MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Kombalar
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/03/12
Send PM

Atari Gravitar walkthrough + tips (videos)
#281389 - 04/03/12 07:46 PM

Hi there. I created a "walkthrough" video of the incredible, largely forgotten masterpiece, Atari Gravitar (1982). It's my all-time favorite arcade game and it has kept its appeal through the decades.

This is a video capture of one fully completed game (full loop, game "clocked").

I hope these video(s) give you some good playing tips. It's a video capture of one full game played. I didn't use MAME but AAE Vector emulator, which is the best substitute for the real thing.

Enjoy!

PS: Keep the YouTube annotations on to view tips. Use 480 highest resolution.

PART I:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLmAIyTOqGQ

PART II:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZv-9R2fPjI

PART III:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvLcrlKmNy4

PART IV:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iVWrcEMorA

PART V:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1lsAqPfgSU

My arcade gameplay videos:

Atari Gravitar fully completed
Atari Star Wars Longplay
Atari Battle Zone Longplay
Atari Space Duel Longplay

CptGuapo
Beat'em-ups Lover
Reged: 03/18/08
Loc: Off to Never Never Land
Send PM

Re: Atari Gravitar walkthrough + tips (videos) new [Re: Kombalar]
#281405 - 04/03/12 09:33 PM

Hey, looks really cool! I didn't know that game yet. Thanks for the videos.

"Mythology is what grownups believe, folklore is what they tell children and religion is both."

XtraSmiley
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/28/04
Send PM

Re: Atari Gravitar walkthrough + tips (videos) new [Re: CptGuapo]
#281417 - 04/03/12 11:47 PM

Wow,

I've owned this game for 5 years now and can't even get as far as your first two videos. Great job man!

I'm going to have to go against one of my own rules and put more ships on and lower difficulty. This game is just too darn hard.

Thanks for the videos!

Kombalar
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Atari Gravitar walkthrough + tips (videos) new [Re: XtraSmiley]
#281419 - 04/03/12 11:57 PM

Thanks man. Appreciated.

This arcade game was in my local shopping mall when I was around 12. And I swear, all the kids there were able to get to the invisible levels... it was nothing special. Only one guy went through all 4 solar systems. I still haven't done it, after all these years.

Gravitar has a reputation of being extra difficult game but I don't agree. If you're good with the Asteroids-type 5-button controlling system you'll learn Gravitar fast.

After you get a "knack" of it, the flying becomes really enjoyable. It's not frustrating at all... it only requires some practice. It's incredibly deep and satisfying game. Pure skill, tactics and controls.

But learning the 5-button system is essential. I can't imagine that anyone could play this with cursor buttons or joystick (god forbid).

I use:
Z- LEFT
X- RIGHT
SPACE- SHIED/TRACTOR BEAM
SLASH- THRUST
RIGHT SHIFT- FIRE

This combo places the buttons just like in original.

Atari Star Wars Longplay

XtraSmiley
MAME Fan
Send PM

#281429 - 04/04/12 03:39 AM

Dude, I own the actual game, it's hard.

That mall version must have been on easy...

Actually, some people are just really good at this type of game.

I seem to suck, but man I do LOVE it, it's really fun for me.

Thanks again for the videos!

Kombalar
MAME Fan
Send PM

#281517 - 04/05/12 01:34 AM

You're welcome.

PS: Check out Dan Coogan's Gravitar site. It's perfect!

http://www.cooganphoto.com/gravitar/

Atari Star Wars Longplay

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

#281615 - 04/05/12 08:58 PM

> But learning the 5-button system is essential. I can't imagine that anyone could play
> this with cursor buttons or joystick (god forbid).

Tse. No moden game should be using buttons for movement/rotation. If I owned them, I'd put a stick in one hole, and a button plug (read that carefully kids) in the other.

I prefer Asteroids Deluxe, and Space Duel.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

XtraSmiley
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Atari Gravitar walkthrough + tips (videos) new [Re: mogli]
#281654 - 04/06/12 04:25 AM

> > But learning the 5-button system is essential. I can't imagine that anyone could
> play
> > this with cursor buttons or joystick (god forbid).
>
>
> Tse. No moden game should be using buttons for movement/rotation. If I owned them,
> I'd put a stick in one hole, and a button plug (read that carefully kids) in the
> other.
>
> I prefer Asteroids Deluxe, and Space Duel.

No way, the buttons are what make it awesome. I also have SD, but only prefer it for two player.

Kombalar
MAME Fan
Send PM

#282030 - 04/10/12 04:11 PM

> > > But learning the 5-button system is essential. I can't imagine that anyone could
> > play
> > > this with cursor buttons or joystick (god forbid).
> >
> >
> > Tse. No moden game should be using buttons for movement/rotation. If I owned them,
> > I'd put a stick in one hole, and a button plug (read that carefully kids) in the
> > other.
> >
> > I prefer Asteroids Deluxe, and Space Duel.
>
> No way, the buttons are what make it awesome. I also have SD, but only prefer it for
> two player.

Asteroids, Space Duel and Gravitar were all designed to play with buttons... and with buttons only. You can't get that kind of precision with joystick.

The controller systems were so unique in that era of Atari games... Centipede & Marble Madness and the trackball... Battlezone with the two sticks... Star Wars with the yoke... Major Havoc had that "roll", etc. They're an essential part of the gameplay experience.

