MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

jmak
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/16/12
Send PM

bug: chdman output depends on system qsort() implementation
#289601 - 06/16/12 12:55 PM

Hi,

trying to rebuild the 0.146 CHD set on Unix to avoid re-downloading, I found that the Huffman compressor (src/lib/util/huffman.c) depends on an exact behavior of the external qsort() function. Because Quicksort is not a stable sort and the node weights which are compared can be the same for different node entries, output of Quicksort is not unambiguously defined.

This makes chdman produce different outputs on different operating systems.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: bug: chdman output depends on system qsort() implementation new [Re: jmak]
#289602 - 06/16/12 03:56 PM

> Hi,
>
> trying to rebuild the 0.146 CHD set on Unix to avoid re-downloading, I found that the
> Huffman compressor (src/lib/util/huffman.c) depends on an exact behavior of the
> external qsort() function. Because Quicksort is not a stable sort and the node
> weights which are compared can be the same for different node entries, output of
> Quicksort is not unambiguously defined.
>
> This makes chdman produce different outputs on different operating systems.

AFAIK Huffman was used for v4 CHDs and those produced the same output on different operating systems. Are you sure this is actually the problem - ie, you've dumped qsort() output from a CHDMAN run on Windows and Linux?

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: bug: chdman output depends on system qsort() implementation new [Re: R. Belmont]
#289604 - 06/16/12 04:16 PM

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Quicksort+is+not+a+stable+sort

Code:

/src/lib/util/huffman.c

529 //-------------------------------------------------
530 // tree_node_compare - compare two tree nodes
531 // by weight
532 //-------------------------------------------------
534 int CLIB_DECL huffman_context_base::tree_node_compare(const void *item1, const void *item2)
535 {
536 const node_t *node1 = *(const node_t **)item1;
537 const node_t *node2 = *(const node_t **)item2;
538 return node2->m_weight - node1->m_weight;
539 }

565 // sort the list by weight, largest weight first
566 qsort(list, listitems, sizeof(list[0]), tree_node_compare);

http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Array-Sort-Function.html

Quote:

Warning: If two objects compare as equal, their order after sorting is unpredictable. That is to say, the sorting is not stable. This can make a difference when the comparison considers only part of the elements. Two elements with the same sort key may differ in other respects.

If you want the effect of a stable sort, you can get this result by writing the comparison function so that, lacking other reason distinguish between two elements, it compares them by their addresses. Note that doing this may make the sorting algorithm less efficient, so do it only if necessary.

I think the bottom line is that either...

1) the qsort comparison function would need to be modified to handle the case when items are equal and sort them by another key (address?) that guarantees stable results

...or...

2) a different "stable" sort needs to be used. i.e. mergesort.

Here's a real-world example of modifying the comparison function...

http://old.nabble.com/RFA:-GCC-4.2.1:-Stabalizing-coalesce_list%27s-qsort-td12233553.html

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: bug: chdman output depends on system qsort() implementation new [Re: krick]
#289613 - 06/16/12 05:50 PM

Nobody's disputing that non-glibc qsort() may be unstable, I just want proof that it's the problem in this case before we make everyone re-convert all their CHDs *again*. (Because the GCC link indicates that the Linux version of the behavior is correct, so the created-on-Windows CHDs on all the sites are what will turn out to be wrong).

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

Re: bug: chdman output depends on system qsort() implementation new [Re: R. Belmont]
#289617 - 06/16/12 06:28 PM

> Nobody's disputing that non-glibc qsort() may be unstable, I just want proof that
> it's the problem in this case before we make everyone re-convert all their CHDs
> *again*. (Because the GCC link indicates that the Linux version of the behavior is
> correct, so the created-on-Windows CHDs on all the sites are what will turn out to be
> wrong).

glibc qsort isn't guaranteed to be stable either. According to this user, it depends on how much memory the system has...

http://old.nabble.com/Re%3A-RFA%3A-GCC-4.2.1%3A-Stabalizing-coalesce_list%27s-qsort-p12278984.html

Quote:

glibc normally uses merge sort for implementing qsort(), hence it's
usually stable. It only uses a real quicksort when using merge sort would
require too much memory (defined as more than one quarter of physical
RAM). I.e. in practice it's stable.

Looking at the source, this appears to be true...
http://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=blob_plain;f=stdlib/msort.c;hb=HEAD

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#289620 - 06/16/12 06:39 PM

The amounts of data we're sorting would only trigger the memory problem on a system with less than 8 MB or so.

So, I know it's irresistable, but can we stop playing "I gotcha'ed the only remaining dev stupid enough to read MW!" and get back to providing actual factual evidence that the qsort is the reason for the alleged cross-OS difference?

