MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Reged: 01/28/12
Loc: Freeport, PA
Send PM

23 Minutes of...uhh...they have conventions for THAT?
#289337 - 06/13/12 02:36 AM

It's cold comfort for me in knowing that I like Hello Kitty. And yet I'm sure there is a con out there for that as well. Scary stuff.

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: 23 Minutes of...uhh...they have conventions for THAT? new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#289338 - 06/13/12 03:08 AM

OK you've gone over your gay quota for the month already. Probably should have spaced it out a little, being only the 12th.

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Send PM

Re: 23 Minutes of...uhh...they have conventions for THAT? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#289341 - 06/13/12 03:14 AM

Quote:

OK you've gone over your gay quota for the month already.

Whazzat quota last month? Nobody tells me nuthin'.

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

Re: 23 Minutes of...uhh...they have conventions for THAT? new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#289396 - 06/13/12 08:14 PM

It's not much unlike an anime convention. They were very small in the early 90s when I was a fansubber (Super VHS tape was god back then). Then you notice people joining the scene just to belong to something and you know it's time to move on.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: 23 Minutes of...uhh...they have conventions for THAT? new [Re: yaggy]
#289405 - 06/13/12 09:45 PM

> It's not much unlike an anime convention. They were very small in the early 90s when
> I was a fansubber (Super VHS tape was god back then). Then you notice people joining
> the scene just to belong to something and you know it's time to move on.

Except the subject matter of anime fits the demographic(s) that are attracted to it. 20-something geeks attending a con for a cartoon specifically geared toward little girls is weird and a tad creepy. I'm still not convinced the whole brony thing isn't just some kind of elaborate hoax perpetrated by /b/tards, SA goons, or someone of that ilk.

Bekki Doll
Send PM

Re: 23 Minutes of...uhh...they have conventions for THAT? new [Re: DMala]
#289408 - 06/13/12 10:11 PM

Quote:

20-something geeks attending a con for a cartoon specifically geared toward little girls is weird and a tad creepy.

Yeah. That.

I can understand Anthrocon (this weekend within my backyard, BTW) and Otakon. But when that niche is narrowed down, such as with the My Little Pony thang, that level playing field just makes the creepiness all the more vivid for someone who isn't within that clique.

And, just like there's yiff and hentai, what makes anyone think that Rule 34 doesn't apply to bronies? And that's where you see a good thing, once seen as nice and kid-friendly, perverted accordingly. The funny part is when bronies are caught with that sad fact dangling over them. That's when it gets entertaining as they attempt the futile act of denial.

It's not that don't understand the fandom. It's just that it can go too far. So there's my little comfort zone of having that false sense of security that there may be Rule 34 regarding a lovely fishing tourney such as Bassmasters.

I need to cleanse my mind. Where's my Hello Kitty DVD set... ;-)

--Bekki

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

#289412 - 06/13/12 10:54 PM

> > It's not much unlike an anime convention. They were very small in the early 90s
> when
> > I was a fansubber (Super VHS tape was god back then). Then you notice people
> joining
> > the scene just to belong to something and you know it's time to move on.
>
> Except the subject matter of anime fits the demographic(s) that are attracted to it.
> 20-something geeks attending a con for a cartoon specifically geared toward little
> girls is weird and a tad creepy. I'm still not convinced the whole brony thing isn't
> just some kind of elaborate hoax perpetrated by /b/tards, SA goons, or someone of
> that ilk.

Go here: http://www.humblebundle.com/ and look at the (currently) second top donor. Brony's been up there for every bundle for months now. Granted, it's actually a group effort, but that's an expensive hoax.

So was the video about TrotCon, or some other con that everypony cares about?

LOL. Hoping there's only the one, but not about to watch them sing MLP tunes to find out.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Gawddamnit new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#289432 - 06/14/12 01:28 AM

> It's cold comfort for me in knowing that I like Hello Kitty. And yet I'm sure there
> is a con out there for that as well. Scary stuff.
>
> --Bekki

This was the only - THE ONLY - forum which I frequent that had remained free of any mention of Bronies.

THANKS A LOT FOR RUINING THIS PLACE, BEKKI. Now I'm gonna have to burn the server down just to get their stench out.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#289437 - 06/14/12 01:45 AM

> 20-something geeks attending a con for a cartoon specifically geared toward little
> girls is weird and a tad creepy. I'm still not convinced the whole brony thing isn't
> just some kind of elaborate hoax perpetrated by /b/tards, SA goons, or someone of
> that ilk.

