View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Vatican Knight
Faith, Honor, Respect
Reged: 06/13/12
Send PM

Have you already beaten this game?
#290892 - 07/04/12 08:18 AM

I've played and beat so many arcade games in MAME, that sometimes I forget if I had already played/beat the game. I've been saving a state in every game that I beat, even if it doesn't support save states or even if I don't need to utilize the save state feature. The reason why I've been always saving states in every game that I play/beat is because this is a method that I came up with that will be able to remind myself if I had already played/beat the game. So before I play a game, if I'm unsure if I had already beat it, I will check my "sta" (Saved States) directory to see if there is already a saved state for the game.

Anyone else ever encounter this problem?

Any other method that you'd like to suggest as an alternative to using save states to remind yourself?

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Have you already beaten this game? new [Re: Vatican Knight]
#290893 - 07/04/12 09:18 AM

Strong and focused meditation for an hour a day everyday will improve memory. Will take you couple years to probably see results though.

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: Have you already beaten this game? new [Re: Vatican Knight]
#290896 - 07/04/12 11:23 AM

> Any other method that you'd like to suggest as an alternative to using save states to
> remind yourself?

How about:

(1). Only keep screen shots for games that you complete - and take a screen shot of something near the end, the final screen, or the end sequence.

(2). Keeping a spreadsheet with all MAME games and the date / time you completed them, the score you got, play time, and/or any other stats you want to keep.

(3). Print out all of MAME's flyers and place them in a pile, and as you complete a game, move the flyer to a new pile.

(4). Buy all of the arcade cabs, and as you complete each game, move it into another part of your house, basement, garage, parent's garage, etc.

(5). Or, as you complete each game get its name (and your score) tatooed somewhere ....

Moose

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: Have you already beaten this game? new [Re: B2K24]
#290918 - 07/04/12 06:10 PM

Much quicker method would be to get some memory enhancement Supplements @ your local corner gas/pron station. Double the dosage until you can feel that your brain is bigger. Then get some 5 Hour Energy and pick random games & go to work. This time you should be able to remember every single move you make in each game. Not only JUST the NAME! Then to help your memory retention, post it on your facebook page so you can brag about what a k001 9aM3r u R!

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: Have you already beaten this game? new [Re: Moose]
#290919 - 07/04/12 06:29 PM

> (2). Keeping a spreadsheet with all MAME games and the date / time you completed
> them, the score you got, play time, and/or any other stats you want to keep.

If the game supports (eh, what is it?) where every time you restart it it has the high scores etc. Well, I don't mind beating a few games over and over again. I wouldn't say I have a lot of ROMs, just mainly the of the games I enjoyed as a kid. So when I do beat them - instead of entering my initials I put in a date.

For 3 letters I've made the first 12 letters represent the months, then I can have from 01 to 31. E27 would = May 27th. The purpose for this is to show what day I got that high score.

But as for the part I quoted... I used to do that with my Genesis games (which, almost all of them didn't support save states). I kept a log, like for instance, with Super Hang-On. If I'd get a really high score I'd write it down, the ending time (race duration), and the date.

I don't do that anymore.

LEVEL-4

Vatican Knight
Faith, Honor, Respect
Reged: 06/13/12
Send PM

Re: Have you already beaten this game? new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#290959 - 07/05/12 02:18 AM

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: Have you already beaten this game? new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#290963 - 07/05/12 02:47 AM

> Then get some 5 Hour Energy and pick random games & go to work.

LOL, I was in the US last week, and I saw the TV ad you are referring to. Funny ad.

Moose

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 359 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2466