Atari Star Wars Longplay

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

#282101 - 04/11/12 05:31 AM

> Asteroids, Space Duel and Gravitar were all designed to play with buttons... and with
> buttons only.

I get much greater precision, and have a greater reaction time, with a stick. Partly because I'm not distracted by which finger is doing which direction.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#282126 - 04/11/12 11:48 AM

> > Asteroids, Space Duel and Gravitar were all designed to play with buttons... and
> with
> > buttons only.
>
> I get much greater precision, and have a greater reaction time, with a stick. Partly
> because I'm not distracted by which finger is doing which direction.

Greater reaction time is a disadvantage.

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Atari Gravitar walkthrough + tips (videos) new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#282188 - 04/12/12 02:10 AM

> > > Asteroids, Space Duel and Gravitar were all designed to play with buttons... and
> > with
> > > buttons only.
> >
> > I get much greater precision, and have a greater reaction time, with a stick.
> Partly
> > because I'm not distracted by which finger is doing which direction.
>
> Greater reaction time is a disadvantage.

Ahem. What?...um, what? (I'm channeling Jack Coulton's bewilderment in the plane scene in Romancing the Stone.)

The Culture

StevieWunderful
Reged: 11/19/04
Loc: NY
Send PM

#282379 - 04/13/12 02:28 AM

I used to think like you, in this subject. However, after owning an Asteroids Deluxe, and getting used to the controls.. Id never change it.

Dual buttons to steer for example, leads to faster more precise reactions possible... because there is no need for any joystick travel time. (throw) You can literally hit one button right after the other, in a split second of contact. This mind you, is If you own real Leaf-Switches... rather than the inferior Micro-switches. Micros travel is too long, and thus a slower response. Micros also have more resistance, as well as a 'shock' (bottoming out the button) at the end of stroke.. which make them very fatiguing for extended rapid-fire games... such as A.D.

It only takes a few hours to completely master the original button layouts. Where as you no longer forget which finger and or button is which.

You will never 'get' these games, until you play them as they were intended. With proper controls, and a lot of effort in dedicated practice.

Kombalar
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Atari Gravitar walkthrough + tips (videos) new [Re: StevieWunderful]
#282387 - 04/13/12 04:38 AM

> I used to think like you, in this subject. However, after owning an Asteroids Deluxe,
> and getting used to the controls.. Id never change it.
>
> Dual buttons to steer for example, leads to faster more precise reactions
> possible... because there is no need for any joystick travel time. (throw) You can
> literally hit one button right after the other, in a split second of contact. This
> mind you, is If you own real Leaf-Switches... rather than the inferior
> Micro-switches. Micros travel is too long, and thus a slower response. Micros also
> have more resistance, as well as a 'shock' (bottoming out the button) at the end of
> stroke.. which make them very fatiguing for extended rapid-fire games... such as A.D.
>
> It only takes a few hours to completely master the original button layouts. Where as
> you no longer forget which finger and or button is which.
>
> You will never 'get' these games, until you play them as they were intended. With
> proper controls, and a lot of effort in dedicated practice.

Amen to that. Imagine going through the invisible "snake" planet in Gravitar, keeping the shields button pressed and going through the narrow tunnels with a joystick (see my videos part 3,4).

I don't even know why would anyone want to use a stick with Asteroids and Gravitar... it's just not right. The whole enjoyment of these games come from the "Atari-unique" 5-button system.

Of course you CAN play these games with a stick... you can also play Pole Position with a stick. But they're not intended to play that way.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#282446 - 04/13/12 08:30 PM

> > Greater reaction time is a disadvantage.
>
>
> Ahem. What?...um, what? (I'm channeling Jack Coulton's bewilderment in the plane
> scene in Romancing the Stone.)

Greater reaction time means it takes you longer to react. Therefore it means you will suck more.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Reaction Time new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#282451 - 04/13/12 08:56 PM

> > > Greater reaction time is a disadvantage.
> >
> >
> > Ahem. What?...um, what? (I'm channeling Jack Coulton's bewilderment in the plane
> > scene in Romancing the Stone.)
>
> Greater reaction time means it takes you longer to react. Therefore it means you will
> suck more.

He meant to say "better reaction time" or "shorter reaction time", you mean? Not "greater reaction time" aka "longer reaction time" or "larger reaction time"?

- Stiletto

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: Reaction Time new [Re: Stiletto]
#282513 - 04/14/12 05:16 AM

> > > > Greater reaction time is a disadvantage.
> > >
> > >
> > > Ahem. What?...um, what? (I'm channeling Jack Coulton's bewilderment in the plane
> > > scene in Romancing the Stone.)
> >
> > Greater reaction time means it takes you longer to react. Therefore it means you will
> > suck more.
>
> He meant to say "better reaction time" or "shorter reaction time", you mean? Not
> "greater reaction time" aka "longer reaction time" or "larger reaction time"?

I mean I think he's an insufferable dolt.

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Reaction Time new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#282526 - 04/14/12 06:22 AM

> I mean I think he's an insufferable dolt.

Oh, baby. Please. Do me that way.

Kombalar
MAME Fan
Send PM

#288124 - 05/29/12 03:27 AM

I edited the 1st post videos because I managed to complete the game fully. I also recorded one full loop.

It's now 100% perfect walkthrough (all universes & solar systems until the game "clocks" and starts over).

Enjoy.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 167 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2168