MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Kano11
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/30/11
Send PM

Should I use Mess as my main console emulator ?
#288230 - 05/30/12 01:57 AM

For mame I use mameui cause I like the frontend. I've never used mess before does it have a frontend ? At the mess website they have for dl the MESS 0.146 Source and the Binary. Could someone tell me what the diff is real quick please and which one should I use ? Does either one have a frontend ? thanks I'm hoping someone can take the time and explain this too me.

I would mostly be using mess for consoles from nintendo & sega from the 80's up to playstation 1. Is mess musture enough for these consoles or should I just stick with what I'm been using which is seprate emu's for each console. thanks

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Should I use Mess as my main console emulator ? new [Re: Kano11]
#288234 - 05/30/12 02:52 AM

For simple console loading all you need is official MESS binary and use a Front End called QMC2 (It works for MAME as well)

Just search for the software lists of rebuild them and QMC2 makes loading very easy

Sorry for the short post, but work is very busy, so I couldn't put in the time needed to explain everything

Hopefully some other kind user will come along and chime in.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573028/Genesis%20Megadrive.png

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#288239 - 05/30/12 03:36 AM

GUI version here...
http://messui.the-chronicles.org/

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#288274 - 05/30/12 04:36 PM

> I would mostly be using mess for consoles from nintendo & sega from the 80's up to
> playstation 1. Is mess musture enough for these consoles or should I just stick with
> what I'm been using which is seprate emu's for each console. thanks

For Nintendo and Sega (and Atari and Intellivision and ColecoVision and Vectrex) MESS is fine, PlayStation 1 you'd want to use pSX probably.

Edited by R. Belmont (05/30/12 04:37 PM)

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#288303 - 05/30/12 09:47 PM

> For mame I use mameui cause I like the frontend. I've never used mess before does it
> have a frontend ? At the mess website they have for dl the MESS 0.146 Source and the
> Binary. Could someone tell me what the diff is real quick please and which one should
> I use ? Does either one have a frontend ? thanks I'm hoping someone can take the time
> and explain this too me.
>
> I would mostly be using mess for consoles from nintendo & sega from the 80's up to
> playstation 1. Is mess musture enough for these consoles or should I just stick with
> what I'm been using which is seprate emu's for each console. thanks

If save state support was a requirement, I would probably stick to the current "single" console emulators out there - pSX, Nestopia etc. Save states are relatively rare in MAME, and not many drivers have them hooked up (although, every driver does have a rudimentary save state feature which may or may not work depending on the game, and could lead to glitches or even the driver and/or crashing). The PlayStation driver is still a work-in-progress at this stage so "Your Mileage May Vary".

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

Re: Should I use Mess as my main console emulator ? new [Re: B2K24]
#288306 - 05/30/12 10:13 PM

Truthfully if you already have full rom sets (2600,5200,nes,genesis etc..) the software lists are unnecessary,as QMC2 loads zipped roms just fine.

As far as using MESS as your console emulator I recommend it,for certain consoles that is.I mean if you are a cheater then nes,& snes are out since MESS doesnt have cheats for these systems already made up.

Personally I use MESS on my desktop in addition to the standalone emulators,and I will use it when I want to play something in HLSL.

Also for PSone,as good as pSX is,you may want to give xebra a try,as it plays the games that pSX doesnt

Kano11
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Should I use Mess as my main console emulator ? new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#288328 - 05/31/12 01:30 AM

yay save states are a must. So if mess does not fully support it I'll stick to the single emu. But for console like vecterx and atari etc the single emu is rare or outdated. So I'll keep mess for the more odd consoles then. thanks

mesk
@ the arcade
Send PM

#288332 - 05/31/12 02:28 AM

Rare Atari emulators? Stella is up to date,kat5200 is orety up to date and emu7800 is also up to date.

For Vectrex just use parajve

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

About Xebra new [Re: mesk]
#288336 - 05/31/12 04:09 AM Attachment: wD8As.png 26 KB (0 downloads)

> Also for PSone,as good as pSX is,you may want to give xebra a try,as it plays the
> games that pSX doesnt

Xebra does that but it's a bit unconventional at least by western standards, it's not obvious how to use it. pSX is a lot more user friendly.

