MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Why is MAME crashing with new Nvidia drivers?
#281669 - 04/06/12 07:10 AM

This issue keeps coming up over and over again, in multiple forums...
http://gaming.stackexchange.com/question...-mame-emulator/

The combination of recent versions of MAME, with certain Nvidia graphics cards, and the latest Nvidia drivers results in blue screens and reboots when you try to run MAME.

At first, I was pointing the finger of blame at Nvidia, but I've become curious as to exactly which version of MAME this started in. Is it possible that MAME code is doing something wrong with D3D that's causing the crashes?

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Why is MAME crashing with new Nvidia drivers? new [Re: krick]
#281674 - 04/06/12 07:47 AM

> Is it possible that MAME code is doing
> something wrong with D3D that's causing the crashes?

Anything is possible and I'm no mameDEV by any means, but I have run many different versions of MAME on 4 different PCs plus a laptop and have never encountered APPCRASH ever.

Geforce 6 series, Are you kidding me? seriously?

If it was a problem with the MAME code then more reports of this happening would surely surface, but it seems to be a rare occurrence or happen to just a small percentage of people.

I'm betting that it's a combination of the following.

- legacy hardware
- outdated and X86 O/S
- user doesn't know how to properly maintain their computer
- faulty hardware and instabilities with system
- etc. etc. etc.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#281675 - 04/06/12 07:48 AM

> This issue keeps coming up over and over again, in multiple forums...
> http://gaming.stackexchange.com/question...-mame-emulator/
>
> The combination of recent versions of MAME, with certain Nvidia graphics cards, and
> the latest Nvidia drivers results in blue screens and reboots when you try to run
> MAME.
>
> At first, I was pointing the finger of blame at Nvidia, but I've become curious as to
> exactly which version of MAME this started in. Is it possible that MAME code is doing

Honestly, it seems like NVIDIA manages to destabilize their drivers every third release or so. I think it's a combination of short release cycles, maximizing performance in the latest and greatest games, and focusing most of their testing on newer hardware. If you've got older hardware, or you're running anything other than mainstream games, you're more likely to run into issues. MAME is probably fairly unique in that it actually puts a fair amount of stress on the video card, and it's likely not something that gets tested very much in-house at NVIDIA.

My GT260 was doing the same kind of thing 3-4 releases ago, without even having MAME in the equation. A couple of updates later, the problem was apparently fixed.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#281693 - 04/06/12 02:41 PM

This is Nvidia's fault all the way. It generally happens with older cards on the latest drivers, which isn't entirely surprising given the wide range of hardware NV now has to support from one codebase. More to the point, reverting MAME versions has no effect, while reverting the Nvidia drivers always does.

> At first, I was pointing the finger of blame at Nvidia, but I've become curious as to
> exactly which version of MAME this started in. Is it possible that MAME code is doing

As per my devquote, MAME is about as close to a reference D3D app as you're going to get. With HLSL off it uses a hilariously tiny amount of the resources of any GPU made in the last 5 years - during normal gameplay without artwork it draws 2 triangles at 60 frames per second. 2. If that's crashing your graphics drivers, they have problems MAMEdev can't help you with

MAMu_
Icon Master
Reged: 01/06/04
Send PM

Re: Why is MAME crashing with new Nvidia drivers? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#281694 - 04/06/12 02:44 PM

> This is Nvidia's fault all the way. It generally happens with older cards on the
> latest drivers, which isn't entirely surprising given the wide range of hardware NV
> now has to support from one codebase. More to the point, reverting MAME versions has
> no effect, while reverting the Nvidia drivers always does.
>
> > At first, I was pointing the finger of blame at Nvidia, but I've become curious as
> to
> > exactly which version of MAME this started in. Is it possible that MAME code is
> doing
> > something wrong with D3D that's causing the crashes?
>
> As per my devquote, MAME is about as close to a reference D3D app as you're going to
> get. With HLSL off it uses a hilariously tiny amount of the resources of any GPU made
> in the last 5 years - during normal gameplay without artwork it draws 2 triangles at
> 60 frames per second. 2. If that's crashing your graphics drivers, they have problems
> MAMEdev can't help you with

Fuck MAMEWORLD forum ^^ Always looking for the "I like" button...
Too much facebook abuse kills facebook ^^

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Don't use 296.10 driver. There is a bug in it. Rush out release without fully tested. new [Re: krick]
#281765 - 04/07/12 12:37 PM

Won't notice this until screen freezes with rainbows or glitches or what ever.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

VirtuaIceMan
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/22/07
Send PM

#281796 - 04/07/12 10:46 PM

MAME always bluescreens unless I have HLSL enabled on my old P4 with XP and 7800 card. Although HLSL does nothing as my card's too old. It's bit weird.

ReadOnly
MESSfan
Reged: 10/24/10
Loc: Paris La Défense
Send PM

Re: Why is MAME crashing with new Nvidia drivers? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#281799 - 04/07/12 11:31 PM

I entirely agree with arbee there

do one of the following

1. use older driver
2. ask nvidia to fix
3. go for amd /trolling

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Why is MAME crashing with new Nvidia drivers? new [Re: B2K24]
#281806 - 04/08/12 12:46 AM

I had the same problem on my Asus laptop. It has a 8400 and Mame would just bomb out every time on stock drivers

I also have custom graphic drivers for the laptop and it works like a champ. The stock drivers would also gimp the laptop for games like counter-strike etc.

I thought this was a known issue.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 285 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 7009