MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

wild eyed
Corcreeghagh
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Mame for ST-V.....
#294850 - 08/31/12 03:57 PM

hi all.

been doing some searching but wanted to ask here first.

i was looking at ST-V recently and was wondering what the best version of mame would suit it best.

i remember a while back people would prefar to use an older version of Mame for model 3 before supermodel came along....

so is there an older version of mame that could offer a significant speed increase to st-v...

its ok if there isnt, but im just curious if there is anything to this?

p

wild eyed
Corcreeghagh
Send PM

Re: Mame for ST-V..... new [Re: wild eyed]
#294852 - 08/31/12 04:18 PM

i just tried 106 and the speed increase is huge... sound isnt as improved as in 146 though....

when did sound get good?

wild eyed
Corcreeghagh
Send PM

#294855 - 08/31/12 04:33 PM

119 is really good actually

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#294859 - 08/31/12 05:36 PM

That's going to be rough, as the video emulation and general compatibility for ST-V both have seen some pretty extensive work in the last year or so (thanks to the Saturn work on the MESS side). In other words, you'll get the best possible emulation with latest, and any older version is going to be a series of tradeoffs. model3 was simply broken for a long time, so it was a much different situation.

Edited by R. Belmont (08/31/12 05:36 PM)

wild eyed
Corcreeghagh
Send PM

Re: Mame for ST-V..... new [Re: R. Belmont]
#294868 - 08/31/12 10:09 PM

understood.

playing around here with different builds.. trying to use the mame compiler...eek.

hypotheticaly..

is it possible to compile an older version of mame with a more recent stv.c driver?

that will have the recent improvemnts coupled with the speed of an older version?

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Loc: Italy
Send PM

#294870 - 08/31/12 10:22 PM

> is it possible to compile an older version of mame with a more recent stv.c driver?
>
> that will have the recent improvemnts coupled with the speed of an older version?

Yes it would be possible but MAME means: improvements == lost of speed
(not always, but it is the vast majority of cases... more accurate is the emulation of a game more likely it will be slower due to the improvements in emulation of the various parts)

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#294898 - 09/01/12 02:11 PM

> understood.
>
> playing around here with different builds.. trying to use the mame compiler...eek.
>
> hypotheticaly..
>
> is it possible to compile an older version of mame with a more recent stv.c driver?
>
> that will have the recent improvemnts coupled with the speed of an older version?

The stv.c driver isn't where the improvements are. The improvements are in the parts of the code that got slower. Putting all those changes into an older build will give you the improvements but it will be just as slow. You may be able to make some of the improvements to the older code such that it doesn't slow it down as much, however asking the question proves you don't have the skills to do this. You're more likely to bash out a shakespear sonnet than achieve this.

wild eyed
Corcreeghagh
Send PM

Re: Mame for ST-V..... new [Re: ]
#294899 - 09/01/12 02:55 PM

....and this is how we learn.

agreed, im no programmer nor would i claim to be one. i am however part of a shakespeare theatre troupe and i recite sonnets nightly.. thats a lie.

thanks though

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#294907 - 09/01/12 04:56 PM

> ....and this is how we learn.
>
> agreed, im no programmer nor would i claim to be one. i am however part of a
> shakespeare theatre troupe and i recite sonnets nightly.. thats a lie.
>
> thanks though

You don't learn to code by asking hypothetical questions on message boards though.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

Does the STV driver use the dynarec? new [Re: ]
#294917 - 09/02/12 12:19 AM

Just asking out of curiosity.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Does the STV driver use the dynarec? new [Re: DiodeDude]
#294923 - 09/02/12 02:45 AM

> Just asking out of curiosity.

For the record, the SH-2 emulation is under 5% of the total frame time in most games since the DRC was installed several years ago. The rest of the system is in fact *that* complex to emulate.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

Re: Does the STV driver use the dynarec? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#294929 - 09/02/12 05:35 AM

The Saturn was truly a bitch from all angles.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 127 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1677