Pages: 1

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

Donkey Kong
#284528 - 05/01/12 05:58 AM

Which board (Romset)do Billy Mitchell and Steve Wiebe use to set the world records in Donkey Kong. I know they use real PCB arcade boards but which one would it be in mame?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Donkey Kong new [Re: joey35car]
#284533 - 05/01/12 06:24 AM

They probably don't even pay attention to revisions. There isn't a certain one used in tournaments, not that I've heard of. The only times I've seen that done is with Capcom fighters and tournaments in Japan specifically using Japan region roms. Sometimes when I send board sellers questions about them they think I'm crazy for caring. I recall one guy responding with "wow I've never met anyone before who collects revisions before". Some people don't even know they exist.

The funny thing about the early Nintendo games is last I checked Twin Galaxies would only accept hiscores from boards with Nintendo rom labels. But they didn't cover the windows. So you wouldn't even have to peel them off and replace them to cheat. You could hack the roms and reprogram them with the stickers not having to move at all. Anyway I highly doubt they stick to one. It's probably possible to get in touch with one of them directly to ask though. Maybe they are on twitter or something.

joey35car
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Donkey Kong new [Re: Smitdogg]
#284536 - 05/01/12 06:37 AM

> They probably don't even pay attention to revisions. There isn't a certain one used
> in tournaments, not that I've heard of. The only times I've seen that done is with
> Capcom fighters and tournaments in Japan specifically using Japan region roms.
> Sometimes when I send board sellers questions about them they think I'm crazy for
> caring. I recall one guy responding with "wow I've never met anyone before who
> collects revisions before". Some people don't even know they exist.
>
> The funny thing about the early Nintendo games is last I checked Twin Galaxies would
> only accept hiscores from boards with Nintendo rom labels. But they didn't cover the
> windows. So you wouldn't even have to peel them off and replace them to cheat. You
> could hack the roms and reprogram them with the stickers not having to move at all.
> Anyway I highly doubt they stick to one. It's probably possible to get in touch with
> one of them directly to ask though. Maybe they are on twitter or something.

Thank you for the info. I was just curious because I was watching an old video of Steve Wiebe when it was taped live (G4)a few years back trying to break the world record and I seen him jumping next to Donkey Kong on the rivet screen racking up 100 points and I remember doing that as a kid but can't seem to make it work in mame.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#284538 - 05/01/12 06:41 AM

It could very well be an undumped revision. The old Nintendo games are difficult to sort out. They often used a red stamp (letter and sometimes letter and number) for revisions and regions which sometimes faded off completely and people don't think to check them and the boards are too expensive to just buy them up to check. Some I've bought and have ended up matching dumped sets even when having a different stamp. So it's a really expensive crapshoot basically.

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

#284540 - 05/01/12 06:47 AM

I think it happens on any set. However, the technique must be correct. It's not how close you are to Kong. I heard that years ago, it's bullshit. It is really simple, though:

- get between roof post (the roof over Kong) and Kong.

- jump

- press either direction at the middle of the jump (you probably want to press away in case you miss the timing; no reason to run into Kong learning the maneuver).

This works on either side of Kong.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

joey35car
MAME Fan
Send PM

#284541 - 05/01/12 06:47 AM

> It could very well be an undumped revision. The old Nintendo games are difficult to
> sort out. They often used a red stamp (letter and sometimes letter and number) for
> revisions and regions which sometimes faded off completely and people don't think to
> check them and the boards are too expensive to just buy them up to check. Some I've
> bought and have ended up matching dumped sets even when having a different stamp. So
> it's a really expensive crapshoot basically.

So I would assume that would be the offical boards they go by? I know twin galaxies rejected his record before because it wasn't the right board.

http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com/2011/12/donkey-kong-world-record-history.html

Edited by joey35car (05/01/12 06:49 AM)

joey35car
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Donkey Kong new [Re: mogli]
#284543 - 05/01/12 06:50 AM

> I think it happens on any set. However, the technique must be correct. It's not how
> close you are to Kong. I heard that years ago, it's bullshit. It is really simple,
> though:
>
> - get between roof post (the roof over Kong) and Kong.
>
> - jump
>
> - press either direction at the middle of the jump (you probably want to press away
> in case you miss the timing; no reason to run into Kong learning the maneuver).
>
>
> This works on either side of Kong.

