GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Carried a piano upstairs
#292790 - 07/29/12 06:37 PM

Holy crap. Never again.

The stairs were narrow, so we couldn't get on its sides at all.

We tried to figure out a way to use my 12,000 lb winch, but there was nothing to anchor it to. Someone tried to propose wrapping it around my Battlezone cab, which is up the stairs.

Ok, seeing no good anchor for the winch, we decided to try and "carry" it up the stairs.

There were three of us, lifting it up one stair at a time, and catching the wheels to help hold it while we repositioned our feet and hands for the next step.

Got about half way up... and realized we didn't have enough steam to make it. Decision time... go back down, or rest and try again.

We decided to "rest", which was still a lot work to hold it it place... and then continued one step at a time, with a good rest between. We moved about one step every five minutes, because we were SPENT!

Whew. Holy crap. When we got to the top step, I was relieved no one got killed, and the piano was still in one piece... although I did dislodge my left nut and lost 1/2" in height (does this change my body mass index?).

The good news is now the piano can collect dust up there, instead of collecting dust in the family room.

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: Carried a piano upstairs new [Re: GatKong]
#292792 - 07/29/12 06:49 PM

Reminds me of a time a friend and I helped two girls that were moving. They needed a sofa sleeper moved to a second floor apartment. It was heavy as hell. When we were almost to the top of the steps, the sleeper part started unfolding. It was like a scene from the 3 Stooges!

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

#292796 - 07/29/12 07:18 PM

> Holy crap. Never again.
>
> The stairs were narrow, so we couldn't get on its sides at all.
>
> We tried to figure out a way to use my 12,000 lb winch, but there was nothing to
> anchor it to. Someone tried to propose wrapping it around my Battlezone cab, which is
> up the stairs.
>
>
>
> Ok, seeing no good anchor for the winch, we decided to try and "carry" it up the
> stairs.
>
> There were three of us, lifting it up one stair at a time, and catching the wheels to
> help hold it while we repositioned our feet and hands for the next step.
>
> Got about half way up... and realized we didn't have enough steam to make it.
> Decision time... go back down, or rest and try again.
>
> We decided to "rest", which was still a lot work to hold it it place... and then
> continued one step at a time, with a good rest between. We moved about one step every
> five minutes, because we were SPENT!
>
> Whew. Holy crap. When we got to the top step, I was relieved no one got killed, and
> the piano was still in one piece... although I did dislodge my left nut and lost 1/2"
> in height (does this change my body mass index?).
>
>
>
> The good news is now the piano can collect dust up there, instead of collecting dust
> in the family room.

I feel your pain. Pianos are heavy as shit. Deceiving fuckers due to the wood exterior, but the string frame hiding inside is a solid block of surprise hernia.

Ramirez
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/06/10
Loc: Brasil
Send PM

Re: Carried a piano upstairs new [Re: italie]
#292800 - 07/29/12 07:52 PM

> I feel your pain. Pianos are heavy as shit. Deceiving fuckers due to the wood
> exterior, but the string frame hiding inside is a solid block of surprise hernia.

Yes, it heavy as hell, but usually you should detach the string frame to move it for long paths. You`ll have to re-tune it anyway.

anoid
Lurker
Reged: 12/05/03
Send PM

#292807 - 07/29/12 09:51 PM

I didn't want to move a piano once, so I hired a moving company with "professionals". They only had 5 steps, but dropped it 1/2 down. Major damage to piano. This was with 4 guys moving it.

The next time, I moved it with just a buddy of mine. The two of us moved it with no problems at all and naviaged the steps easily.

These were wide outside steps and not narrow hallways to an upstairs. I wouldn't want to attempt that.

A-noid.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

#292816 - 07/30/12 01:27 AM

Well at least if you have to move it again, you've got Newton & his lads to help get it down.

Unless, of course, you want it in 1 piece...

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#292824 - 07/30/12 04:26 AM

Buy it!

LEVEL-4

Gyrovision
so many more levels...
Loc: Area 51 Nevada
Send PM

#292829 - 07/30/12 04:44 AM

I moved a Dig Dug upright cab up, then down the stairs when we moved... may as well been a piano...

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

#292844 - 07/30/12 02:43 PM

you have a working battlezone? nice, dude. those are tough to repair and keep running.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Re: Carried a piano upstairs new [Re: yaggy]
#292847 - 07/30/12 02:49 PM

Got it in an auction in NC for $300 about 4 years ago. Works perfwctly in very good condition. A lucky buy.

igamabob
Mixed Nut
Loc: Ohio
Send PM

#292880 - 07/30/12 11:59 PM

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum.

msbhvn
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/29/08
Loc: Teh Internet!!1
Send PM

#292892 - 07/31/12 03:14 AM

My brother-in-law used to work for a regional music store chain and got me a summer job working there about ten years ago.

My first day on the job, we had to lug a piano up some stairs because the dimwit salesman "accidentally" failed to mention that it wasn't delivery policy to do that.

Now my brother-in-law had been working there for nearly twenty years at that point, but I had no experience moving anything heavier than a mattress. I ended up just being the one bracing it while my brother-in-law and the new owner dragged it up there.

Ground floor deliveries were much easier as we had something that resembled a very heavy-duty skateboard and all we had to do was tilt the piano and put the wheels under it.

Those guys at Narcotics Anonymous are assholes, I told them I have a 3 litre a day Coke habit and they kicked me out!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 306 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1616