I have this in a txt document in my Xebra folder, don't remember where I got it from:

1) Select File -> Open -> OS ROM Image...

2) Open your BIOS image

3) Select File -> Open -> CD ROM via SPTI...

4) Open any file on the CD

5) Select Run -> Run2 (1-pass)

After a short while the game starts

Steps 1) and 2) are only required on first use.

On some game CDs the files are invisible - make an ISO of the game CD.

3a) Select File -> Open -> CD ROM Image...

4a) Open your image

How to download the emulator is not obvious either - scroll down and click the screenshot at the bottom of the page: http://drhell.web.fc2.com/ps1/

It's been a while but I believe the "Arbex" executable is Xebra but with a HLE'd BIOS or something.

Attached a screenshot from a post over on NGEMU explaining how to set up your controller.

Hope this helps

S

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

mesk
@ the arcade
Send PM

Re: About Xebra new [Re: Sune]
#288338 - 05/31/12 04:59 AM

Yea I probably should have mentioned that about Xebra,thank you Sune.

Like I said I usually use pSX but about 8 or so months ago I decided to revisit the Legacy of Kain series and pSX does not play Blood Omen and I couldnt get the PC version of BO to work either so I gave Xebra a try and after finding some thread about setting it up I was good to go.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: About Xebra new [Re: mesk]
#288339 - 05/31/12 05:11 AM

> Yea I probably should have mentioned that about Xebra,thank you Sune.
>
> Like I said I usually use pSX but about 8 or so months ago I decided to revisit the
> Legacy of Kain series and pSX does not play Blood Omen.

pSX does not go well with the Resident Evil series either (sound issues). I think Silent Hill too, but I can't exactly remember why I stopped playing it on pSX.

XEBRA might be closed source, unfriendly and also unable to tell how accurate it is. However and judging by compatibility and the wall of info at XEBRA's homepage, it seems like the author at least tries to measure the hardware in high detail.

Now if only emulators could along well with rumble support, they would be perfect... I think I need to buy a PS3.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Should I use Mess as my main console emulator ? new [Re: mesk]
#288375 - 05/31/12 04:58 PM

> Rare Atari emulators? Stella is up to date,kat5200 is orety up to date and emu7800 is
> also up to date.
>
> For Vectrex just use parajve

*shakes head in disgust*

Please change your user tag. "MESS fan"? Really?!

mesk
@ the arcade
Send PM

Re: About Xebra new [Re: BIOS-D]
#288379 - 05/31/12 06:04 PM

May as well hold off until the holidays,with the 360 price drop forthcoming,Vita,and the Wii U,the PS3 surely has to drop to the $200 range.

On a side note Xebra does run the RE series well.Silent Hill too
Now if it were only frontend friendly....

mesk
@ the arcade
Send PM

Re: Should I use Mess as my main console emulator ? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#288486 - 06/02/12 12:35 AM

No reason to change it.I am a MESS fan,and I eagerly await the day I can replace all the stand alone emulators with MESS.However,I have some issues with some of the systems MESS emulates,and please dont think these are complaints,because they are not.

For Atari-2600 is ok,but 5200 I cant play Joust,considering there only what about 59 or so official 5200 games Joust is a biggie.

7800-no Tower Toppler

NES-no cheats,not a big deal to some,but alot of people do want to cheat.

SNES-no cheats

Intellivision-does Intellivoice work on MESS?

I use MESS for Coleco,Astrocade,Channel F,TG-16,MSX,MSX2,Genesis,Adventurevision,C64.And when not cheating in a Nintendo console game I use MESS for that too.I recommend MESS to all the people my friend and I build cabs for.A MESS fan I am

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: Should I use Mess as my main console emulator ? new [Re: mesk]
#288487 - 06/02/12 01:46 AM

> For Atari-2600 is ok,but 5200 I cant play Joust,considering there only what about 59
> or so official 5200 games Joust is a biggie.

Just fire up a800 (Atari 800) and use Joust from the software list there. That works for me. AFAIK there are still a couple mappers that aren't sorted correctly for Atari 5200. Internally, the 5200 and 800 are virtually identical hardware.