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

#289630 - 06/16/12 08:10 PM

> The amounts of data we're sorting would only trigger the memory problem on a system
> with less than 8 MB or so.
>
> So, I know it's irresistable, but can we stop playing "I gotcha'ed the only remaining
> dev stupid enough to read MW!" and get back to providing actual factual evidence that
> the qsort is the reason for the alleged cross-OS difference?

I was just providing evidence to the original poster's claim that qsort *can* produce different results because it's inherently not a stable sort algorithm.

In practice, due to the way that MAME uses qsort, I don't know if it actually *does* produce different output. Re-reading the original post, I'm not sure that he's even claiming that it actually *is* producing different output.

I guess we need for him to come back and provide some proof.

jmak
MAME Fan
Send PM

#289631 - 06/16/12 08:22 PM Attachment: mame-huff-sort.diff 2 KB (13 downloads)

Hi,

sorry for appearing rude or posting the report to a wrong place, but http://mametesters.org/mantis/ I found on mamedev.org returns 403 Forbidden and I couldn't find any other site. If you can point me to a proper bug tracker, I'd be happy to post there.

I don't have Windows development env set up. but I am attaching a proof-of-concept patch, which abuses the m_bits field as a secondary key during the sorting phase to achieve a stable sort with a generic Quicksort. Under glibc, chdman output is the same, because glibc qsort() is stable as you mentioned above.

I expect that on Windows, qsort() is not stable and the output will change. Could you please check if you have time?

jmak
MAME Fan
Send PM

#289633 - 06/16/12 08:33 PM

> I was just providing evidence to the original poster's claim that qsort *can* produce
> different results because it's inherently not a stable sort algorithm.
>
> In practice, due to the way that MAME uses qsort, I don't know if it actually *does*
> produce different output. Re-reading the original post, I'm not sure that he's even
> claiming that it actually *is* producing different output.

Yes, the output is different. Even the same chdman binary produces a different output when run 1) under Wine, using Wine's C library, and 2) under real Windows, using msvcrt.dll.

> I guess we need for him to come back and provide some proof.

With the patch I attached, it's possible to eg. reverse the order of the secondary sort key, which yields completely different (but also valid) compressed data. So the exact qsort() implementation really matters.

Yet another minor issue:

I also noticed that one byte near the end of the output chaosheatj.chd can have several different values. Valgrind reports usage of some uninitialized bytes when writing the index, I'll look into that later.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

#289634 - 06/16/12 08:38 PM

> the only remaining dev stupid enough to read MW!

That hurts man...

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

#289637 - 06/16/12 09:06 PM

> Hi,
>
> sorry for appearing rude or posting the report to a wrong place, but
> http://mametesters.org/mantis/ I found on mamedev.org returns 403 Forbidden and I
> couldn't find any other site. If you can point me to a proper bug tracker, I'd be
> happy to post there.

As a partial co-admin at the mametesters.org site, I cannot see your IP on any deny list we have installed there. Are you getting the same from mamedev.org? If so, the provider itself is blocking you for whatever reasons and it's beyond our control. Posting stuff here is still acceptable as Devs do read this forum regular. Sorry for any inconvenience.

On second thought.. looking at your link, we originally were hosted at "mametesters.org/mantis" (now it's simply "mametesters.org". The old link used to redirect but I guess it doesn't now. Please try without the /mantis bit..

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#289640 - 06/16/12 10:13 PM

> I expect that on Windows, qsort() is not stable and the output will change. Could you
> please check if you have time?

Thanks, that patch looks very reasonable. Let me know what you find out regarding the other issue.

AaronGiles
Galaxiwarrior
Send PM

#289650 - 06/17/12 02:09 AM

> > I expect that on Windows, qsort() is not stable and the output will change. Could
> you
> > please check if you have time?
>
> Thanks, that patch looks very reasonable. Let me know what you find out regarding the
> other issue.

Right, good find. The simplest fix as you mention is to ensure that we never return "equal" from the qsort callback.

Fortunately, no matter the ordering, all CHDs produced the existing "bad" way should be readable by all other implementations. But we should make sure we always generate the same output regardless. Thanks for digging into it.

jmak
MAME Fan
Send PM

#289704 - 06/17/12 06:47 PM

> Thanks, that patch looks very reasonable. Let me know what you find out regarding the
> other issue.