Except that it isn't. Original MLP, yes, but the Friendship is Magic reboot is cleverly written to keep parents interested as well as entertain the kids. There's a whole layer of subtlety there that will likely go over the kids' heads put in to entertain the adults. Not everything is as it seems. But yes, you have to sit through a couple of episodes before you start to pick up on this, and you probably don't have an excuse for that if you don't have kids.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

HAHAHAH! Here, let me "fix" that for you... (NSFE) new [Re: Foxhack]
#289438 - 06/14/12 01:49 AM Attachment: tumblr_m55i0gdpRx1r3pwvzo1_500.jpg 119 KB (0 downloads)

> This was the only - THE ONLY - forum which I frequent that had remained free of any
> mention of Bronies.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Bekki Doll
Send PM

Re: Gawddamnit new [Re: Foxhack]
#289440 - 06/14/12 02:15 AM

Quote:

This was the only - THE ONLY - forum which I frequent that had remained free of any mention of Bronies.

Glad ya like my work. :-)

Shouldn't you be in Pittsburgh this weekend? I was thinkin' ya'd be busy packin'. ;-)

--Bekki

Matty_
Part-time troll
Reged: 01/25/08
Send PM

#289443 - 06/14/12 03:08 AM

> girls is weird and a tad creepy.

Acid – it explains the college dude obsession with My Little Pony, Teletubbies, In the Night Garden, etc. All the bright colours with that heightened sense of awareness gives an amazing high (or so I've heard).

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Used to call him Bath House Bekki new [Re: Foxhack]
#289446 - 06/14/12 03:59 AM

Later it was Rest Stop Rebekka. These days, Fudge Pack Doll House, Dicky Doll or Bekki-Bekki Butt Munch Dookie Doll.

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

Re: 23 Minutes of...uhh...they have conventions for THAT? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#289448 - 06/14/12 04:16 AM

My 4 year old likes to watch it. It just seems like a Power Puff Girls clone to me. Oooohh, they're girls....but they're tough and don't put up with anything. Here's some loud noises (why are characters in cartoons these days always SHOUTING?!?!) and flashy colors, with flat, boring, stencil like animation.....it's played out now. It's been done to death.

Get off my lawn

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#289456 - 06/14/12 05:23 AM

> Except that it isn't. Original MLP, yes, but the Friendship is Magic reboot is
> cleverly written to keep parents interested as well as entertain the kids. There's a
> whole layer of subtlety there that will likely go over the kids' heads put in to
> entertain the adults. Not everything is as it seems. But yes, you have to sit through
> a couple of episodes before you start to pick up on this, and you probably don't have
> an excuse for that if you don't have kids.

I have no doubt that it's entertaining. As I recall, the creator or producer or someone is the same person who did the Powerpuff Girls, which was also a pretty entertaining cartoon. But there's a huge difference between watching and enjoying the show (even with no kids in the room) and being so obsessed that you'll go out in public to buy too-small pony ears and discuss minutiae with like-minded, neck bearded people.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: 23 Minutes of...uhh...they have conventions for THAT? new [Re: Matty_]
#289469 - 06/14/12 11:41 AM

> > 20-something geeks attending a con for a cartoon specifically geared toward little
> > girls is weird and a tad creepy.
>
> Acid – it explains the college dude obsession with My Little Pony, Teletubbies, In
> the Night Garden, etc. All the bright colours with that heightened sense of awareness
> gives an amazing high (or so I've heard).

Teletubbies is also popular with gays because TinkyWinky is purple (gay colour), has a triangular antenna (gay symbol) and has a handbag (gay fashion).

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: 23 Minutes of...uhh...they have conventions for THAT? new [Re: Hizzout]
#289470 - 06/14/12 11:42 AM

> My 4 year old likes to watch it. It just seems like a Power Puff Girls clone to me.
> Oooohh, they're girls....but they're tough and don't put up with anything. Here's
> some loud noises (why are characters in cartoons these days always SHOUTING?!?!) and
> flashy colors, with flat, boring, stencil like animation.....it's played out now.
> It's been done to death.

You're watching it like a kid and missing the subtle parts.

Bekki Doll
Send PM

Re: Used to call him Bath House Bekki new [Re: Smitdogg]
#289473 - 06/14/12 12:34 PM

Quote:

Later it was Rest Stop Rebekka. These days, Fudge Pack Doll House, Dicky Doll or Bekki-Bekki Butt Munch Dookie Doll.

