAME and show them "suits".....if any are still alive these days, and say "You won't win this time around."

Brian Deuel
Old Man
Reged: 01/09/04
Send PM

#295377 - 09/09/12 10:03 AM

Let's not forget James Hague and his mighty Giant List/Halcyon Days

Well, we *were* playing in the sand, so to speak. All we had to go on at the time was old gaming books, emails from programmers who had fuzzy memories, and our own research. Over time, more and more info came out of the woodwork as designers, programmers, and others involved in the gaming industry appeared and spilled out their memories. Adding to this was Alexis Bousiges' outstanding expansion of the history database, and it's mostly-accurate information, and the explosion of people researching this stuff.

The blog you posted is very impressive, and you're right... there's a new breed of historian out there that will take arcade history research further than ever. It must be stated that it's easier than ever to track down the principles involved with the industry these days, but that's not to discount ANY of the efforts being undertaken by any means.

I guess you could say that we were the match that lit the fuse...

"One of these days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces!"- Nick Mason, Pink Floyd

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 338 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2002