MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Reged: 01/28/12
Loc: Freeport, PA
Send PM

Prometheus
#289533 - 06/15/12 03:52 AM

After geeking out during some brainstorming during classes today I had to mellow with a movie that y'all might have heard of...

It was really geeky cool. I was impressed by Ridley Scott's film, though I didn't see it in 3-D (the Sarver cinema doesn't have 3-D yet but I had some nice geeky talk with the manager there since I'm always curious about things). Nice flick to check out on an afternoon matinee for $5USD. I'll write 'em a "Thank You" letter. :-)

It's the kind of movie that you just watch and think about while watching. The numerous connections to "Alien" were nice, though. And at least the first part of the "corporation" was uncovered. I'd love to see how the sequel to this will venture out to expand and connect with the known canon.

I hope Ridley stays on board. This was quite good but still needs a bit more movie to flesh things out further.

Now I have to consider tweaking my home theater setup down within the dungeon. And I just popped "Alien" from that freakin' huge 2003 Alien Quadrilogy set (I really didn't like having to "unwind" the package just to get one freakin' flick).

It was a very, very good day. I'm satisfied. :-)

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

keshbach1
Reged: 08/26/05
Send PM

Re: Prometheus new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#289618 - 06/16/12 06:30 PM

> It was really geeky cool. I was impressed by Ridley Scott's film, though I didn't see
> it in 3-D (the Sarver cinema doesn't have 3-D yet but I had some nice geeky talk with
> the manager there since I'm always curious about things). Nice flick to check out on
> an afternoon matinee for $5USD. I'll write 'em a "Thank You" letter. :-)

I saw it in IMAX 3D and the visuals were absolutely amazing and thought the story was good though the ending kindly of felt like they had to ram in a connection to Alien.

Kevin Eshbach

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Send PM

Re: Prometheus new [Re: keshbach1]
#289628 - 06/16/12 08:00 PM

Quote:

I saw it in IMAX 3D and the visuals were absolutely amazing and thought the story was good though the ending kindly of felt like they had to ram in a connection to Alien.

I agree on the ending. I think they could've have held out on that reveal within a potential sequel. Though it isn't like the other references to Alien aren't that subtle.

I may have to spend extra money to see it in 3-D flick. It would be my first modern 3-D flick, though. The last 3-D flick I've seen was that craptastic "Metalstorm" flick back in the '80s.

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

DR
Skeptical Linkbot
Reged: 04/05/07
Loc: UK
Send PM

Re: Prometheus SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!! new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#289776 - 06/18/12 03:04 PM

> I saw it in IMAX 3D and the visuals were absolutely amazing and thought the story was
> good though the ending kindly of felt like they had to ram in a connection to Alien.
>
> I agree on the ending. I think they could've have held out on that reveal within a
> potential sequel. Though it isn't like the other references to Alien aren't that
> subtle.

I think they could have left it with the alien craft crashing but they left it open for a sequel. My wife pointed out an bit of hole in the script, how did the engineer get from his ship to the "lifeboat"? Held his breath? Also they shoe horned in the "Alien origin" at the end with the engineer / creature hybrid but why then was there an Alien sculpture in the engineer ship?

I thought it was a pretty good prequel overall but a bit too similar to the original Alien story, a fantastic visual spectical in I-Max 3D though. My wife gave it a three word review "That was disturbing".

There is no sin except stupidity.

TrevEB
Brokering peace between the collectors and the Mame Community
Reged: 03/11/05
Loc: Oakland, CA
Send PM

Re: Prometheus SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!! new [Re: DR]
#289801 - 06/18/12 11:16 PM

oh so many holes. However I think I can fill that one.
The engineers could probably deal with unpleasant atmospheres. They visited our Earth before plant life took hold. The engineer is not naked. He's got on a Bio suit of some sort.
Now, how the engineer managed to get to the escape pod so quickly. That is movie magic.

roscian
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/11/07
Loc: City of Angels
Send PM

#289862 - 06/19/12 08:05 PM

I'm sure you were waiting for someone with this type of reply, so here it is.

I saw this movie two days ago (not 3-D), and sorry to say it was a waste of money and time.

Please, no one, waste money nor their time with this. Do not rent, Redbox, Netflix, nor anything else.

Just skip this one and move on. Yes, it's that bad. And, no, I did not ask all of the six people who "filled" the theatre with me but, I can bet they felt the same.

