View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Javier Emilio
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/30/12
Send PM

Regarding Tekken (1994) Music
#288406 - 06/01/12 02:05 AM

Sorry for posting this, but the original Tekken music is slightly high pitched on MAME.

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Regarding Tekken (1994) Music new [Re: Javier Emilio]
#288407 - 06/01/12 02:14 AM

> Sorry for posting this, but the original Tekken music is slightly high pitched on
> MAME.

Don't be sorry. If you want to be taken seriously, post a recording of the original Tekken arcade PCB.

S

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Regarding Tekken (1994) Music new [Re: Sune]
#288414 - 06/01/12 03:58 AM

People probably think it should sound as good as the Playstation port, but that ran on a CD which could hold high quality audio. Compressing it down to fit in roms can crap up the quality and make it sound more high pitched as well as tinny and...shite. I could post a recording of 3 or Tag fwiw... As for part 1, I don't have a board of it here at the moment.

Javier Emilio
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Regarding Tekken (1994) Music new [Re: Smitdogg]
#288416 - 06/01/12 04:14 AM

> People probably think it should sound as good as the Playstation port, but that ran
> on a CD which could hold high quality audio. Compressing it down to fit in roms can
> crap up the quality and make it sound more high pitched as well as tinny and...shite.
> I could post a recording of 3 or Tag fwiw... As for part 1, I don't have a board of
> it here at the moment.
Smitdogg, thank you for your reply.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Regarding Tekken (1994) Music new [Re: Javier Emilio]
#288460 - 06/01/12 06:02 PM

> Sorry for posting this, but the original Tekken music is slightly high pitched on
> MAME.

The pitch was lower back in 0.125 (which I happen to retain for the internal cheat function) but was fixed later on.

Point Blank 2 (also on System 11) used to be too low pitched compared to the System 12 version, however both variants now match as of recent builds.

I don't have an arcade Tekken 1 to check, but Tekken 2's current music/sound pitch is 100% identical to the arcade (I also tried the PlayStation version as a test, and the "arcade" intro is also the same pitch as the original, as is the music). I don't think that Tekken 1 would differ in the sound department.

Actually, IIRC Tekken 1 always did have higher pitched voices on the arcade compared to the PSX though. Either way, the music should be the same pitch if you compare it to the soundtrack (or the PSX disc, since that title used normal CD-audio tracks instead of XA). Note that the Kazuya intro video is remixed and the 'original' intro music isn't available on the PSX version (they fixed this in Tekken 2 by making two different 'arcade' intro videos, both with different background music).

--------------------------------------------------

Update: It does sound like it's slightly higher compared to the rest of the games in the driver, even test sound 0x001 is in 'C sharp' instead of C. By comparison, Tekken 2 is currently correct while Tekken 1 actually does seem too fast (whilst being correct in older builds). Interesting...

Edited by Heihachi_73 (06/01/12 06:58 PM)

Javier Emilio
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Regarding Tekken (1994) Music new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#294475 - 08/25/12 11:56 PM

Also, some sound effects cannot be heard in the original Tekken while emulating it on all versions of MAME, AFAIK.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 395 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1933