MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

Teacher suspended for doing his job
#288458 - 06/01/12 05:58 PM Attachment: wut.jpg 70 KB (0 downloads)

Edmonton teacher suspended for giving 0s

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Re: Teacher suspended for doing his job new [Re: Hizzout]
#288461 - 06/01/12 06:17 PM

Kids getting promoted for doing commendable work?

Employees getting promoted for doing commendable work?

People taking responsibility for their own success or failure?

Those are things of the past... the new social engineering is everyone gets treated equally, its the "fair" way to do things. That school board's position was literally that it's unfair to fail those kids who don't do the assignments. Too lazy to work, no problem.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#288470 - 06/01/12 08:35 PM

> Edmonton teacher suspended for giving 0s

Ugh, this brings bad memories back.

What would your reaction be if you effort so much on a homework you were to research across the semester? You did it but failed the deadline for 15 minutes. It could sound fair you get an instant zero and move on right? Well, what if it turns out the class is Vocational Orientation and the very same work counts as the 60% of your overall final score and there are not extraordinary exams that could save your ass off?

In short I failed an easy class because the bitch for teacher I had didn't accept my homework I put so much effort to complete. And as best as my scores were across the semester the best I could manage because of that was a 4. And for that I had to re-take (and pay for) that class next year with people a grade lesser than me.

It was not a surprise for me when I knew many years later a student committed suicide in front of a teacher (he/she jumped from the 3rd floor and fall upward) at my high school. One thing is prepare students for the real world, but another is to look for minor excuses to make a good student fail so they can get more money from them.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: Preacher jailed for doing his job new [Re: Hizzout]
#288472 - 06/01/12 09:44 PM

Then there's this...

http://endoftheamericandream.com/archive...-their-children

No need for the 'R' word debate. Bye-bye 1st Amendment rights.

Edited by Tom Braider (06/01/12 09:44 PM)

LEVEL-4

Hizzout
Send PM

Re: Teacher suspended for doing his job new [Re: BIOS-D]
#288473 - 06/01/12 09:44 PM

I was hardly a good student in high school and I had my fair share of zeros (that I know I deserved....NOW)

The fact of the matter is that school is supposed to prepare you for the real world. In just about every occupation I can think of, if you don't do the work you're supposed to, or if you don't meet deadlines, there isn't a second chance. That's about as real as it gets.

Imagine if a EMT or fire fighter slacked off. That could amount to loss of life. An extreme example sure, but there isn't any "make up test" or "extra credit" to make up for that. If you fail to meet your responsibilities in real life, you FAIL in real life.

If my kids don't do their work, yet still expect to pass, or get graded on what little work they did actually do, how fair is that to those students who did their assignments thoroughly and on time?

The school in the original article is basically teaching kids that they don't have to keep to deadlines, or put forth the same amount of effort as those that are trying and the kids can still expect to get a grade.

Of course it's sad that a student from your school committed suicide but that just reinforces the fact that they were not prepared for failure. In the real world, everyone is NOT treated equally or fairly and you need to rely on your book smarts as well as street smarts to get by. It's a cold, cruel world out there sometimes and kids need to realize that their parents aren't always going to be there to bail them out.

Hizzout
Send PM

Re: Preacher jailed for doing his job new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#288474 - 06/01/12 09:49 PM

I was spanked as a kid....but not beaten. There is a difference.

One quick swat across the butt is hardly abuse, and IMO teaches the kid to respect the parent's authority. I also firmly believe that a swat or spank shouldn't be the first line of discipline.

A swat IMO should only be as a last resort for discipline, and it should be prefaced with a warning, i.e. "I've told you twice already not to do that. If you do it again, you're going to get a spanking" Kid does it again, parent follows through on the threat. Kid learns that parent's make good on the threats they give. Kid learns that parents mean what they say.

Gor
Giver of truth.
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: The basement
Send PM

Re: Preacher jailed for doing his job new [Re: Hizzout]
#288475 - 06/01/12 09:58 PM

> I was spanked as a kid....but not beaten. There is a difference.
>
> One quick swat across the butt is hardly abuse, and IMO teaches the kid to respect
> the parent's authority. I also firmly believe that a swat or spank shouldn't be the
> first line of discipline.
>
> A swat IMO should only be as a last resort for discipline, and it should be prefaced
> with a warning, i.e. "I've told you twice already not to do that. If you do it again,
> you're going to get a spanking" Kid does it again, parent follows through on the
> threat. Kid learns that parent's make good on the threats they give. Kid learns that
> parents mean what they say.

I'm not sure how much a 2 month old would learn from being hit on the bare ass with a wooden rod.
Maybe it would stop them from crying when they were hungry or had crapped themselves?

