MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

lionelrit
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/17/10
Send PM

text box in capcom games
#285827 - 05/10/12 06:20 AM Attachment: 0000.png 206 KB (3 downloads)

in some capcom games like strider and black tiger, when the text appears between levels, the screen behind the text looks like a grey box. should it be black? im doing it wrong, its a bug or the games were like that?
im using the default mame exe from mamedev.
look at the grey box in the white text in this screenshot for an example.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

Re: text box in capcom games new [Re: lionelrit]
#285831 - 05/10/12 07:04 AM

Mmm. Looks black to me. Bet your gamma is set too high. You probably need to recalibrate your monitor.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

lionelrit
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: text box in capcom games new [Re: Firehawke]
#285832 - 05/10/12 07:17 AM

guess its just a thing the original game does, like in the strider final boss with the grey boxes in the scenario
actually turning brightness down it mixes with the black and becomes invisible.

Edited by lionelrit (05/10/12 07:25 AM)

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Send PM

Re: text box in capcom games new [Re: lionelrit]
#285833 - 05/10/12 07:22 AM

Your video card IS doing gamma correction. The screenshot you posted shows R17G17B17 for the background. Therefore MAME is displaying a dark dark grey so close as to be black.

If you're seeing anything bright enough to be noticibly different, it's because you need to change your video card settings and recalibrate.

---

lionelrit
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: text box in capcom games new [Re: Firehawke]
#285834 - 05/10/12 07:26 AM

yes, it was, i hadnt noticed. lml

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

No, no. Set it in MAME.... new [Re: Firehawke]
#285835 - 05/10/12 07:55 AM

> Mmm. Looks black to me. Bet your gamma is set too high. You probably need to
> recalibrate your monitor.

There are a number of CAPCOM games where this appears. Just press the tilde key (to the left of number 1 key on your keyboard), then go into... See my reply to this post.

Sorry, I don't have MAME on this computer so I can't tell you exactly what to do here. I'll get back home in another 7 or 8 hours. I have some games with a few setting changed from their default so that these 'gray areas' are darkened out.

But if anyone else wants to chime in before I get back then go ahead.

Edited by Tom Braider (05/10/12 03:37 PM)

LEVEL-4

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Send PM

Re: No, no. Set it in MAME.... new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#285836 - 05/10/12 08:01 AM

Shouldn't change it in MAME, because if he hasn't touched anything in MAME and it's appearing with incorrect gamma in MAME, it's clearly affecting more than just MAME.

---

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Ah, because of the screenshot he posted... Wait, (edit) new [Re: Firehawke]
#285839 - 05/10/12 08:27 AM

> Shouldn't change it in MAME, because if he hasn't touched anything in MAME and it's
> appearing with incorrect gamma in MAME, it's clearly affecting more than just MAME.

*^was a suggestion in case he wasn't aware*

I tilted my screen, now I see the gray box. So, to me, that means he has NOT made any adjustments in MAME. Monitor settings shouldn't have any effect.

Unless I'm not understanding what's going on here.

edit2: Well, I can guess that both of us are being presumptuous without knowing all the facts.

Edited by Tom Braider (05/10/12 08:33 AM)

LEVEL-4

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Send PM

Re: Ah, because of the screenshot he posted... Wait, (edit) new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#285841 - 05/10/12 09:23 AM

MAME screenshots are of the raw game image as it is sent to the video card, minus any adjustments done to it from inside MAME (such as HLSL), right?

I opened that image up in an image editor, and used that to actually pull the real value of those pixels as noted in my original response. That would be HTML color code #111111.

There's a certain amount of 'play' in the calibration of arcade monitors, to be fair, but even then I can't really see #111111 as normally coming up as a noticible grey against #000000 black.

So I'd believe that the game was originally designed to smooth that out at the monitor end, and if it's actually noticible on PC I'd say that's a sign of miscalibration on the PC colors.

Does that make more sense?

Edit: I think it comes down to the idea we disagree on the solution. I think that repairing the gamma in MAME itself is wallpapering a miscalibration of the monitor in general.. unless, of course, one of the MAME devs comes in here to say that there's actually a good reason for MAME's colors to be off at a noticable level while the desktop/other D3D apps are fine.