You must be fixated upon something. Finding yerself alone in the cp proana pride parade and are ya reachin' out? Not around? ;-)

--Bekki

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

Re: Gawddamnit new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#289480 - 06/14/12 02:13 PM

> This was the only - THE ONLY - forum which I frequent that had remained free of any
> mention of Bronies.
>
> Glad ya like my work. :-)
>
> Shouldn't you be in Pittsburgh this weekend? I was thinkin' ya'd be busy packin'. ;-)
>
> --Bekki

... why the hell would I ever want to visit Pittsburgh?

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#289481 - 06/14/12 02:17 PM Attachment: immigrant.gif 13 KB (0 downloads)

> ... why the hell would I ever want to visit Pittsburgh?

I dunno, maybe steal someone's job or something? That's what we Mexicans are supposed to do, isn't it?

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Gor
Giver of truth.
Loc: The basement
Send PM

#289485 - 06/14/12 02:50 PM

> > It's cold comfort for me in knowing that I like Hello Kitty. And yet I'm sure there
> > is a con out there for that as well. Scary stuff.
> >
> > --Bekki
>
> mention of Bronies.
>
> THANKS A LOT FOR RUINING THIS PLACE, BEKKI. Now I'm gonna have to burn the server
> down just to get their stench out.

I had never encountered the term before this thread. Now that I know what it means, I think I was better off.

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: Gawddamnit new [Re: Gor]
#289489 - 06/14/12 03:47 PM

> I had never encountered the term before this thread. Now that I know what it means, I
> think I was better off.

Why, have you found you might be one?

Ugh.

Have never watched an episode of MLP, old or new. Have seen some YT vids involving a "be a pony" mod for Minecraft, played by more-or-less adult men (and probably women, there were only two voices recorded). Stopped watching.

Gor
Giver of truth.
Loc: The basement
Send PM

Re: Gawddamnit new [Re: TriggerFin]
#289493 - 06/14/12 04:11 PM

> > I had never encountered the term before this thread. Now that I know what it means,
> I
> > think I was better off.
>
> Why, have you found you might be one?
>
> Ugh.
>
> Have never watched an episode of MLP, old or new. Have seen some YT vids involving a
> "be a pony" mod for Minecraft, played by more-or-less adult men (and probably women,
> there were only two voices recorded). Stopped watching.

I don't think I've ever watched an episode of MLP, either. I have watched a lot of X-Men, Archer (thanks italie),
and Ugly Americans on Netflix in the last year or so though.

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Used to call him Bath House Bekki new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#289501 - 06/14/12 05:41 PM

Bath House Bekki what they called him.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#289506 - 06/14/12 06:58 PM

Also because his name is...TinkyWinky.

Bekki Doll
Send PM

Re: Too awesome. ;-) {nt} new [Re: Smitdogg]
#289530 - 06/15/12 02:11 AM

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

Re: Gawddamnit new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#289538 - 06/15/12 06:13 AM

> > ... why the hell would I ever want to visit Pittsburgh?
>
> I dunno, maybe steal someone's job or something? That's what we Mexicans are supposed
> to do, isn't it?

Wait, I thought we're supposed to do all the shit Americans don't want to do.

HAVE I BEEN LIVING A LIE?!

Matty_
Part-time troll
Reged: 01/25/08
Send PM

#289541 - 06/15/12 07:17 AM

> > > ... why the hell would I ever want to visit Pittsburgh?
> >
> > I dunno, maybe steal someone's job or something? That's what we Mexicans are supposed
> > to do, isn't it?
>
> Wait, I thought we're supposed to do all the shit Americans don't want to do.
>
> HAVE I BEEN LIVING A LIE?!

You two need to get a room
and some tacos

Bekki Doll
Send PM

Re: Gawddamnit new [Re: Gor]
#289632 - 06/16/12 08:25 PM

Quote:

I don't think I've ever watched an episode of MLP, either.

I have seen enough in that video clip. After watching that any MLP swag gives me the creeps. I'm tempted to go out of my way keep an eye out for potential deviants within the toy section of a department store by walking out of my way and peeking into that aisle.

Just to be sure everything is safe.

The irony is that I hang out and communicate with furries within the fringe. So I've seen a lot and heard the stories within. And yes there are those within the fandom who don't mind sharing a little with ya. Usually on yer leg. But they're within the minority and I'm not inclined to go searching for such people, much less wanting to probe further within those deep and dark passages.

Or be probed, for that matter. But I digress.

Bronies, on the other hand, are a bit too overt in that creepy touchy-feely thang. It's as if that natural layer of self-restraint that builds up through years of maturity via life experience just isn't there, if it even exists as a shred to begin with, is quite underdeveloped.

I just wonder how easy it would be to emotionally crush a Brony.

--Bekki

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 87 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 6511