Fortunately, this one is trivial:

Code:

Index: src/lib/util/chd.c
===================================================================
--- src/lib/util/chd.c (revision 15463)
+++ src/lib/util/chd.c (working copy)
@@ -1788,6 +1788,7 @@
compressed[12] = lengthbits;
compressed[13] = selfbits;
compressed[14] = parentbits;
+ compressed[15] = 0;

// write the result
m_mapoffset = file_append(compressed, complen + 16);

jmak
MAME Fan
Send PM

#289705 - 06/17/12 06:58 PM

Yet another unitialized variable fix (this should be quite harmless though)

Code:

Index: src/lib/util/cdrom.c
===================================================================
--- src/lib/util/cdrom.c (revision 15463)
+++ src/lib/util/cdrom.c (working copy)
@@ -734,6 +734,7 @@
{
/* parse the metadata */
type[0] = subtype[0] = 0;
+ pgtype[0] = pgsub[0] = 0;
if (sscanf(metadata, CDROM_TRACK_METADATA_FORMAT, &tracknum, type, subtype, &frames) != 4)
return CHDERR_INVALID_DATA;
if (tracknum == 0 || tracknum > CD_MAX_TRACKS)

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

#289708 - 06/17/12 07:38 PM

> I am attaching a proof-of-concept
> patch, which abuses the m_bits field as a secondary key during the sorting phase to
> achieve a stable sort with a generic Quicksort.

I'm not a mamedev, so feel free to ignore me, but I don't think it's a good idea to re-use the m_bits field for a different purpose. Could another field be added to to the node structure for the purposes of secondary sorting?

If the only option is to re-use the field for a different purpose, then it should be thoroughly documented as a convenience hack/abuse in the places where it's being used for another purpose so that future people reading the code understand what's going on.

jmak
MAME Fan
Send PM

#289709 - 06/17/12 07:44 PM

> > I am attaching a proof-of-concept
> > patch, which abuses the m_bits field as a secondary key during the sorting phase to
> > achieve a stable sort with a generic Quicksort.
>
> I'm not a mamedev, so feel free to ignore me, but I don't think it's a good idea to
> re-use the m_bits field for a different purpose. Could another field be added to to
> the node structure for the purposes of secondary sorting?
>
> If the only option is to re-use the field for a different purpose, then it should be
> thoroughly documented as a convenience hack/abuse in the places where it's being used
> for another purpose so that future people reading the code understand what's going
> on.

Sure, I did it this way so I could avoid changing of the header file and rebuilding of the whole source. The patch is definitely not meant to be applied as is.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#289727 - 06/17/12 10:00 PM

> Yet another unitialized variable fix (this should be quite harmless though)

Thanks! I have applied all 3 changes to trunk.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#289728 - 06/17/12 10:13 PM

> Sure, I did it this way so I could avoid changing of the header file and rebuilding
> of the whole source. The patch is definitely not meant to be applied as is.

I've applied it as-is because properly running code always trumps theory and discussion. If you'd like to clean it up anyway, of course go ahead.

AaronGiles
Galaxiwarrior
Send PM

#289731 - 06/17/12 11:37 PM

> > Sure, I did it this way so I could avoid changing of the header file and rebuilding
> > of the whole source. The patch is definitely not meant to be applied as is.
>
> I've applied it as-is because properly running code always trumps theory and
> discussion. If you'd like to clean it up anyway, of course go ahead.

There's nothing wrong with using an arbitrary field to break ties as long as the value of that field is stable. The order of equal elements is ultimately irrelevant, so any stable ordering solution is as good as any other.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

Re: bug: chdman output depends on system qsort() implementation new [Re: AaronGiles]
#289748 - 06/18/12 04:08 AM

> There's nothing wrong with using an arbitrary field to break ties as long as the
> value of that field is stable. The order of equal elements is ultimately irrelevant,
> so any stable ordering solution is as good as any other.

What I meant is that (unless I'm misunderstanding his code), he's temporarily stuffing curcode into m_bits (which is not being used yet) so that he can get at it to use as a tie breaker inside the qsort compare...

m_huffnode[curcode].m_bits = curcode;

Then he later sets m_bits back to 0 after the sort...

node.m_bits = 0;

Essentially, he's hijacking an existing member of the node object and storing something else in it temporarily, which is fine, but it just seems like something that could be confusing if it wasn't documented clearly. That's why I suggested that there might be another way to do it that didn't involve hijacking m_bits. Unfortunately, I can't think of one.

At the points where m_bits is being set and later cleared aren't right before and after the sort, so unless you already understand what's going on, I don't think it would make much sense. And if you look inside the comparison function, it appears that m_bits is being compared between the two nodes, but actually the curcode for each node is being compared, it's just stored in m_bits.

jmak
MAME Fan
Send PM

#289867 - 06/19/12 09:30 PM

Thanks, I just tried the conversion of cubeqst.chd, with Win32, 32bit wine, and Linux/glibc 64bit build. All produced the same valid result.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 442 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2168