MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Where does Easter come from?
#281272 - 04/02/12 06:50 PM

Origins of Easter

"Easter" comes from Eostre (also Eastre, and Ostara), an Anglo-Saxon Goddess of Spring (closely related to the Babylonian Goddess of Spring Ishtar) whose celebration Eostremonat was in April, during the same time period as the Jewish Passover, or Pasch.

Eostre's sacred animal, or "familiar" was a rabbit (aka bunny). Feeling guilty about arriving late one spring, the Goddess saved the life of a poor bird whose wings had been frozen by the snow. She made him her pet or, as some versions have it, her lover. Filled with compassion for him since he could no longer fly (in some versions, it was because she wished to amuse a group of young children), Eostre turned him into a snow hare and gave him the gift of being able to run with incredible speed so he could evade his hunters.

In remembrance of his earlier form as a bird, she also gave him the ability to lay eggs (in all the colors of the rainbow, no less), but only on one day out of each year.

Eventually the hare managed to anger the goddess Eostre, and she cast him into the skies where he would remain as the constellation Lepus (The Hare) forever positioned under the feet of the constellation Orion (the Hunter). He was allowed to return to Earth once each year, but only to give away his eggs to the children attending the Eostre festivals that were held each spring. The tradition of the Easter Bunny and his eggs had begun.

Easter grass also stems from this lore, being that children would build a nest of grass for Eostre's bunny to lay his eggs in for them to collect. Sometimes the bunny would lay his eggs in hidden places, and children had to hunt for them.

Eggs were viewed as symbols of new life and fertility through the ages. It is believed that for this reason many ancient cultures, including the Ancient Egyptians, Persians, and Romans, used eggs during their spring festivals. The coloring of eggs was an established art, being dyed, painted, or otherwise decorated.

The Catholic's First Council of Nicaea (325) established the date of to celebrate the rising of their savior Jesus as the first Sunday after the full moon (the Paschal Full Moon) following the northern hemisphere's vernal equinox, so that it would coincide with the Jewish Passover (Pasch) and the pagan Eostremonat. For those people to continue celebrating their favorite holidays would help facilitate their conversion to Christianity.

The Eostre traditions were celebrations of renewed life over death during the spring, which the Christians pointed out is not unlike the Christian celebration of Jesus' resurection.

Modern use of the Easter basket can be traced back to the Middle Ages, when Catholics would give up eating eggs for lent. To keep eggs that were laid during this time period, they were boiled and stored. Celebrating the end of Lent, Catholics around Europe would hold Mass and feast on large meals, usually brought to the church in baskets to be blessed by the Priest, almost always including these eggs which were by the end of Lent, plentiful. Eventually this morphed into the modern smorgasbord of candy and treats nestled in the grass for the Eostre Bunny and carried in a basket.

Matty_
Part-time troll
Reged: 01/25/08
Send PM

From the east, obviously -nt- new [Re: GatKong]
#281307 - 04/03/12 02:42 AM

Breetai
Semi-Lurker "full time drinker"
Reged: 11/02/03
Loc: Omaha
Send PM

It is when they cursified the bunny. (nt) new [Re: GatKong]
#281312 - 04/03/12 03:32 AM

> Origins of Easter
>
> "Easter" comes from Eostre (also Eastre, and Ostara), an Anglo-Saxon Goddess of
> Spring (closely related to the Babylonian Goddess of Spring Ishtar) whose celebration
> Eostremonat was in April, during the same time period as the Jewish Passover, or
> Pasch.
>
> Eostre's sacred animal, or "familiar" was a rabbit (aka bunny). Feeling guilty about
> arriving late one spring, the Goddess saved the life of a poor bird whose wings had
> been frozen by the snow. She made him her pet or, as some versions have it, her
> lover. Filled with compassion for him since he could no longer fly (in some versions,
> it was because she wished to amuse a group of young children), Eostre turned him into
> a snow hare and gave him the gift of being able to run with incredible speed so he
> could evade his hunters.
>
> In remembrance of his earlier form as a bird, she also gave him the ability to lay
> eggs (in all the colors of the rainbow, no less), but only on one day out of each
> year.
>
> Eventually the hare managed to anger the goddess Eostre, and she cast him into the
> skies where he would remain as the constellation Lepus (The Hare) forever positioned
> under the feet of the constellation Orion (the Hunter). He was allowed to return to
> Earth once each year, but only to give away his eggs to the children attending the
> Eostre festivals that were held each spring. The tradition of the Easter Bunny and
> his eggs had begun.
>
> Easter grass also stems from this lore, being that children would build a nest of
> grass for Eostre's bunny to lay his eggs in for them to collect. Sometimes the bunny
> would lay his eggs in hidden places, and children had to hunt for them.
>
> Eggs were viewed as symbols of new life and fertility through the ages. It is
> believed that for this reason many ancient cultures, including the Ancient Egyptians,
> Persians, and Romans, used eggs during their spring festivals. The coloring of eggs
> was an established art, being dyed, painted, or otherwise decorated.
>
> The Catholic's First Council of Nicaea (325) established the date of to celebrate the
> rising of their savior Jesus as the first Sunday after the full moon (the Paschal
> Full Moon) following the northern hemisphere's vernal equinox, so that it would
> coincide with the Jewish Passover (Pasch) and the pagan Eostremonat. For those people
> to continue celebrating their favorite holidays would help facilitate their
> conversion to Christianity.
>
> The Eostre traditions were celebrations of renewed life over death during the spring,
> which the Christians pointed out is not unlike the Christian celebration of Jesus'
> resurection.
>
> Modern use of the Easter basket can be traced back to the Middle Ages, when Catholics
> would give up eating eggs for lent. To keep eggs that were laid during this time
> period, they were boiled and stored. Celebrating the end of Lent, Catholics around
> Europe would hold Mass and feast on large meals, usually brought to the church in
> baskets to be blessed by the Priest, almost always including these eggs which were by
> the end of Lent, plentiful. Eventually this morphed into the modern smorgasbord of
> candy and treats nestled in the grass for the Eostre Bunny and carried in a basket.

