Pages: 1

DrArcade
AKA Mr. CAST
Reged: 03/27/12
Loc: Latin America
Send PM

Credit Card fraud.. :(
#287955 - 05/27/12 01:59 AM

Took the wife to lunch today.. The bill comes, it's only $14.00 for the both of us. I go to pay with my MasterCard as I get points for free stuff in their virtual mall.

The waitress brings back my card "DECLINED".

Very odd, as I carry a ZERO balance on all my CC's.

I paid with AMX, and while waiting for the receipt, I call the bank that the MasterCard is issued from and the customer service rep tells me the charges I made for $46,659.86 from Volagratis.com for tickets from CAI to MXP have put me over my limit by ~$1,600.00 and would likely affect my credit rating if I didn't "FIX" this soon.

I just chuckled and hung up the phone, and let the wife deal with it later. No sense in me blowing a blood vessel over the ignorance of the customer service rep.

Here's the best part, over a period of 7 days, they charged more than 50 different tickets (all the same airport codes). My mastercard charges $10.00 for each chargeback that is issued, and I'm responsible for the 1st $50.00 of each charge. so I'm out $3,000.00 (($50.00*50)+($10x50)). I'll be making a personal visit to the bank on monday to inquire why their fraud department didn't catch these, and to bitch about the fees. And obviously cancel my affiliation with them if they don't rectify the situation in full.

I have a feeling someone cloned my card while I was travelling, as I don't use this particular card for any internet purchases.

Mr. CAST

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: Credit Card fraud.. :( new [Re: DrArcade]
#287958 - 05/27/12 02:16 AM

> Took the wife to lunch today.. The bill comes, it's only $14.00 for the both of us. I
> go to pay with my MasterCard as I get points for free stuff in their virtual mall.
>
> The waitress brings back my card "DECLINED".
>
> Very odd, as I carry a ZERO balance on all my CC's.
>
> I paid with AMX, and while waiting for the receipt, I call the bank that the
> MasterCard is issued from and the customer service rep tells me the charges I made
> for $46,659.86 from Volagratis.com for tickets from CAI to MXP have put me over my
> limit by ~$1,600.00 and would likely affect my credit rating if I didn't "FIX" this
> soon.
>
> I just chuckled and hung up the phone, and let the wife deal with it later. No sense
> in me blowing a blood vessel over the ignorance of the customer service rep.
>
> Here's the best part, over a period of 7 days, they charged more than 50 different
> tickets (all the same airport codes). My mastercard charges $10.00 for each
> chargeback that is issued, and I'm responsible for the 1st $50.00 of each charge. so
> I'm out $3,000.00 (($50.00*50)+($10x50)). I'll be making a personal visit to the bank
> on monday to inquire why their fraud department didn't catch these, and to bitch
> about the fees. And obviously cancel my affiliation with them if they don't rectify
> the situation in full.
>
> I have a feeling someone cloned my card while I was travelling, as I don't use this
> particular card for any internet purchases.
>
> Mr. CAST

Swipe readers are being retrofitted with phony covers at an astounding rate. Most of the ones I've seen are pretty obvious, but a few are done so well that they'd fool me.... and counterfeit detection is part of my job...

DrArcade
AKA Mr. CAST
Send PM

Re: Credit Card fraud.. :( new [Re: italie]
#288030 - 05/27/12 08:11 PM

> Swipe readers are being retrofitted with phony covers at an astounding rate. Most of
> the ones I've seen are pretty obvious, but a few are done so well that they'd fool
> me.... and counterfeit detection is part of my job...

It was either cloned, or part of a security breach at the issuer. In all my years I've never been a victim of fraud like this. The occasional double charge or something like that, but never anything like this.

Spent the morning looking for and finding the original contract for when I got the credit card so I can be better prepared for when I go to the bank.

Mr. CAST

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Credit Card fraud.. :( new [Re: DrArcade]
#288031 - 05/27/12 08:15 PM

My number was stolen a couple of weeks ago. I caught it right after their first attempt before it even posted and reported it etc. Didn't lose any money, just a big hassle. If you don't have protection against that stuff then I don't know why you signed up with them?

DrArcade
AKA Mr. CAST
Send PM

Re: Credit Card fraud.. :( new [Re: Smitdogg]
#288032 - 05/27/12 08:21 PM

Well it has protection sort of. I'm not out the entire amount (Not like I'd pay it even if there was no protection).
But the according to the cs rep, is that there is a $10 per dispute bank fee, and a max $50.00 out of pocket fee per dispute (if not caught within 24 hours).

I guess normally that wouldn't be bad at all, But considering they charge 50+ charges on the card in a week period and the banks fraud department didn't even call me, is the sour part of all this. I'm hoping they are reasonable and see how retarded their policy is when I meet with them tomorrow.

Most foreign issued VISA/MC/AMX have less protection that US based credit cards.

Mr. CAST

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 350 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1230