MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

greybeard
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/27/10
Send PM

Are there any retro systems (PC/Console) you wish you could own?
#279171 - 03/13/12 07:13 PM

Are there any gaming systems you would like to own? I know I'd like an Amiga, but in my small efficiency apartment, I don't have the room and I have too many systems I rarely play as is to buy another one.

I have thought about buying the Amiga Emulator that comes will legal BIOSes / etc, the $29.99 version which has some programs, but I've never gotten around to buying it.

There are several reasons people may want to own a system and don't buy it, rarity of the system or games, prices of the games, fragility of the system and/or games, limited space, inability to use with modern TVs/Monitors.

The thing is, no matter how accurate emulation may be for a console or a computer, sometimes there's a feeling playing games on original hardware that can't be duplicated on a PC playing emulation.

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

Re: Are there any retro systems (PC/Console) you wish you could own? new [Re: greybeard]
#279173 - 03/13/12 07:22 PM

Yup. Neo Geo.

The price for the home systems was astronomical back in the day, and I've never seen the home console in person, but I remember as a kid being floored by the graphics and the ability to save your game to the memory card on the arcade machine and pick up where you left off at home. That was groundbreaking at the time.

The only consoles I ever actually owned was a Pong like console (I don't remember the make or model) and an Atari 2600. My parents didn't like video games hogging the TV, so I played most of my games on a computer instead, so I owned a C64, C128, and a Tandy which sparked my interest in computers. I had to play the consoles at my friends homes.

greybeard
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Are there any retro systems (PC/Console) you wish you could own? new [Re: Hizzout]
#279175 - 03/13/12 07:31 PM

One of my bucket list items is to get a Jamma to TV hookup and a Neo Geo 1 slot MVS motherboard. I have a few cartridges Bitrotting waiting for me to make that happen.

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

Re: Are there any retro systems (PC/Console) you wish you could own? new [Re: greybeard]
#279180 - 03/13/12 08:20 PM

PokeMAME
Gotta catch 'em all!
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: San Antonio, TX
Send PM

#279181 - 03/13/12 08:31 PM

I always wanted the RCA Cosmac VIP

and the Exidy Sorcerer.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#279183 - 03/13/12 09:58 PM

> Are there any gaming systems you would like to own? I know I'd like an Amiga, but in
> my small efficiency apartment, I don't have the room and I have too many systems I
> rarely play as is to buy another one.
>
> I have thought about buying the Amiga Emulator that comes will legal BIOSes / etc,
> the $29.99 version which has some programs, but I've never gotten around to buying
> it.
>
> There are several reasons people may want to own a system and don't buy it, rarity of
> the system or games, prices of the games, fragility of the system and/or games,
> limited space, inability to use with modern TVs/Monitors.
>
> The thing is, no matter how accurate emulation may be for a console or a computer,
> sometimes there's a feeling playing games on original hardware that can't be
> duplicated on a PC playing emulation.

I'm not much of a collector - it's too hard to keep a million systems connected, and if they're not set up and easily accessible, they'll just end up gathering dust. I much prefer the convenience and ease of emulation.

I do have my NES which I got new circa 1987. I found it in my mom's basement a while back and refurbished it, which was a rather fun project. I also have a PS1 that my wife bought new in college... I haven't touched it in years, though. I have no idea if it still works.

As far as things I'd like to have, I wouldn't mind a Turbografx-16. They were reasonably uncommon, and it had some pretty entertaining games. A buddy of mine had one when we were kids, and I have a lot of good memories of playing it back in the day. I'm mostly satisfied having it emulated, but for nostalgia's sake I wouldn't mind having an actual one hooked to my TV.

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

#279185 - 03/13/12 10:56 PM

i never owned but always wanted one of these below (especially now u can get multi carts containing 50+ games etc):

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#279188 - 03/13/12 11:31 PM

I guess an Atari 2600 "Jr". I had one as a kid, and it was my first game console... But being a 'kid' I was a bit too rough with it. Especially when dying in games. Like in Joust for instance.

