MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SonyUSA
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/21/12
Send PM

ROMs with Demo's (with inserted quarters)
#292029 - 07/17/12 07:01 PM

Here is a tricky challenge for everyone:

I have an arcade made from a first gen Atom (64 bit win7) running IV/Play and using an x-arcade dual-joystick (non trackball). I think I have a pretty current ROM set. It is set up for the public in a retail environment. To keep ruffians from playing on it all day, I set the x-arcade to not accept and quarter inputs in a certain programming mode, therefore I have to pre-load the quarters for the games. This works fine, but on a lot of classic games, if quarters are inserted, no demo reel rolls and it usually just stays on a black score screen or says 'press start' which is not inviting to customers. The challenge is to find ROMs that have demo reels that roll WHILE quarters are inserted, so people feel invited to play the game. So far I have found:

Dodonpachi
Dragon Ball Z: Super Battle 2
Smash TV (though this is kind of pushing it for 'family safe')

any other suggestions?

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: ROMs with Demo's (with inserted quarters) new [Re: SonyUSA]
#292033 - 07/17/12 07:25 PM

> I have an arcade made from a first gen Atom (64 bit win7) running IV/Play and using
> an x-arcade dual-joystick (non trackball). I think I have a pretty current ROM set.
> It is set up for the public in a retail environment.

Rule #9.

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

Re: ROMs with Demo's (with inserted quarters) new [Re: R. Belmont]
#292034 - 07/17/12 07:29 PM

Very uncool OP.Hopefully you are not profiting from other peoples hard work.You will receive no help here.

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

#292036 - 07/17/12 07:33 PM

Are you kidding me? Not cool and you should remove that machine now.

SonyUSA
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: ROMs with Demo's (with inserted quarters) new [Re: mesk]
#292037 - 07/17/12 07:34 PM

I should have clarified, there is no charge to play the arcade, its merely there for amusement. I preload the credits to keep punk kids from sitting there for hours and putting in quarters themselves and getting rowdy and out of control. In no way do I charge for any of it, I paid out of pocket to set it up mostly for kids to play while their parents filled out their boring forms and such.

By retail environment, I simply meant it was on public display in a retail store, not that I charged for play.

Edited by SonyUSA (07/17/12 07:36 PM)

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#292048 - 07/17/12 11:05 PM

> By retail environment, I simply meant it was on public display in a retail store, not
> that I charged for play.

http://mamedev.org/legal.html

Quote:

Q. Can I put an arcade cabinet running MAME in a public location?
A. No. This this a commercial use of MAME and is prohibited by the license. Even if you don't charge money, putting a machine in a public location is "operating" an arcade machine and falls under commercial rules in most locations.

SonyUSA
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: ROMs with Demo's (with inserted quarters) new [Re: B2K24]
#292051 - 07/17/12 11:19 PM

I just had a simple request that may have given me an opportunity to share some classic games that others have enjoyed. If I had not stated my situation I probably would have gotten the answers I was looking for. I'll just ask on other forums, thanks anyway.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#292070 - 07/18/12 01:45 AM

> I just had a simple request that may have given me an opportunity to share some
> classic games that others have enjoyed. If I had not stated my situation I probably
> would have gotten the answers I was looking for. I'll just ask on other forums,
> thanks anyway.

Any question that involves inserted coins gets the same treatment.
We've heard every back story under the sun. Yours makes as little sense as everyone elses.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 331 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1649