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

Re: Prometheus new [Re: roscian]
#289864 - 06/19/12 09:01 PM

> I'm sure you were waiting for someone with this type of reply, so here it is.

I'm also sure you were sinking for a reply like this so here I go wikipediafagocitationstyle:

>>The film garnered a 74% approval rating from 238 critics – an average rating of 6.9 out of 10 – on the review-aggregate website Rotten Tomatoes, whose consensus reads: "Ridley Scott's ambitious quasi-prequel to Alien may not answer all of its big questions, but it's redeemed by its haunting visual grandeur and compelling performances -- particularly Michael Fassbender as a fastidious android."[181] Metacritic provides a score of 65 out of 100 from 42 critics, indicating "generally favorable" reviews.[182] CinemaScore polls reported that the average grade moviegoers gave the film was a "B" on an A+ to F scale, with audience members under 25 rating it the highest at A-.[178][183] Reviews were frequently praising of both the film's visual aesthetic and design, and Fassbender's performance as the android David received almost universal acclaim. However the plot drew a more mixed response, with criticism of plot elements that remained unresolved or were predictable, tempered by appreciation for the action and horror set-pieces.

Additionally, it scores currently at 7.7 on IMDb (76k voters) which isn't bad either. So between that and your comments, I'm more inclined to think that you might like it more or less, but the movie is not *that* bad.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

Bekki Doll
Send PM

Re: Prometheus new [Re: Pi]
#289870 - 06/19/12 10:29 PM

Quote:

...I'm more inclined to think that you might like it more or less, but the movie is not *that* bad.

It all depends on what one is looking for in a sci-fi movie. It's not a slam-bang actionfest that just happens to have elements in space like "Independence Day" and it's definitively not a sci-horror flick like "Alien". It certainly isn't sci-fantasy like "Star Wars". The problem with "Prometheus" is that the characters are not very well fleshed out and the movie is either exposition or expansion of the "Alien" universe.

Oh, there's far worse dreck out that passes for sci-fi. Y'all more than likely have a list of directors/producers/etc. of films that you MUST deliberately miss like sidestepping doggie doo on the street. :-)

--Bekki

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

#289882 - 06/20/12 02:48 AM

> ...I'm more inclined to think that you might like it more or less, but the movie is
> not *that* bad.
>
> It all depends on what one is looking for in a sci-fi movie. It's not a slam-bang
> actionfest that just happens to have elements in space like "Independence Day" and
> it's definitively not a sci-horror flick like "Alien". It certainly isn't sci-fantasy
> like "Star Wars". The problem with "Prometheus" is that the characters are not very
> well fleshed out and the movie is either exposition or expansion of the "Alien"
> universe.
>
> Oh, there's far worse dreck out that passes for sci-fi. Y'all more than likely have a
> list of directors/producers/etc. of films that you MUST deliberately miss like
> sidestepping doggie doo on the street. :-)
>
> --Bekki

Are you trying to say Prometheus is a better movie than Piranhaconda?

Bekki Doll
Send PM

Re: Prometheus new [Re: TriggerFin]
#289884 - 06/20/12 03:55 AM

Quote:

Are you trying to say Prometheus is a better movie than Piranhaconda?

Holy cow! Michael Madsen stars in it! eh kills piranhaconda and doesn't afraid of anything...! LOL!!!111!1!

--Bekki

Gor
Giver of truth.
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: The basement
Send PM

Re: Prometheus SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!! new [Re: DR]
#289995 - 06/21/12 09:46 PM

> > I saw it in IMAX 3D and the visuals were absolutely amazing and thought the story
> was
> > good though the ending kindly of felt like they had to ram in a connection to
> Alien.
> >
> > I agree on the ending. I think they could've have held out on that reveal within a
> > potential sequel. Though it isn't like the other references to Alien aren't that
> > subtle.
>
> I think they could have left it with the alien craft crashing but they left it open
> for a sequel. My wife pointed out an bit of hole in the script, how did the engineer
> get from his ship to the "lifeboat"? Held his breath? Also they shoe horned in the
> "Alien origin" at the end with the engineer / creature hybrid but why then was there
> an Alien sculpture in the engineer ship?
>

I find it plausible that the engineers could have accidentally created the engineer/creature hybrid
in previous lab experiments. Then they built the sculpture as a reminder to not fuck up.

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 107 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1865