MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Well, I guess those hot wings finally made it through...<nt>
#281532 - 04/05/12 05:34 AM

I know, right?

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Reged: 01/28/12
Loc: Freeport, PA
Send PM

Re: Hot wings? *perk* :-) (nt) new [Re: italie]
#281541 - 04/05/12 07:07 AM

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

Re: Well, I guess those hot wings finally made it through...<nt> new [Re: italie]
#281556 - 04/05/12 03:43 PM

Is that how you bonked your noggin? Running off the commode?

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Well, I guess those hot wings finally made it through...<nt> new [Re: Hizzout]
#281589 - 04/05/12 07:20 PM

> Is that how you bonked your noggin? Running off the commode?

I wish it was that glorious of an excuse. Low door frame and oddly designed stairs in my 90 year old house. I've actually knocked myself out cold before, but I've never had vision /dizziness like this for soon long. I guess cutting that opening into an archway just nipped higher on my To do list

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Reged: 01/28/12
Loc: Freeport, PA
Send PM

Re: Well, I guess those hot wings finally made it through...<nt> new [Re: italie]
#281683 - 04/06/12 10:54 AM

Quote:

I wish it was that glorious of an excuse. Low door frame and oddly designed stairs in my 90 year old house. I've actually knocked myself out cold before, but I've never had vision /dizziness like this for soon long. I guess cutting that opening into an archway just nipped higher on my To do list

Like Hunter S. Thompson and golf shoes, please...

...WHAT ABOUT THE FRICKIN' HOT WINGS!!!

I concede to Hizzout because I was too lazy to memorize that Hunter S. Thompson paragraph. That and, dang blast it, I know that there are readers who caught the reference. And I'm not into such recreational pharmaceutical remedies for life. ;-)

Did Hunter S. Thompson help craft a computerized text adventure? If so I'd *LOVE* to check it out, since I'm such a cheeky bugger.

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

amused
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/24/08
Send PM

#281707 - 04/06/12 07:09 PM

> > Is that how you bonked your noggin? Running off the commode?
>
> I wish it was that glorious of an excuse. Low door frame and oddly designed stairs in
> my 90 year old house.

Only 90 years old, and those problems? Wow.

> I've actually knocked myself out cold before, but I've never
> had vision /dizziness like this for soon long.
How many times have you knocked yourself out there?
>I guess cutting that opening into an
> archway just nipped higher on my To do list

This sounds like something to take care of right away, before you get serious brain damage. If you are only putting it on your "to do" list, maybe you already have serious brain damage.

Edited by amused (04/06/12 07:10 PM)

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Well, I guess those hot wings finally made it through...<nt> new [Re: amused]
#281710 - 04/06/12 08:28 PM

> Only 90 years old, and those problems? Wow.

The door frame isn't in disrepair. It's just slightly lower than "normal" due to being built before any sort of code standard was created. The stairs also start to rise immediately at the door frame. This causes an obvious clearance issues for anyone over 6'.

> This sounds like something to take care of right away, before you get serious brain
> damage. If you are only putting it on your "to do" list, maybe you already have
> serious brain damage.

A little bump on the head isn't going to compete with the brain cells killed in my teens & twenties...but thanks for the concern I guess.

It's on the to-do list because its a load bearing wall, with a header over the frame. I can either:

a) Knock out the back of the house, put on an addition, and then move the stairwell back 4 feet.

b) Jack the ceilings around the stairwell, cut open every surrounding wall (plaster mind you), rebuild the header with some added headroom, repair surrounding walls (plaster mind you, so I'll end up doing the whole run).

I'll take the concussion every now and then. It's less of a headache.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

#281718 - 04/06/12 10:08 PM

> > Only 90 years old, and those problems? Wow.
>
>
> The door frame isn't in disrepair. It's just slightly lower than "normal" due to
> being built before any sort of code standard was created. The stairs also start to
> rise immediately at the door frame. This causes an obvious clearance issues for
> anyone over 6'.
>
>
> > This sounds like something to take care of right away, before you get serious brain
> > damage. If you are only putting it on your "to do" list, maybe you already have
> > serious brain damage.
>
>
> A little bump on the head isn't going to compete with the brain cells killed in my
> teens & twenties...but thanks for the concern I guess.
>
> It's on the to-do list because its a load bearing wall, with a header over the frame.
> I can either:
>
> a) Knock out the back of the house, put on an addition, and then move the stairwell
> back 4 feet.
>
> b) Jack the ceilings around the stairwell, cut open every surrounding wall (plaster
> mind you), rebuild the header with some added headroom, repair surrounding walls
> (plaster mind you, so I'll end up doing the whole run).
>
> I'll take the concussion every now and then. It's less of a headache.