> 7800-no Tower Toppler

This one is playable, just make sure your LEFT difficulty switch is set to B, RIGHT to A (under DIP SWITCHES). Switching RIGHT to B enables level select.

> NES-no cheats,not a big deal to some,but alot of people do want to cheat.

I wouldn't be too hard to take game genie codes and convert to actual addresses which can be used via MAME/MESS's -cheat function. If I had time I could probably whip up a decent sized files rather quickly based on other databases - the fun part is matching it to the setnames and/or crc's of the games you are running.

> SNES-no cheats

Same idea. Some enterprising soul could do this but there is little motivation currently when bsnes seems to cover it quite well.

> Intellivision-does Intellivoice work on MESS?

Yes. INTV is one of the most fully emulated consoles in MESS.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Should I use Mess as my main console emulator ? new [Re: Tafoid]
#288490 - 06/02/12 02:56 AM

Instead of creating all the cheat stuff from scratch could MESS someday actually emulate the game genie itself so people could use codes already known and already posted on the net?

Load the game genie cart or whatever people used on real consoles depending on the system as a slot or something?

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

#288495 - 06/02/12 03:54 AM

It's already possible with some NES emulators, and there's a known-good Game Genie image going around. It'd just be a matter of implementing it in MESS.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/15/07
Send PM

#288511 - 06/02/12 11:46 AM

> Instead of creating all the cheat stuff from scratch could MESS someday actually
> emulate the game genie itself so people could use codes already known and already
> posted on the net?
>
> Load the game genie cart or whatever people used on real consoles depending on the
> system as a slot or something?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That is a FANTASTIC idea!

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#288515 - 06/02/12 12:46 PM

> Instead of creating all the cheat stuff from scratch could MESS someday actually
> emulate the game genie itself so people could use codes already known and already
> posted on the net?
>
> Load the game genie cart or whatever people used on real consoles depending on the
> system as a slot or something?

There's nothing stopping anyone from converting existing emulator cheats to the XML format... Unless of course XML cheats are broken in MESS (the last time I made MESS cheats was in the cheat.dat era).

Kano11
MAME Fan
Send PM

Is MESS stricked on rom names ? new [Re: Kano11]
#288552 - 06/03/12 01:10 AM

It's easy to get a pack roms on the net and the roms are often labeled differently. So for example say you have Final fight rom for snes does it need to be named in a certain way for mess to see it and play it ?

Second question:

Does mess need bios or certain images to be able to run certain consoles and it's games ? Like in mame you need the neogeo bios to run the neogeo game. I'm hoping it don't need some offical TOSEC set or something like that.

Just to be clear I'm not asking where or how to get any roms/images.

thanks

Edited by Kano11 (06/03/12 01:15 AM)

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: Is MESS stricked on rom names ? new [Re: Kano11]
#288553 - 06/03/12 01:43 AM

> It's easy to get a pack roms on the net and the roms are often labeled differently.
> So for example say you have Final fight rom for snes does it need to be named in a
> certain way for mess to see it and play it ?

MESS can take any filename you have provided it matches a supported extention for that system, typically like this:
mess nes -cart "LOCATION\FOR\THE\GAME\Legend of Zelda, The (USA).zip"

If you use built in softlists, you can do the same thing easier and more like MAME operates - but the image.zip must match the setname expected and the rompath must be set:
mess nes zeldau

> Second question:
>
> Does mess need bios or certain images to be able to run certain consoles and it's
> games ? Like in mame you need the neogeo bios to run the neogeo game. I'm hoping it
> don't need some offical TOSEC set or something like that.
>

Most systems require the internal roms to be set up just as if they were MAME roms - snes.zip for anything the SNES system needs, etc. Like MAME, they are named after the shortname (setname) that is expected to run it. Just like MAME, MESS will tell you if you are missing any roms to operate your desired system.

Kano11
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Is MESS stricked on rom names ? new [Re: Tafoid]
#288564 - 06/03/12 04:44 AM

ok thanks, I'm good now.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 507 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4720