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Reged: 01/28/12
Loc: Freeport, PA
Send PM

Re: Mel Gibson should've stole that one rabbit scene from "Roger & Me" for Easter. (nt) new [Re: Breetai]
#281336 - 04/03/12 06:36 AM

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: Mel Gibson should've rogered that rabbit for Easter. new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#281367 - 04/03/12 04:27 PM

That's just sick.

Gor
Giver of truth.
Loc: The basement
Send PM

Re: Mel Gibson should've rogered that rabbit for Easter. new [Re: TriggerFin]
#281373 - 04/03/12 05:11 PM

> That's just sick.

I just ate the head off of one of these. It wasn't that good.

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Send PM

Re: Mel Gibson should've rogered that rabbit for Easter. new [Re: Gor]
#281383 - 04/03/12 06:57 PM

Quote:

> That's just sick.

I just ate the head off of one of these. It wasn't that good.

White chocolate ain't chocolate. Throw in the FDC dyes into that zombie bunny and that's a world of hurt right there.

Then there are those marshmallow Peeps. Those are wicked! And yet they have a cult fandom all their own. And they're looking at me!

Scares me. And I'm fearless. ;-)

A great Easter film for bunnies is "Watership Down". The kids'll love it!

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

#281394 - 04/03/12 08:04 PM

> A great Easter film for bunnies is "Watership Down". The kids'll love it!
>
> --Bekki

ADVISORY: The kids may in fact NOT love it. If you've not seen it yourself, keep it away from impressionable youths.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: Mel Gibson should've rogered that rabbit for Easter. new [Re: Gor]
#281395 - 04/03/12 08:08 PM

> > That's just sick.
>
> I just ate the head off of one of these. It wasn't that good.

Needs pink and red filling.

Bekki Doll
Send PM

#281459 - 04/04/12 10:50 AM

Quote:

ADVISORY: The kids may in fact NOT love it. If you've not seen it yourself, keep it away from impressionable youths.

I've watched it. The world is brutal and hurts even very good people, who have done nothing wrong. That's just the way the world is. Watch "Bully".

The world is cruel and full of pain. Anyone who tells you otherwise is trying to sell you something.

For cryin' out loud! Tigers taking down gazelles in full speed graphic violence back in the day on the Discovery Channel! Sir Anthony Hopkins narrated a nature flick regarding the animal kingdoms' defenses and offenses.

I really need a viddy featuring Hopkins now. I'm now beating myself up for not having the VHS recorder recording over fifteen years ago! Arrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhh! Dang it to heck for missed opportunities! I thought it would be in reruns! :-( :-( :-(

...pant...pant...I'm okay for now. That's a key part of the reason why I don't watch television today. ;-)

--Bekki

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

#281464 - 04/04/12 01:40 PM

> ADVISORY: The kids may in fact NOT love it. If you've not seen it yourself, keep it
> away from impressionable youths.
>
> I've watched it. The world is brutal and hurts even very good people, who have done
> nothing wrong. That's just the way the world is.

I saw it way back when it was a new thing. Just saying. I mean, people are afraid of pictures these days.

> Watch "Bully".

Not interested. Just not interested. Too much incoming media as it is.

Bekki Doll
Send PM

#281546 - 04/05/12 07:20 AM

Quote:

I saw it way back when it was a new thing. Just saying. I mean, people are afraid of pictures these days.

People had better get a grip. The problem is that a *LOT* of people avoid reality. I can understand that. However it will never go away by averting ones' eyes.

It's not as if I like to make waves. I just know it's pointless for me to state only one "good" side when people claim to value honesty and openness. If "openness" means only giving the good news then I find it insincere on my part to contradict that very idea through doublespeak.

That's why I'm drawn to dark tales and satire. It's how I am and that's the way it is. But I have noticed that such "sensitivity" and "political correctness" is literally creating a generation of people deep in denial. And if someone even blows the dust off the tip of that iceberg they person flies off the handle.

That is scary. It's as if people are becoming more prone to hair-trigger psychosis.

Anyway, "tPotC" is one very twisted snuff film for the sake of guilt-induction.

--Bekki

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 343 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1352