Edited by Firehawke (05/10/12 09:27 AM)

---

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: No, no. Set it in MAME.... new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#285860 - 05/10/12 03:35 PM

Press TAB, select Slider Controls, (the following are the settings that I use, you may find something else works better)....

Screen Brightness 0.930
Screen Contrast 1.150
Screen Gamma 0.850

That is for Street Fighter II Champion Edition

For Black Tiger...

Screen Brightness 0.960
Screen Contrast 0.950
Screen Gamma 0.800

These aren't set to anything specific, just whatever looks closest or best.

LEVEL-4

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Ah, because of the screenshot he posted... Wait, (edit) new [Re: Firehawke]
#285865 - 05/10/12 05:12 PM

> Edit: I think it comes down to the idea we disagree on the solution. I think that
> repairing the gamma in MAME itself is wallpapering a miscalibration of the monitor in
> general.

I totally agree. If #111111 dark grey is visible on a monitor, the brightness/contrast are probably pretty horribly overdriven. Certainly on a CRT you'd be hard pressed to notice it.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Send PM

Re: Ah, because of the screenshot he posted... Wait, (edit) new [Re: R. Belmont]
#285875 - 05/10/12 09:17 PM

Phew. I was actually starting to doubt my logic for a bit there, wondering if I was completely off track!

---

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

#285929 - 05/11/12 05:17 AM

> Phew. I was actually starting to doubt my logic for a bit there, wondering if I was
> completely off track!

The question remains - has the OP changed those settings in MAME (even, yet)?

If my memory serves me correct - I once took a screenshot (F12) in MAME for Magic Sword with the slider controls adjusted to minimize or possibly remove the gray area in the opening demo/intro where the sword scrolls across the screen. So if the settings in MAME are changed - a screen shot should reflect this. No?

Unless the OP used 'Printscreen' instead of F12 (I haven't used artwork in MAME in forever, so not sure how it should behave)... no, it would be much bigger if he did.

I guess it makes no diff at this point.... not until the OP gets back and replies.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Send PM

Re: Ah, because of the screenshot he posted... Wait, (edit) new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#285933 - 05/11/12 05:39 AM

Yep. We just need him to pop back on and try out a proposed solution.

lionelrit
MAME Fan
Send PM

#287409 - 05/23/12 01:19 AM

When I turn down the contrast or brightness in the monitor (LCD) the box still appears. If I turn the constrast or brightness or gamma to 0.9 in mame the boxes go normal black and disappear. Tried changing gamma and brightness in the video board settings too but the box still appears if I turn gamma down in the video settings (a gforce gtx560 in a desktop and a onboard radeon in a notebook).

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: Ah, because of the screenshot he posted... Wait, (edit) new [Re: lionelrit]
#287495 - 05/23/12 05:40 PM

> When I turn down the contrast or brightness in the monitor (LCD) the box still
> appears. If I turn the constrast or brightness or gamma to 0.9 in mame the boxes go
> normal black and disappear.
Tried changing gamma and brightness in the video board
> settings too but the box still appears if I turn gamma down in the video settings (a
> gforce gtx560 in a desktop and a onboard radeon in a notebook).

So.... I was right?

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Send PM

My final word on this, really. new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#287502 - 05/23/12 06:57 PM

Just tested it over here, and it's black on this display.

After talking this out, I'm pretty sure it's a 50-50 type of thing. Many arcade monitors DID show it, though none of the ones I've seen were noticible in that regard.

If it really bothers you, adjust gamma through MAME to minimize or remove it, like stated by the other guy.

I still believe it wouldn't hurt to calibrate your monitor, though.

Edited by Firehawke (05/23/12 07:14 PM)

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Ah, because of the screenshot he posted... Wait, (edit) new [Re: lionelrit]
#287654 - 05/24/12 10:12 AM

> When I turn down the contrast or brightness in the monitor (LCD) the box still
> appears.

Most LCD's have very poor colour resolution. When converted to the LCD's colour space it probably comes out black and so the monitor changes it to grey so it's visible, because the original colour is not black.

lionelrit
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: My final word on this, really. new [Re: Firehawke]
#287752 - 05/25/12 12:38 AM

Ok, did calibration, but this didnt solve the problem and it´s happening in more then one monitor (but all LCD).
Since turning brightness in mame do 0.9 solves the problem and the problem doesnt appear anywhere else I will just do this

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 488 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2247