View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Vatican Knight
Faith, Honor, Respect
Reged: 06/13/12
Send PM

Opera for Windows
#291750 - 07/14/12 12:19 PM

I just realized that Safari and Opera is also available for Windows. Do any of you use them on your Windows operating system? If so, what made you choose that internet browser instead of the others? I'd like to hear your opinion on it.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Opera for Windows new [Re: Vatican Knight]
#291752 - 07/14/12 12:59 PM

Install it, see if you like it, stop trying to make us do your research for you.

Vatican Knight
Faith, Honor, Respect
Send PM

Re: Opera for Windows new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#291753 - 07/14/12 01:05 PM

Quote:

Install it, see if you like it, stop trying to make us do your research for you.

I knew some miserable person like yourself would comment with something like that. It's called wanting to hear other people's opinions that are from the Mameworld forum.

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

#291754 - 07/14/12 01:14 PM

Hey Knighty, You remind me of one OLDer member here... ...maybe I am wrong... ...maybe NOT...

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#291762 - 07/14/12 02:07 PM

> I just realized that Safari and Opera is also available for Windows. Do any of you
> use them on your Windows operating system? If so, what made you choose that internet
> browser instead of the others? I'd like to hear your opinion on it.

Opera has been available on Windows for years. I'm pretty sure I tried it out briefly in the late '90s at some point, but the fact that it was shareware when the rest of the competition was free pretty much made it a non-starter.

These days I already have three browsers (IE, Firefox, Chrome). A browser would have to have some pretty compelling features to get me to install yet another one.

Vatican Knight
Faith, Honor, Respect
Send PM

Re: Opera for Windows new [Re: DMala]
#291763 - 07/14/12 02:23 PM

Thank you DMala for your input.

Quote:

These days I already have three browsers (IE, Firefox, Chrome). A browser would have to have some pretty compelling features to get me to install yet another one.

Me too. And I agree as well. I use Chrome the most since it's the fastest on my PC. Hopefully someone here does use either Opera or Safari so we can hear why they made that interesting choice.

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#291773 - 07/14/12 07:14 PM

Why in the fuck would someone install Apple software on a PC? Safari or iTunes? It is probably made to make your PC run like shit, so you think Apple is better.

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

#291778 - 07/14/12 07:46 PM

> Install it, see if you like it, stop trying to make us do your research for you.
> I knew some miserable person like yourself would comment with something like that.
> It's called wanting to hear other people's opinions that are from the Mameworld
> forum.

Well, you just listened to one opinion from the mameworld forum. You just got what you asked for. Without insulting, I should remark.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

Vatican Knight
Faith, Honor, Respect
Send PM

Re: Opera for Windows new [Re: Pi]
#291787 - 07/14/12 10:32 PM

yea, it's a shame people always feel the need to insult others...Oh-well, I feel sorry for those people and I shall pray for them.

snake78
sineku setenta y ocho
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Newport, RI
Send PM

#291791 - 07/14/12 11:39 PM

I use Opera... I like the look and feel of it... I like the 'Log In' feature for storing passwords... I like the setup of the buttons, at least the way I've had it set up (which is different from the default, but I did it a few years ago, so I don't remember how the default is really set up anymore)... I started using it mainly because my girl uses Firefox, and I stay logged in on a few sites, including mw, but also some others that she actually would go to and be staying logged in herself... switching between separate user profiles on windows was more of a pain in the ass than a separate browser...

I also like the speed dial function, and if you click and drag in different directions, you can do certain things like open a new window, tab, speed dial etc... I get annoyed when I use Firefox now when I want to open a new window, I have to actually click on file -> New Window... waste of time...

I never got into Chrome, and I avoid IE unless as a last resort (before resorting to installing Chrome, which I've yet to have to do)...

www.randyrobbinsmusic.com
RandyRobbinsMusic on Facebook

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: Opera for Windows new [Re: CTOJAH]
#291794 - 07/15/12 01:28 AM

> Hey Knighty, You remind me of one OLDer member here... ...maybe I am wrong...
> ...maybe NOT...

It's a known fact he's actually OldSchoolGamer. The difference now is he's slowly learning from his past mistakes. For starters he's not frequently flooding the forums with Yahoo Answers type questions anymore.

Vas Crabb addressed it wrong, but what he says it's true. Software is made usually meeting programmer's necessities they think it could be useful for the rest. Consequently, there's not software it satisfies universal necessities.

My advice is: if the software you currently use satisfies your Internet habits, keep it like that. But if you need something else, trying another software (on a PC you can easily revert back) doesn't do any harm. Nothing wrong with asking for opinions though.

I'll keep using Firefox because even if it's a resource hogger, I can easily customize it to keep a low profile (ads, script and cookie blocking), I have a better manage for my tabs (I open a lot) and it's a popular browser I know it won't give me major problems when viewing pages optimized for other browsers. I'd try Chrome but I don't like to report everything to Google. I'd try Opera but I can't customize it as I want, plus it has the fame to be a good browser for consoles and a terrible browser for PCs. The choice is yours and it doesn't matter the opinions we give, you have to try them yourself to know if it really meets what you need.

Off topic but related, under that very same concept there's not a better emulator for the same reasons. So keep that in mind the next time you tell X emulator is better than Y.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Reason to avoid Chrome: new [Re: snake78]
#291805 - 07/15/12 02:34 AM

Saw "Angry Birds for Chrome."

It plays fine on other browsers, up to the point where they cut it off because you're not on Chrome.

Needlessly exclusive content? No, not going to do it, bye.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#291806 - 07/15/12 02:38 AM

> Hopefully someone here does use either Opera or Safari so we can hear why they made
> that interesting choice.

Safari on windows gives you:
* Activity Window that allows you to see what resources the page requests, download them, copy their URLs, etc. it a nice tree structure
* Web Inspector (although Chrome also has this)
* WebKit rendering quality and speed without being Google spyware like Chrome

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

#291835 - 07/15/12 11:31 AM

> yea, it's a shame people always feel the need to insult others...Oh-well, I feel
> sorry for those people and I shall pray for them.

Since sarcasm and internet don't get along very well, I'll be clear. Vas Crabb didn't insult you, it was you the one who insulted. Reread the thread.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Reged: 01/28/12
Loc: Freeport, PA
Send PM

Re: Opera for Windows new [Re: DMala]
#291840 - 07/15/12 02:12 PM

Quote:

All this browser talk and Nobody mentions Lynx. I might as well be that Nobody. Browsing the web in non-graphical text mode is K-RaD! ;-)

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 338 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1928