MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

so a co-worker says to me "Software cant destroy hardware"...
#292710 - 07/27/12 11:20 PM

I hope he is enjoying that requisition form for a new carrier board....

TheBigAmbulance
And STILL not ginger....
Reged: 01/03/08
Send PM

Re: so a co-worker says to me "Software cant destroy hardware"... new [Re: italie]
#292711 - 07/27/12 11:23 PM

How about an operating system or piece of software flashing a motherboard BIOS from Windows 7? Are you LISTENTING TO ME ASUS!?!?

My sales pitch for today:
http://www.badflash.com

jopezu
bread-train
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: georgia
Send PM

Re: so a co-worker says to me "Software cant destroy hardware"... new [Re: italie]
#292712 - 07/27/12 11:24 PM

http://www.dailytech.com/Hot+Starcraft+I...rticle19224.htm

i learned everything i know from KC

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#292715 - 07/27/12 11:36 PM

> I hope he is enjoying that requisition form for a new carrier board....

I was JUST reading about this...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halt_and_Catch_Fire

- Stiletto

dfrance
Crazed Collector
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: The Black
Send PM

Re: so a co-worker says to me "Software cant destroy hardware"... new [Re: Stiletto]
#292716 - 07/27/12 11:45 PM

I remember being told that it was possible to damage an Apple ][ drive by trying to read or write to a sector outside the actual range. Could have been BS, never tried to intentional damage any of the ones we had in school back then...83-ish

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#292730 - 07/28/12 02:58 AM

> I hope he is enjoying that requisition form for a new carrier board....

It's an especially silly assertion these days, given the existence of stuxnet.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: so a co-worker says to me "Software cant destroy hardware"... new [Re: DMala]
#292731 - 07/28/12 03:42 AM

> > I hope he is enjoying that requisition form for a new carrier board....
>
> It's an especially silly assertion these days, given the existence of stuxnet.

Who knows what other countries are planning, now that the US basically admitted having made it.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Reged: 01/28/12
Loc: Freeport, PA
Send PM

#292739 - 07/28/12 08:25 AM

It's possible to fry a monitor with out-of-spec settings. My currently-fading-in-health ViewSonic VA1930wm LCD even warns against it.

Somewhat related note: Is it just me or don't they make LCD monitors as reliable as say LCD screens in notebook/netbook computers? This one was bought in late-2007 and it takes HOURS for it to warm up through repeated blinking of the screen.

Compare that to a circa 1998 Sony Trinitron CRT that I recently used while cleaning off a donated computer that I was passing on to someone else. Even if it was kept in a less-than-ideal place within storage the CRT fired right up perfectly.

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: so a co-worker says to me "Software cant destroy hardware"... new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#292741 - 07/28/12 10:37 AM

> This one was bought in late-2007 and
> it takes HOURS for it to warm up through repeated blinking of the screen.
>

Bad caps in the power supply or the cold cathode tubes are going bad. Both are easy fixes.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: so a co-worker says to me "Software cant destroy hardware"... new [Re: dfrance]
#292751 - 07/28/12 05:11 PM

> I remember being told that it was possible to damage an Apple ][ drive by trying to
> read or write to a sector outside the actual range. Could have been BS, never tried
> to intentional damage any of the ones we had in school back then...83-ish

Sounds like a game of telephone distortion of the startup process. Wozniak omitted the "at track 0" sensor to save a few pennies, so the boot code would back the head up more times than there were tracks on a disk to guarantee it was at track 0. That would slam it into the backstop which produced the signature rat-a-tat sound but was harmless.

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: so a co-worker says to me "Software cant destroy hardware"... new [Re: R. Belmont]
#292757 - 07/28/12 10:39 PM

> > I remember being told that it was possible to damage an Apple ][ drive by trying to
> > read or write to a sector outside the actual range. Could have been BS, never tried
> > to intentional damage any of the ones we had in school back then...83-ish
>
> Sounds like a game of telephone distortion of the startup process. Wozniak omitted
> the "at track 0" sensor to save a few pennies, so the boot code would back the head
> up more times than there were tracks on a disk to guarantee it was at track 0. That
> would slam it into the backstop which produced the signature rat-a-tat sound but was
> harmless.

The 1541 drive for the C64 would knock itself out of alignment over time doing something like that. I remember running some "alignment" software that I got from someone and laughing my head off because it sounded like the drive was eating itself alive.

S

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Reged: 01/28/12
Loc: Freeport, PA
Send PM

He heh heh... new [Re: DMala]
#292764 - 07/29/12 04:38 AM

All this time and no one mentions the dreaded, devious, cunning, baffling and powerful PROTO-T virus!

Quote:

After infection, the virus seems to be written into the memory or memory
routines of a VGA or EGA monitor; or is written into the memory of the
hard drive, or quite possibly, into a modem - or COM port. Thus excaping
most or any known detection methods.

Not since the invention of the Blotto Box has horror gripped computer hardware enthusiasts as their VGA cards turned into CGA cards overnight!

Quote:

Proto - T when activated, corrupts data on a disk, stops VGA or EGA
from being used ( Thus either defaulting to CGA, or locking up ), and
prohibits memory from being used over 512K.

It also powers Zalgo due to it being indescribably HEEEEEEEEVHUL!!! It makes Cthulu look like a nymphomaniac candy striper in a sex addiction ward!

Quote:

Proto - T is very elusive. There is no program known to detect it.

There may be a connection between those who contract and spread the virus and those who view the phrase "Chris-Chan". Also, ancient hardware may be suspect.

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 138 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1534