OK I remember that now I will have to try thank you

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#284545 - 05/01/12 06:58 AM

Double Donkey Kong is an unofficial hack afaik. I think mikesarcade sells the kits. There is no assurance that game code wasn't modified when it was made which I'm sure is why it was rejected. Or if the kit adds more ram or something, might make it run .00001 differently, who knows. What I'm saying though is unless they dump the roms and check the crcs, I could literally walk into Twin Galaxies with a hacked board and they wouldn't know. The roms don't have labels over the windows so you could erase them with UV light and reprogram them to a hacked, easier version and the board wouldn't change physically. I doubt Walter walks around with an eprom programmer but maybe they have done some upgrades since I last checked.

joey35car
MAME Fan
Send PM

#284546 - 05/01/12 07:17 AM

> I think it happens on any set. However, the technique must be correct. It's not how
> close you are to Kong. I heard that years ago, it's bullshit. It is really simple,
> though:
>
> - get between roof post (the roof over Kong) and Kong.
>
> - jump
>
> - press either direction at the middle of the jump (you probably want to press away
> in case you miss the timing; no reason to run into Kong learning the maneuver).
>
>
> This works on either side of Kong.

Well I tried using the (us set 1) rom which looks like the one he used because of the order of the levels but couldn't do the trick. Was wondering if anybody can achieve this on mame?

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#284563 - 05/01/12 12:02 PM

> Well I tried using the (us set 1) rom which looks like the one he used because of the
> order of the levels but couldn't do the trick. Was wondering if anybody can achieve
> this on mame?

Easily done. Stand almost on top of Kong's toe... jump, hit joystick or keyboard arrow away from Kong just after the jump. It's all in the timing.

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

Re: Donkey Kong new [Re: redk9258]
#284577 - 05/01/12 04:23 PM

The jumping-next-to-Kong trick works as described but I initially discovered it to work if you are 1 pixel away from death/collision and just jump straight up. If you are able to position yourself this perfectly, there's no need to hit the joystick on each jump.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#284580 - 05/01/12 04:42 PM

Yeah. Like I've said before, they make a big deal in the movie about having Nintendo verify the board, but I seriously doubt anyone at Nintendo actually cares (or even knows how). They're probably just sending it back with an "OK" note to be polite.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Donkey Kong new [Re: R. Belmont]
#284581 - 05/01/12 04:53 PM

> Yeah. Like I've said before, they make a big deal in the movie about having Nintendo
> verify the board, but I seriously doubt anyone at Nintendo actually cares (or even
> knows how). They're probably just sending it back with an "OK" note to be polite.

That would have made for a hilarious cutaway in the movie, a bunch of twenty-something Japanese game developers standing around this dusty old board scratching their heads.

greybeard
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/27/10
Send PM

Re: Donkey Kong new [Re: yaggy]
#284582 - 05/01/12 04:57 PM

Yeah, you can rack up some points doing the jump straight up trick. Its fun.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Donkey Kong new [Re: R. Belmont]
#284585 - 05/01/12 05:31 PM

> but I seriously doubt anyone at Nintendo actually cares (or even
> knows how). They're probably just sending it back with an "OK" note to be polite.

It's possible that someone dumped the roms and mame -romident'd them, if they could be bothered.

joey35car
MAME Fan
Send PM

#284590 - 05/01/12 07:18 PM

> > Well I tried using the (us set 1) rom which looks like the one he used because of
> the
> > order of the levels but couldn't do the trick. Was wondering if anybody can achieve
> > this on mame?
>
>
> Easily done. Stand almost on top of Kong's toe... jump, hit joystick or keyboard
> arrow away from Kong just after the jump. It's all in the timing.

Yes it worked I wasn't close enough to Kong. Thanks

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Donkey Kong new [Re: DMala]
#284602 - 05/01/12 11:09 PM

> That would have made for a hilarious cutaway in the movie, a bunch of
> twenty-something Japanese game developers standing around this dusty old board
> scratching their heads.

That's the other thing - they said they sent it to Nintendo of America in Redmond, which AFAIK is just a marketing/sales organization for the most part.

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

#284827 - 05/04/12 02:04 AM

Like I said, it works for me, just as I stated, on any machine or MAME rig (and version) I've played.

It might work standing really close to Kong, but it's so fuckin easier being a bit away and moving the stick.

I mean, if someone can't do that ridiculously simple combination (I'm not a fighter player, mind), I don't know why they're playing the game.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

greybeard
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/27/10
Send PM

#284834 - 05/04/12 03:00 AM

If you get the hang of getting close enough to be able to jump straight up and not moving you can score more points jumping his foot than you lose on the timer.

If you're able to keep all the fireballs on the other side and the peg beside him is the last one to clear the stage, you can score some decent points doing it.

Granted I'm not in a class of gamers like those who competed for the world record, but to some gamers like that every chance you get to make extra points count.

