MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

FMecha
MAME's (Armchair) Motorsports Consultant
Reged: 01/18/09
Send PM

Bugs in Taito punching games?
#288876 - 06/07/12 08:22 AM

sbm: In the attract mode ("See You Again" part and the scrolling text that says "SONIC BLAST MAN") something is missing in the one of the skyscraper. It appears in Tilemap Viewer (F4 menu) however.

realpunc: The face (placeholder) and the body appears seperated in Digitize Stage 2.

Edited by ArtLine (06/07/12 08:35 AM)

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: Bugs in Taito punching games? new [Re: FMecha]
#288881 - 06/07/12 03:58 PM Attachment: 0001.png 10 KB (0 downloads)

> sbm: In the attract mode ("See You Again" part and the scrolling text that says
> "SONIC BLAST MAN") something is missing in the one of the skyscraper. It appears in
> Tilemap Viewer (F4 menu) however.
>
> realpunc: The face (placeholder) and the body appears seperated in Digitize Stage 2.
>
> Images:

Regarding sbm, it appears purposely obscured, especially in this snap in demonstration you clearly see a blue circle sprite encompassing the area of the antenna on the top of the building? Why.. no clue.. it just is.

The realpunc issue is unknown as to why that one digitize option offsets the face after it has been hit. Perhaps someone else might have some ideas.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Bugs in Taito punching games? new [Re: Tafoid]
#288883 - 06/07/12 04:57 PM

> Regarding sbm, it appears purposely obscured, especially in this snap in
> demonstration you clearly see a blue circle sprite encompassing the area of the
> antenna on the top of the building? Why.. no clue.. it just is.

The building looks an awful lot like the Sears Tower in Chicago. My guess would be that they didn't get permission to use the likeness, and the lawyers got nervous and had them alter it at the last minute to avoid legal problems.

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: Bugs in Taito punching games? new [Re: DMala]
#288884 - 06/07/12 05:05 PM

> > Regarding sbm, it appears purposely obscured, especially in this snap in
> > demonstration you clearly see a blue circle sprite encompassing the area of the
> > antenna on the top of the building? Why.. no clue.. it just is.
>
> The building looks an awful lot like the Sears Tower in Chicago. My guess would be
> that they didn't get permission to use the likeness, and the lawyers got nervous and
> had them alter it at the last minute to avoid legal problems.

Now.. that is reasoning I can fall behind

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#288886 - 06/07/12 06:26 PM

> The building looks an awful lot like the Sears Tower in Chicago. My guess would be
> that they didn't get permission to use the likeness, and the lawyers got nervous and
> had them alter it at the last minute to avoid legal problems.

Agreed 100%. Legal approval is often done very late - in this case the mask roms for the tilemap were probably already done so they came up with a hack to make the building less distinctively the Sears Tower.

Phil Bennett
L'Emuchat
Reged: 04/20/04
Send PM

Re: Bugs in Taito punching games? new [Re: Tafoid]
#288887 - 06/07/12 06:39 PM

> The realpunc issue is unknown as to why that one digitize option offsets the face
> after it has been hit. Perhaps someone else might have some ideas.

It's possibly due to a deficiency in MAME's HD63484 CRTC implementation. That chip is used to manage and display the camera frame buffer.

Original Title
Reged: 06/14/04
Send PM

Re: Bugs in Taito punching games? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#288900 - 06/07/12 10:42 PM

You have to get approval to use the likeness of a building? Why, Jebus, why?

DrArcade
AKA Mr. CAST
Reged: 03/27/12
Loc: Latin America
Send PM

Re: Bugs in Taito punching games? new [Re: 2600]
#288907 - 06/08/12 12:24 AM Attachment: us-embassy-colombia.JPG 59 KB (0 downloads)

> You have to get approval to use the likeness of a building? Why, Jebus, why?

It's crazy, but not as crazy as: The next time you are in a foreign country that has a US embassy, stand in front of it and try to take a picture (of the embassy). Watch the plain clothes guys encircle you and destroy your camera.

After you complain etc, you'll be informed that due to national security of the USA, you aren't allowed to take photos, When you complain to your local government you'll be forwarded to the ministry of exterior affairs, there you'll be told due to some convention they can't name specifically (Geneva/Hague, etc) [insert country here] has additional verbal agreements, of which is the US's wish to have NO NEW photos taken of their embassies on foreign soil.

Mr. CAST

[example one of the very few pictures of the US Embassy in Colombia that exist] You'll notice fewer and fewer images available online of almost all foreign US Embassies.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#288909 - 06/08/12 12:32 AM

> You have to get approval to use the likeness of a building? Why, Jebus, why?

Because the image of a recognizable building can be construed as the tenants/owners of the building approving of your game. Seriously. This is why licensed sports games have to pay the owners of each of the stadiums, for instance.

Original Title
Reged: 06/14/04
Send PM

#288912 - 06/08/12 02:36 AM

> > You have to get approval to use the likeness of a building? Why, Jebus, why?
>
> Because the image of a recognizable building can be construed as the tenants/owners
> of the building approving of your game. Seriously. This is why licensed sports games
> have to pay the owners of each of the stadiums, for instance.

The sports thing I can understand, they let you know a million times during a broadcast, but the building thing is mind bottling. The next thing you are going to tell me is that ASCAP will ask for licensing fee from Guitar Hero Arcade.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#288947 - 06/08/12 04:55 PM

> The sports thing I can understand, they let you know a million times during a
> broadcast, but the building thing is mind bottling. The next thing you are going to
> tell me is that ASCAP will ask for licensing fee from Guitar Hero Arcade.

Huh? Of course those songs are licensed. They're the real tracks by the real artists.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Bugs in Taito punching games? new [Re: DrArcade]
#288950 - 06/08/12 07:12 PM

> It's crazy, but not as crazy as: The next time you are in a foreign country that has
> a US embassy, stand in front of it and try to take a picture (of the embassy). Watch
> the plain clothes guys encircle you and destroy your camera.

The irony is that if you were conducting surveillance then you would probably use a hidden camera. It only stops tourists.

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

Re: Bugs in Taito punching games? new [Re: DrArcade]
#289011 - 06/09/12 07:47 PM Attachment: DSC01515.JPG 140 KB (0 downloads)

I took one when I was in Madrid a few years ago.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

joey35car
MAME Fan
Send PM

#289012 - 06/09/12 07:53 PM Attachment: Image035.jpg 286 KB (0 downloads)

Taken on the 26th floor at the Daley Center.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Bugs in Taito punching games? new [Re: joey35car]
#289383 - 06/13/12 04:51 PM

> I took one when I was in Madrid a few years ago.

Clever - if you post enough of these, the FBI might haul Smit away and seize the domain. Is that intentional on your part? ;-)

joey35car
MAME Fan
Send PM

#289387 - 06/13/12 05:40 PM

> > I took one when I was in Madrid a few years ago.
>
> Clever - if you post enough of these, the FBI might haul Smit away and seize the
> domain. Is that intentional on your part? ;-)

Who's Smitdogg? LOL just kidding, I appreciate all the hard work he does for MAME and everybody else.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 450 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2195