Elevator.

amused
MAME Fan
Send PM

#281734 - 04/07/12 12:13 AM

> > Only 90 years old, and those problems? Wow.
>
>
> The door frame isn't in disrepair. It's just slightly lower than "normal" due to
> being built before any sort of code standard was created. The stairs also start to
> rise immediately at the door frame. This causes an obvious clearance issues for
> anyone over 6'.

I was thinking: it's not as though there were no tall people 90 years ago.

>
>
> > This sounds like something to take care of right away, before you get serious brain
> > damage. If you are only putting it on your "to do" list, maybe you already have
> > serious brain damage.
>
>
> A little bump on the head isn't going to compete with the brain cells killed in my
> teens & twenties...but thanks for the concern I guess.
>
> It's on the to-do list because its a load bearing wall, with a header over the frame.
> I can either:
>
> a) Knock out the back of the house, put on an addition, and then move the stairwell
> back 4 feet.
>
> b) Jack the ceilings around the stairwell, cut open every surrounding wall (plaster
> mind you), rebuild the header with some added headroom, repair surrounding walls
> (plaster mind you, so I'll end up doing the whole run).
>
> I'll take the concussion every now and then. It's less of a headache.

or
c) redo the stairs

or
d) at least put padding over the door frame

jeremymtc
Shot Maker
Reged: 01/09/07
Loc: Calimammy
Send PM

Re: Well, I guess those hot wings finally made it through...<nt> new [Re: TriggerFin]
#281741 - 04/07/12 03:19 AM Attachment: waterelevator.png 348 KB (1 downloads)

>
> Elevator.

Bear in mind that when Tfin says elevator...

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: Well, I guess those hot wings finally made it through...<nt> new [Re: jeremymtc]
#281744 - 04/07/12 04:25 AM

> >
> > Elevator.
>
>
> Bear in mind that when Tfin says elevator...

So, you weren't up to finding or building a piston-based one?

1.2.5. I've had to start a single-player world. Nothing much in it yet other than a single room on top of a tree in a jungle and 15 square meters of wheat.

jeremymtc
Shot Maker
Reged: 01/09/07
Loc: Calimammy
Send PM

Re: Well, I guess those hot wings finally made it through...<nt> new [Re: TriggerFin]
#281745 - 04/07/12 04:34 AM

> > >
> > > Elevator.
> >
> >
> > Bear in mind that when Tfin says elevator...
>
> So, you weren't up to finding or building a piston-based one?
>
> 1.2.5. I've had to start a single-player world. Nothing much in it yet other than a
> single room on top of a tree in a jungle and 15 square meters of wheat.

Pretty much same here. Except that the wheat is 3x3 and half a kilometer away.

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Well, I guess those hot wings finally made it through...<nt> new [Re: amused]
#281749 - 04/07/12 05:17 AM

> I was thinking: it's not as though there were no tall people 90 years ago.

Obviously you have never lived in an old house. Judging by the way they are built, you'd suspect the entire population was made of people under 5'5".

>
> or
> c) redo the stairs

No way to do so without expanding the house. They are already pushing "Ladder" status. Again..90 years old, shit wasn't built to any sort of standard.

> or
> d) at least put padding over the door frame

Adhesive on my maple trim? Hell no.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#281758 - 04/07/12 05:42 AM

> > or
> > d) at least put padding over the door frame
>
> Adhesive on my maple trim? Hell no.

Not to mention it would look incredibly ghetto.

I've got a similar setup, but it's just tall enough that, at 5' 11", I barely brush it going up and down the stairs normally. So far, I have yet to make significant contact, even traversing the stairs half asleep and/or drunk. If I were a few inches taller, though, I could definitely see it being a problem.

amused
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Well, I guess those hot wings finally made it through...<nt> new [Re: DMala]
#281775 - 04/07/12 06:21 PM

> > > or
> > > d) at least put padding over the door frame
> >
> > Adhesive on my maple trim? Hell no.
>
> Not to mention it would look incredibly ghetto.

Incredibly ghetto vs incredibly THUD, take your pick.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#281778 - 04/07/12 06:55 PM

> > I was thinking: it's not as though there were no tall people 90 years ago.
>
> Obviously you have never lived in an old house. Judging by the way they are built,
> you'd suspect the entire population was made of people under 5'5".

http://io9.com/5899665/this-human-bar-graph-shows-how-weve-grown-taller-over-80-years

- Stiletto

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 100 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1796