MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

Problem with WarGods chd?
#288758 - 06/05/12 04:50 PM

I cannot run WarGods,this is what I get

I have not upgraded my chds yet,so I thought that was the problem so I tried a v5 WarGods chd and got the same thing.
I am using official MAME 146 from MAMEdev.org

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: Problem with WarGods chd? new [Re: mesk]
#288759 - 06/05/12 05:00 PM

> I cannot run WarGods,this is what I get
>
>
> I have not upgraded my chds yet,so I thought that was the problem so I tried a v5
> WarGods chd and got the same thing.
> I am using official MAME 146 from MAMEdev.org

Like the message says as the first problem: "mismatched DIFF and CHD" - The version of your .DIF file (in DIFF folder) doesn't match the version of the CHD. Erase the .dif associated with the chds (or better yet, clear them all out to avoid problems.

I recently changed the message for the error to something I would have hoped people would understand but I'm still amazed at the amount of people who have no idea about the DIFF files.

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

Re: Problem with WarGods chd? new [Re: Tafoid]
#288761 - 06/05/12 05:16 PM

Thanks Tafoid,but how would they have gotten mismatched in the first place?

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

#288764 - 06/05/12 06:27 PM

> Thanks Tafoid,but how would they have gotten mismatched in the first place?

because latest MAME only supports reading of v4 CHDs. DIFF files are changes done to the original Hard Disk (e.g. high scores saved on the HD) which get written to the disk at loading time, so that the original dump does not get modified and people can use it to repair real cabinets

summing up, when you launch the game, MAME tries to write the DIFF changes to the v4 CHD and fails because the v4 CHD is only supported for reads (in latest MAME) ---> error message gets displayed.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#288765 - 06/05/12 06:28 PM

> Thanks Tafoid,but how would they have gotten mismatched in the first place?

I think an older version of MAME created it and running a different or newer version, the actual file has differences similar to how nvram system has changed.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Problem with WarGods chd? new [Re: etabeta]
#288771 - 06/05/12 11:33 PM

I would suggest that this is a case where there's no reason MAME shouldn't just do the right thing: if there's any kind of non-filesystem related reason a diff chd doesn't open (version mismatch, damaged header, whatever), delete it and create a new one. Obviously if some error comes back from the underlying OS (bad path or I/O error or whatever) then you'd show a message and halt.

AaronGiles
Galaxiwarrior
Send PM

Re: Problem with WarGods chd? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#288773 - 06/06/12 12:03 AM

> I would suggest that this is a case where there's no reason MAME shouldn't just do
> the right thing: if there's any kind of non-filesystem related reason a diff chd
> doesn't open (version mismatch, damaged header, whatever), delete it and create a new
> one. Obviously if some error comes back from the underlying OS (bad path or I/O error
> or whatever) then you'd show a message and halt.

It doesn't do that because you may want to keep/upgrade the contents of the DIFF. There may be high scores or other data you want kept, so just deleting it isn't a viable option. And renaming + silently upgrading it isn't great either because you won't know what happened or why changes you made are suddenly gone.

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

Re: Problem with WarGods chd? new [Re: AaronGiles]
#288794 - 06/06/12 07:25 AM

> > I would suggest that this is a case where there's no reason MAME shouldn't just do
> > the right thing: if there's any kind of non-filesystem related reason a diff chd
> > doesn't open (version mismatch, damaged header, whatever), delete it and create a
> new
> > one. Obviously if some error comes back from the underlying OS (bad path or I/O
> error
> > or whatever) then you'd show a message and halt.
>
> It doesn't do that because you may want to keep/upgrade the contents of the DIFF.
> There may be high scores or other data you want kept, so just deleting it isn't a
> viable option. And renaming + silently upgrading it isn't great either because you
> won't know what happened or why changes you made are suddenly gone.

is there any way to upgrade the contents of the diff?

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Problem with WarGods chd? new [Re: etabeta]
#288822 - 06/06/12 04:59 PM

> is there any way to upgrade the contents of the diff?

"chdman copy" should work as far as I know, but I haven't tried it.

AaronGiles
Galaxiwarrior
Send PM

Re: Problem with WarGods chd? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#288853 - 06/06/12 11:23 PM

> > is there any way to upgrade the contents of the diff?
>
> "chdman copy" should work as far as I know, but I haven't tried it.

chdman copy -c none -i diff.dif -ip parent.chd -o newdiff.dif -op parent.chd

should do the trick and create a new diff, in theory.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
2 registered and 169 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3831