MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

How has your playing style changed since back in the day?
#279818 - 03/21/12 05:59 AM

Or, how has it evolved?

I know I play a lot less games now than I did when I was a teenager. But the old games that I do play now (thanks to MAME)... One thing I've noticed is that I seem to use a stutter motion (tapping very lightly/quickly) when moving sometimes. I attribute this to the use of analog controls in modern games, and by 'stutter walking' this is the best way to imitate that. Actually, I did do this when I played Super Hang-On (on the Genesis) or any other driving game for that matter that used digital controls, but I never really did it in platform games.

I also find I play a lot more conservatively, sticking to more simple, less aggressive actions. That might be due to having gotten older. Also, I'm not as thorough as I used to be. When I would play games like Sonic the Hedgehog - I'd go out of my way to get as many rings and monitors as I could. Nowadays, it's not that big of a deal.

LEVEL-4

lordflux
Lurker
Reged: 10/13/03
Send PM

Re: How has your playing style changed since back in the day? new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#279837 - 03/21/12 08:47 AM

When it comes to arcade games, my play style hasn't changed. I treat MAME like an experience in the arcade. I take a break from work and open up MAME with a set amount of quarters I'm going to spend (usually $2) and once it's gone, it's gone. I then close MAME and go about the rest of my day.

On the other hand, my play style has changed dramatically with console games. Got married and bought my first home in '07 and doing so shifted my priorities. Used to spend HOURS console gaming in the evening, but that's now been reduced to 20-30 minute sessions. Thing is, I still buy games like I used to... so now I just have stacks of unplayed games sitting on the shelves. Heck, I'm looking at a sealed copy of Mass Effect 1 right now (that I bought when it was released)!

I've always been the type of gamer who watches the cutscenes, looks in all of the corners for hidden secrets, and puts extra time into building up my character for the best stat combinations. If I don't have the time to do that, I'd just rather not play those types of games as I feel like I'm cheating myself out of a great experience if I rush through it. So I've been sticking to the more simple pick up 'n play titles like fighting games and racing games.

OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM

Re: How has your playing style changed since back in the day? new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#279840 - 03/21/12 09:09 AM

I no longer have any patience at all when it comes to wandering around levels/maps trying to figure out what to do, where to go, etc. I had little patience for that as a kid, and now I have even less patience. It may be due to the fact that I don't have as much free time as I did when I was a kid... so the free time I do have now, I'd like to spend it actually "playing" a game rather than wandering around and grinding. The result of this is that I refuse to play RPGs. I was never a big fan of them to begin with, but I dislike them even more now. The other day, I watched my younger brother wander around, for 45 minutes, the map trying to accomplish goals in one of those new PC Star War games. During those 45 minutes, there was no action at all. I used this opportunity to point out to him... that is one of the many reasons why retro game systems are more fun than new generation systems.

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

#279884 - 03/21/12 06:17 PM

> Or, how has it evolved?

I believe it devolved from heightened reactions, concentration and learning optimal behavior to defeat enemies and stay alive into one of simply toiling to find hidden items, clunky 3D/first-person navigation and playing to rather rigid storylines that resemble an interactive movie more than anything. I shelved the consoles and went back to my roots -- upright arcade games and pinball.

Nothing is more satisfying than, for instance, pounding away efficiently on a stage-ending boss in Raiden while barely avoiding a flurry of bullets, because you quickly figured a safe way out. My brow gathers some sweat, the big boss explodes into a thousand pieces and I get a short break to regather my composure and confront new enemy types in the next stage.

> Actually, I did do this when I played
> Super Hang-On (on the Genesis) or any other driving game for that matter that used
> digital controls

I have a SHO upright and make use of the full range of its handlebar controller. Sometimes you need to go into a curve at a slight angle to avoid bumping into another racer. This cannot be done with a gamepad. Plus the variable rate "motor" vibration quickens your pulse a little, especially when engaging Turbo. I've had the machine for four years and still find it challenging. Granted, I only put about 90-120 minutes into gaming a week. No save points on arcade games! No waiting for things to load, either.

greybeard
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/27/10
Send PM

#279888 - 03/21/12 06:25 PM

I'm not as "intense" as I used to be. I like getting some achievements in Steam, but its not as big of a deal.

I play less often and I play more casually.

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

#279892 - 03/21/12 06:29 PM

Same here Tom.I used to be crazy obsessed @ getting all the rings in Sonic,all the coins in SMB and so on.

I also play many games that I wouldnt have touched 15 years ago.I also grip the joystick differently now,where I used to grab the joystick with all four fingers over the top,now I grip with three fingers with the stick separating my ring finger and pinky.I also play less aggressive with more thought involved.

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

Re: How has your playing style changed since back in the day? new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#279895 - 03/21/12 06:33 PM

Thats like me and why I do not play FPS games ( CoD,Battlefield,etc...)

With the limited time I have to game now I want to feel as if I have accomplished something,which running around recycled maps shooting the same 15 people over and over again does not give the feeling of accomplishment.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 146 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1473