Although I think IIRC that to some its considered "cheating" to jump DKs foot?

I just play the game myself, and I'm perverted, I prefer Crazy Kong Orca! and someday I'll own that PCB!

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

Re: Donkey Kong new [Re: greybeard]
#284837 - 05/04/12 03:14 AM

I also like Crazy Kong

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Donkey Kong new [Re: greybeard]
#284877 - 05/04/12 10:29 AM

> If you get the hang of getting close enough to be able to jump straight up and not moving you can score more points jumping his foot than you lose on the timer.
>
> If you're able to keep all the fireballs on the other side and the peg beside him is the last one to clear.

Many times I've 'coralled' the firefoxes on one side. First did it by accident. Again, being close to DK has nothing to do with jump speed. That's solely your button press timing. Anyways, here's a vid of the technique.

The Culture

joey35car
MAME Fan
Send PM

#284895 - 05/04/12 04:41 PM

> Like I said, it works for me, just as I stated, on any machine or MAME rig (and
> version) I've played.
>
> It might work standing really close to Kong, but it's so fuckin easier being a bit
> away and moving the stick.
>
> I mean, if someone can't do that ridiculously simple combination (I'm not a fighter
> player, mind), I don't know why they're playing the game.

I said it works in the post before

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/15/07
Send PM

#284924 - 05/04/12 07:38 PM

I really really REALLY would love to see Steve Weibe broadcast a high quality stream of him playing Donkey Kong on Twitch.TV someday. That would be so awesome. Or perhaps a replay file at TG!!

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Donkey Kong new [Re: Outrun2006]
#284925 - 05/04/12 07:40 PM

> I really really REALLY would love to see Steve Weibe broadcast a high quality stream
> of him playing Donkey Kong on Twitch.TV someday. That would be so awesome. Or perhaps
> a replay file at TG!!

AFAIK his last record attempt was live-streamed. There doesn't seem to be a recording available though.

joey35car
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Donkey Kong new [Re: Outrun2006]
#284928 - 05/04/12 08:01 PM

> I really really REALLY would love to see Steve Weibe broadcast a high quality stream
> of him playing Donkey Kong on Twitch.TV someday. That would be so awesome. Or perhaps
> a replay file at TG!!

Not high quality but good enough

http://www.twitch.tv/g4tv_wiebecam/b/258950558

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/15/07
Send PM

#285024 - 05/05/12 12:13 PM

> > I really really REALLY would love to see Steve Weibe broadcast a high quality
> stream
> > of him playing Donkey Kong on Twitch.TV someday. That would be so awesome. Or
> perhaps
> > a replay file at TG!!
>
> Not high quality but good enough
>
> http://www.twitch.tv/g4tv_wiebecam/b/258950558

Good lookin' ma nickle.

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Reged: 10/13/10
Loc: N.J.
Send PM

#285425 - 05/07/12 10:55 PM

A little birdy told me revision 1.Dont quote me on that though as the little birdy sometimes flies away very high.

I’m convinced Mario is a hobo.
He wakes up everyday in the same clothes, runs around in sewers, and collects coins for a living.
At the end of the day, he uses the coins to buy mushrooms

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Donkey Kong new [Re: jumpmaniac81]
#285432 - 05/07/12 11:10 PM

> A little birdy told me revision 1.Dont quote me on that though as the little birdy
> sometimes flies away very high.

There are only two (US sets). I have a feeling set 1 was extraordinarily more common than set 2. Not that they're any different in my [MAME] experience.

(Of course, dkongj is way different.)

The Culture

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Reged: 10/13/10
Loc: N.J.
Send PM

#285434 - 05/07/12 11:15 PM

I though set 2 had bug fixes like the barrel roll under the ladder thing.

I’m convinced Mario is a hobo.
He wakes up everyday in the same clothes, runs around in sewers, and collects coins for a living.
At the end of the day, he uses the coins to buy mushrooms

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#285459 - 05/08/12 12:22 AM

In the original US DK, you could climb a ladder and put Mario's hand on the girder. Barrels would then roll on by instead of on you.

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

#285594 - 05/08/12 10:22 PM

> In the original US DK, you could climb a ladder and put Mario's hand on the girder.
> Barrels would then roll on by instead of on you.

I forget about this, and don't rely on it. Barring a weird game, wherein level 1 seems like it's in demon mode, I find girders to be fairly easy. I regularly make it to at least the third springies.

The Culture

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#285600 - 05/08/12 10:35 PM

> I though set 2 had bug fixes like the barrel roll under the ladder thing.

Unless there is no way to tell, the most recent version tends to be the parent set.

S

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 393 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3209