MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Trnzaddict
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/24/10
Send PM

Question with changing rotary controls?
#293965 - 08/16/12 10:57 PM

Hi. On my cab I'm using the Xarcade Tankstick. I love games like S.A.R, Ikari, etc, but the rotary thing is killing me and I don't really want to buy dedicated rotary sticks for a couple of titles.

Now, I have a softmodded Xbox. There is an emulator called Coinops 4, which is a port of MAME. I was playing SAR on this last night, and the author of the emulator somehow configured games with rotary controls that you move AND turn in the direction you press on the xbox's D Pad.

E.G, the original controls in Sar on pc mame you press right, he will move right but is still facing straight forward. You would need the rotary to face him right as well. In Coinops, when you press right, he moves right AND faces right.

Is there absolutely any way this can be accomplished in pc mame by fiddling with the dial controls? I know it's not the right way to play this but untill Ultimarc releases there U360 rotary addon, I'm not budging.

Trnzaddict
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/24/10
Send PM

Re: Question with changing rotary controls? new [Re: Trnzaddict]
#294074 - 08/19/12 07:24 AM

Erm, yea I feel dumb. Why couldn't somebody just tell me that there was a dipswitch setting in S.A.R that makes the game non rotary? Guess nobody likes that game.

Christ that's all it was. I thought there was some sort of custom rotary black magic config he did.

Well, solved.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#294079 - 08/19/12 04:09 PM

> Erm, yea I feel dumb. Why couldn't somebody just tell me that there was a dipswitch
> setting in S.A.R that makes the game non rotary? Guess nobody likes that game.
>
> Christ that's all it was. I thought there was some sort of custom rotary black magic
> config he did.
>
> Well, solved.

Unfortunately, for games that's don't have a setting to make them non-rotary, there's not really a great solution. All you can do in MAME, as far as I know, is assign controls to increment/decrement the rotary. It kind of works with this assigned to buttons or a second stick, but it's still pretty awkward and obviously not anything like the real thing. I've always thought you might be able to get a more effective setup using a spinner, i.e. joystick in the left hand for movement, and the spinner + buttons on the right. A spinner at least would be useful in more games than a rotary joystick. I've never tried it, though, so it might still be pretty awkward.

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

#294083 - 08/19/12 09:58 PM

There is also a Joystick hack Ikari Warriors in MAME

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 502 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1973