MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

TheBigAmbulance
And STILL not ginger....
Reged: 01/03/08
Send PM

How do you feel about Native American Nicknames in Sports?
#279741 - 03/20/12 07:26 PM

What do you think?
For them - Don't find them offensive
Against them - Don't use them
Sports suck and schools pay way too much money into them

View the results for this poll

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/232504/

My alma mater's hockey team is going to be at the NCAA Final Four this weekend. The nickname for The University of North Dakota is the "Fighting Sioux".

Over the past 30 years, there has been a movement to retire the nickname. Fire caught to it in 2005 when the NCAA deemed the schools use of the nickname as "hostile and abusive". One of the The Sioux tribes has a group trying to maintain the nickname by upholding a law the legislature passed, then withdrew. The other tribe is basically taking a now null stance, not doing anything as they have in the past denied use of the name and feel they have spoken. I spoke with reps from the one tribe that is supporting the name a month back while going to a game. They said that what is the most offensive to them is that neither the NCAA or the State came to them and asked how they felt. Meanwhile, Chief Osceola rides his horse Renegade at a Florida State home games without a problem. If there is anything that can be said, it's that the NCAA isn't consistent.

This is a HUGELY polarizing issue as a large portion of the populace feels there is nothing wrong with the nickname. I myself feel very strongly about keeping it, but can see the argument to retire it as well.

Looking for opinions...

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

No different than I do about the Fighting Irish new [Re: TheBigAmbulance]
#279755 - 03/20/12 09:05 PM

You don't see teams pick mascots that epitomize weakness do you... the General Custars, The Field Mice, The Scaredy Cats? Teams pick mascots that epitomize strength, endurance, and winning.

"How DARE you associate my people with those positive qualities."

TheBigAmbulance
And STILL not ginger....
Send PM

Re: No different than I do about the Fighting Irish new [Re: GatKong]
#279767 - 03/20/12 09:43 PM

That is a HUGE argument with the contingents here. Some people feel very honored, while others feel that it's a shame.

I know a member of a tribe other than Sioux in the state. He and I went to UND at the same time. When it was big news during that period, his comment was that there was just a couple of liberal 'I need my voice heard' types that were really being pretty vocal about the whole thing.

sigh.... I don't know what to do with this damn political correctness anymore. It defies logic!

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: How do you feel about Native American Nicknames in Sports? new [Re: TheBigAmbulance]
#279769 - 03/20/12 10:15 PM

> Meanwhile, Chief Osceola rides his horse Renegade at a Florida State
> home games without a problem. If there is anything that can be said, it's that the
> NCAA isn't consistent.

Actually, the NCAA did try to force FSU to change their name and the actual Seminole Tribe told them to STFU.

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

Re: No different than I do about the Fighting Irish new [Re: TheBigAmbulance]
#279772 - 03/20/12 10:36 PM

Agreed.The uber PC people are getting ridiculous.they are the worse of all,trying to tell others how to speak,how to think-it gets old.

It has reached a level of stupid never seen before.I mean,sometimes we cant even have a conversation without insulting someone,somewhere.When did everyone become so hyper sensitive and in touch with our feelings?

Edited by mesk (03/20/12 10:38 PM)

TheBigAmbulance
And STILL not ginger....
Send PM

Re: How do you feel about Native American Nicknames in Sports? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#279777 - 03/20/12 11:19 PM

I didn't realize that. I think that is what we are lacking.

There are two Sioux tribes in the state. One had a vote, and 66%+/- suppported the nickname. The other had said a long time ago they don't want it. But when the state/ncaa deal came through, they completely ignored the whole thing. The agreement between the s/n was that UND needed to get support of the two namesake tribes. Since one turned their nose up, it's in a tough spot.

"We just want our voice heard." That is what I heard the rep from the supporting res say.

