MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

rommager
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/13/12
Send PM

I dumped unknown roms for Bally MCR System?
#279081 - 03/13/12 01:06 AM

Hey guys. I have a stack of Bally/Midway MCR boards (mostly Tron and Satan's Hollow), but among them I have a video gen board and a Super CPU board with roms I don't recognize. I dumped the roms, and mame's romident could not match any of them. I tried swapping the foreground and background roms into tron, and it appears the graphics are for horizontal monitor orientation. There's lots of large and small numbers, along with a few symbols like clubs and spades. I suspect that these may be poker boards, but since they are not in running condition, (I'm lacking a SSIO board) and I don't know the condition the board components are in, I can't say that for sure...

Also, the CPU board, while it appears to be MCR, it has a different chip layout than a normal CPU board.

I have been looking for the proper avenue to submit the roms that I dumped to the mame dev team to see if they might be able to add support to MAME.

Can anyone point me to some info on how to submit these roms so that a MAME dev could take a look at them?

drewcifer
One bad Mutha-(shut yo' mouth!)
Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Sweden
Send PM

Re: I dumped unknown roms for Bally MCR System? new [Re: rommager]
#279083 - 03/13/12 01:33 AM

Very cool find!

Yeah, it's not entirely obvious what the best way to submit ROMs to MAMEDev are; sorry about that, we should make that easier. One avenue is sending a mail directly to [email protected]* with information about where MAMEDev can find the ROMs online (whether it be a sendspace account, attached to the mail, http, or whatever you prefer).

Another option, since this sounds like a very cool find, is to send me a private message (click on my username on the left and then hit "Send a Private Message") and I'll make sure it gets through to the right people and/or attempt to add it myself.

Thanks for sharing!
Andrew

> Hey guys. I have a stack of Bally/Midway MCR boards (mostly Tron and Satan's Hollow),
> but among them I have a video gen board and a Super CPU board with roms I don't
> recognize. I dumped the roms, and mame's romident could not match any of them. I
> tried swapping the foreground and background roms into tron, and it appears the
> graphics are for horizontal monitor orientation. There's lots of large and small
> numbers, along with a few symbols like clubs and spades. I suspect that these may be
> poker boards, but since they are not in running condition, (I'm lacking a SSIO board)
> and I don't know the condition the board components are in, I can't say that for
> sure...
>
> Also, the CPU board, while it appears to be MCR, it has a different chip layout than
> a normal CPU board.
>
> I have been looking for the proper avenue to submit the roms that I dumped to the
> mame dev team to see if they might be able to add support to MAME.
>
> Can anyone point me to some info on how to submit these roms so that a MAME dev could
> take a look at them?

*New submission details: http://mamedev.org/devwiki/index.php/Submitting_Source_Code

Edited by Smitdogg (05/08/12 06:17 PM)

rommager
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: I dumped unknown roms for Bally MCR System? new [Re: drewcifer]
#279096 - 03/13/12 03:29 AM

Thanks Andrew! I submitted the roms to mamedev along with a couple pictures of the boards for reference.

Sean

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

#279117 - 03/13/12 05:25 AM

> Thanks Andrew! I submitted the roms to mamedev along with a couple pictures of the
> boards for reference.
>
> Sean

I'm pretty familiar with the MCR hardware, would you mind shooting a link to some images my way? Curious as to the layout. There were subtle differences to the layout on each game using the MCR hardware, should be easy to sort out what they are. They could be know ROMs with some decent bit rot or something.

rommager
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: I dumped unknown roms for Bally MCR System? new [Re: italie]
#279289 - 03/15/12 12:13 AM

PM Sent

drewcifer
One bad Mutha-(shut yo' mouth!)
Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Sweden
Send PM

#279677 - 03/20/12 02:11 AM Attachment: 0000.png 7 KB (0 downloads)

Just wanted to update everyone on Rommager's lucky find.

I naively popped the ROMs into the MCR driver, hooking them into the boardset combination they most likely corresponded to. Enough stuff popped up for another mamedev to identify which game it was. It's this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIM4sZAp2KE

It's an interesting set - the poker game is manufactured in 1985, making it the latest game running on the hardware documented in mcr.c - but yet it uses what appears to be one of the earliest revisions of the hardware (the 90009 CPU board + 91399 video board - go here for more info: http://mamedev.org/source/src/mame/drivers/mcr.c.html). The driver says these numbers should be silk-screened somewhere on the PCBs, but they're not.

At any rate, I'm going to leave the details of this set to someone who is more familiar with the hardware (looks like some colors are off, a graphics layer is offset, and the sound ROMs aren't present, so they'd need to be patched out for the time being).

But here's a sshot in the interim.

Andrew

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 599 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2233