So I might've slammed the cart into the slot, used crude language at it, and/or stomped it a few times.

LEVEL-4

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

#279190 - 03/14/12 12:45 AM

Adventure Vision

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

#279191 - 03/14/12 12:57 AM

I found ones which use an ATX power supply and you can use NeoGeo controllers and has a SCART connection for video

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

Trebor
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

#279194 - 03/14/12 01:47 AM

Computers:
A complete Vic-20, C64, Apple IIe, and a Tandy 1000 EX setup.

Console:
A Vectrex and a Neo-Geo.

Handheld:
All Coleco Tabletops (Where's Mr. Arcade and Mrs. Arcade when you really need them?), Nintendo Game & Watch (Thanks to MADRigal for filling that void and the tabletop one somewhat), and a Microvision.

I have none of the above as a result of limited resources for it, and/or space.

OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM

#279207 - 03/14/12 06:13 AM

FM Towns Marty 2! A rare console that gets no attention. I never knew it even existed until I got into emulation a few months ago. I'd like to play PuLiRuLa on it.

Also, Atari Jaguar. I remember when it first came out and was awed hearing that it was the first 64-bit (questionable by some) console. It was so much more expensive than all other consoles and I felt bad asking my parents to buy me something so pricey (new console plus a few games & accessories would had been easily $500 right off the bat). Plus nobody I knew ever owned one. So I always wanted to see it in action and play it. But before I knew it, they stopped selling it. It had such a short life span. So I always felt bad for it.

Mojo2000
Regular
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: North America
Send PM

C=64/128, OK. Vic-20? Urgh. (nt) new [Re: Trebor]
#279221 - 03/14/12 03:04 PM

C=64/128, OK. Vic-20? Urgh. (nt)

Trebor
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

Re: C=64/128, OK. Vic-20? Urgh. (nt) new [Re: Mojo2000]
#279232 - 03/14/12 05:48 PM

> C=64/128, OK. Vic-20? Urgh. (nt)

The Vic-20 is the first computer I ever owned. Complete with Data Cassette and Green Monochrome display.

Played and completed all five original Scott Adams Adventures, Clowns (With my Atari 2600 paddles attached), and Atarisoft titles. Not to forget Cosmic Cruncher...A very nice Pac-Man clone. Also, Alien is great. A port of the Arcade original:

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8100

greybeard
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: C=64/128, OK. Vic-20? Urgh. (nt) new [Re: Trebor]
#279233 - 03/14/12 06:12 PM

That's similar to why I love the 2600 and Pac Man on it. It was the first system I played, at friends, and I was too poor to own one.

Poor Charline cringes every time she hears Pac Man 2600 running on the TV or my PC.

"You have Pac Man in MAME and want to play this crappy version."

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

Re: C=64/128, OK. Vic-20? Urgh. (nt) new [Re: Mojo2000]
#279235 - 03/14/12 06:27 PM

> C=64/128, OK. Vic-20? Urgh. (nt)

HEY. That 4k, 8 color-having magic circuit board was my first computer. It was a challenge to be an efficient programmer and make something work well under such a resource constraint. You whippersnappers and your bloatware would never understand!

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Re: C=64/128, OK. Vic-20? Urgh. (nt) new [Re: greybeard]
#279254 - 03/14/12 09:51 PM

> That's similar to why I love the 2600 and Pac Man on it. It was the first system I
> played, at friends, and I was too poor to own one.
>
> Poor Charline cringes every time she hears Pac Man 2600 running on the TV or my PC.
>
> "You have Pac Man in MAME and want to play this crappy version."

Ditto. Just because I owned an Odyssey^2 doesn't mean that's what I gravitate to. But I'm a New World Man.

The only slight exception to this is the Vectrex, which I don't consider a console system, but an arcade system marketed to consumers. Yet, while I have one, I rarely turn it on.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 103 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1783