Gor
Giver of truth.
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: The basement
Send PM

Re: How do you feel about Native American Nicknames in Sports? new [Re: TheBigAmbulance]
#279781 - 03/20/12 11:48 PM

> What do you think?
> For them - Don't find them offensive
> Against them - Don't use them
> Sports suck and schools pay way too much money into them
>
>
> http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/232504/
>
> My alma mater's hockey team is going to be at the NCAA Final Four this weekend. The
> nickname for The University of North Dakota is the "Fighting Sioux".
>
> Over the past 30 years, there has been a movement to retire the nickname. Fire caught
> to it in 2005 when the NCAA deemed the schools use of the nickname as "hostile and
> abusive". One of the The Sioux tribes has a group trying to maintain the nickname by
> upholding a law the legislature passed, then withdrew. The other tribe is basically
> taking a now null stance, not doing anything as they have in the past denied use of
> the name and feel they have spoken. I spoke with reps from the one tribe that is
> supporting the name a month back while going to a game. They said that what is the
> most offensive to them is that neither the NCAA or the State came to them and asked
> how they felt. Meanwhile, Chief Osceola rides his horse Renegade at a Florida State
> home games without a problem. If there is anything that can be said, it's that the
> NCAA isn't consistent.
>
> This is a HUGELY polarizing issue as a large portion of the populace feels there is
> nothing wrong with the nickname. I myself feel very strongly about keeping it, but
> can see the argument to retire it as well.
>
> Looking for opinions...

The only sports team name I can recall that uses my ethnicity is "Team USA". I fully support them and
their usage of USA in the name. If one half of the Sioux nation is genuinely offended, I guess they
should change the name. It sounds like a bit of a dick move for the state of ND to pass a law requiring
them to be known as the Fighting Sioux. On the other hand, if the Seminoles are fine with FSU, let it
be.

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Reged: 01/28/12
Loc: Freeport, PA
Send PM

Re: No different than I do about the Fighting Irish new [Re: mesk]
#279921 - 03/21/12 11:43 PM

Quote:

The uber PC people are getting ridiculous...

The Florida Orange Jews
The Cincinnati Spear Chuckers
The Coxcomb Tallywackers
The Mexitalian Beanywops
The Fightin' Uptighty Whities
Yo Momma

People can have fun with this. ;-)

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

Re: No different than I do about the Fighting Irish new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#279923 - 03/21/12 11:49 PM

You forgot about the London Silly Nannies

swaltz
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/02/12
Send PM

#284663 - 05/02/12 10:22 AM

There are two main tribes for the Seminole Nation as well; the nation in Florida and the Nation of Oklahoma. The tribe in OK usually protests the usage of the Seminole as the Florida State mascot; the tribe in FL supports it. Since the school is The Florida State University the banter from OK is ignored. Also I must add that the Seminole tribe and Florida State University (Administrators, Faculty, and Students) do work closely together. examples of this are countless interactions on campus and on tribal land between all individuals, training of Renegade (the horse) by native American horse trainers, the individual who portrays Osceola stays with a Seminole family for 4 moths learning traditions and heritage, all clothes and items used and worn by Osceola are made by the Seminole tribe, tuition waivers for all Seminole Indians, etc.

Thought you might also like this link...
http://nolefan.org/summary/seminoles.html

I heard about UND hockey arena. Meet a family from Grand Forks at the Frozen Four in Tampa and they told me about it. I cannot wait to make it out there to see the marble floors.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Oh great, another necromancer <nt> new [Re: swaltz]
#284669 - 05/02/12 01:30 PM

> There are two main tribes for the Seminole Nation as well; the nation in Florida and
> the Nation of Oklahoma. The tribe in OK usually protests the usage of the Seminole as
> the Florida State mascot; the tribe in FL supports it. Since the school is The
> Florida State University the banter from OK is ignored. Also I must add that the
> Seminole tribe and Florida State University (Administrators, Faculty, and Students)
> do work closely together. examples of this are countless interactions on campus and
> on tribal land between all individuals, training of Renegade (the horse) by native
> American horse trainers, the individual who portrays Osceola stays with a Seminole
> family for 4 moths learning traditions and heritage, all clothes and items used and
> worn by Osceola are made by the Seminole tribe, tuition waivers for all Seminole
> Indians, etc.
>
> Thought you might also like this link...
> http://nolefan.org/summary/seminoles.html
>
> I heard about UND hockey arena. Meet a family from Grand Forks at the Frozen Four in
> Tampa and they told me about it. I cannot wait to make it out there to see the marble
> floors.

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Reged: 01/28/12
Loc: Freeport, PA
Send PM

Re: That's what happens when you want more threads with less suction. new [Re: italie]
#284672 - 05/02/12 01:57 PM

Be careful what you wish for: You'll wind up with a drooler'n'dribbler. ;-)

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 309 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2324