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

Gor
Giver of truth.
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: The basement
Send PM

#288476 - 06/01/12 10:01 PM Attachment: 132_original.jpg 88 KB (0 downloads)

Last year, one of my college professors had a helicopter parent email her about their graduate student child's grade.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

Hizzout
Send PM

Re: Preacher jailed for doing his job new [Re: Gor]
#288477 - 06/01/12 10:03 PM

Well you don't spank a 2 month old, that's just plain stupid...of course that's also grossly overestimating people's ability for common sense.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Send PM

#288484 - 06/02/12 12:11 AM

> Of course it's sad that a student from your school committed suicide but that just
> reinforces the fact that they were not prepared for failure. In the real world,
> everyone is NOT treated equally or fairly and you need to rely on your book smarts as
> well as street smarts to get by. It's a cold, cruel world out there sometimes and
> kids need to realize that their parents aren't always going to be there to bail them
> out.

I agree to a certain point. But the cold and cruel world has also taught me it doesn't matter how smarter you get, knowledge without social skills or extra activities than just homework (remember, no Internet... wasting time on libraries and books all the afternoon using a mechanical typewriter) is useless.

So if my boss needs an urgent report that I present not one day but 15 minutes later because I was perfecting it, I'll automatically get fired and the boss too. Because if my work gets invalidated and is useless, then his will as if he never did that work. I'm sorry, but I don't think the world works like that. No one would have a job for long.

I don't live in Japan. Classes from morning to afternoon and homework for the rest of the day won't make me an educated and prepared person for life. That only converts me into a lower work force for the future. There's only one chance to be teenagers, we're developing into adults but we're not adults. After high school everything is serious, obligatory and boring. That school tried to suddenly push the adult world into kids with more problems than just adolescence. Even worse, my friends and brothers couldn't keep up so they quit and moved to other schools, yet the higher IQ brother was not expected to do such thing, so I was left alone in that nightmare.

In any case, I survived and I'm not a dependent worker as that school tried to train me. I don't miss high school and I won't miss to depend on a boss either. On a positive side, I got stress resistant and autodidact so not everything was lost. :P

DrLarryE
Lurker
Reged: 01/06/08
Send PM

#288538 - 06/02/12 07:20 PM

So you waited until the last minute of the last day to turn in a project that you worked on all semester? Did you ever do that again?....Lesson learned

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#288539 - 06/02/12 07:30 PM

> The fact of the matter is that school is supposed to prepare you for the real world.
> In just about every occupation I can think of, if you don't do the work you're
> supposed to, or if you don't meet deadlines, there isn't a second chance. That's
> about as real as it gets.

Well, it's not true of software and finance industries. There are hard deadlines that have to be hit, there are hard deadlines that you know will be moved out as they approach, there are deadlines that are negotiable, and there are deadlines that can be missed without fear of serious consequences. Knowing which are which is a skill one needs to learn.

snake78
sineku setenta y ocho
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Newport, RI
Send PM

#288547 - 06/02/12 11:49 PM

here, though, the deadline wasn't the issue.

Quote:

Dorval said he always gave uncompleted work what is called "reluctant zeros," where his students were given a number of opportunities to make up the assignment and have the zero replaced with a mark.

"Most of my students did that," he said. "By the end of the year, I hardly had any zeros at all."

He does recall however, one student who had only completed six of 15 items.

He gave them chances to hand stuff in late and actually get a 'mark' instead of the zero.

Now, if he really is a dick, and was picking on that one kid, or something along those lines, that makes the situation different. But based on the article, I think the school's rule itself is lame. And he's right for fighting it.

www.randyrobbinsmusic.com
RandyRobbinsMusic on Facebook

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Teacher suspended for doing his job new [Re: DrLarryE]
#288550 - 06/03/12 12:30 AM

> So you waited until the last minute of the last day to turn in a project that you
> worked on all semester? Did you ever do that again?....Lesson learned

The lesson I learned that day is: If you work for many bosses (teachers) who demand absurd deadlines and tasks, you are in risk to fail at least one. And it better be the easier ones, because the harder tasks will put you in real troubles.

But honestly I was guilty for trying to be a perfectionist. Most teachers want the stuff done, not how good it is. Another reason because I hate deadlines and bosses.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Teacher suspended for doing his job new [Re: snake78]
#288551 - 06/03/12 01:09 AM

> here, though, the deadline wasn't the issue.
>
> Dorval said he always gave uncompleted work what is called "reluctant zeros," where
> his students were given a number of opportunities to make up the assignment and have
> the zero replaced with a mark.
>
> "Most of my students did that," he said. "By the end of the year, I hardly had any
> zeros at all."
>
> He does recall however, one student who had only completed six of 15 items.
>
> He gave them chances to hand stuff in late and actually get a 'mark' instead of the
> zero.
>
> Now, if he really is a dick, and was picking on that one kid, or something along
> those lines, that makes the situation different. But based on the article, I think
> the school's rule itself is lame. And he's right for fighting it.

Yeah I read the article before posting. I said the topic brings back memories but never mentioned the memory was not related to the article. Sorry about that.

Teachers can't go against school rules, like it or not that's a fact. Unfortunately for me I think every teacher follow them as well as me. And I said "I think" because I get the feeling someone with negotiation skills could have passed. All I did was to accept and left without questioning the rules, that's what I was taught to do.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 488 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2148