Pages: 1

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Anybody here write apps?
#277152 - 02/24/12 06:26 PM

I want to write an app for mobile devices... probably start with the iphone (since I'm lined up to get one), but other devices to follow... and if there's a tool out there that can help me do it quick and easy, that beats me self-learning the app programming process, which I COULD do if I had to, but I don't think I do.

I've looked at a ton of app writing tools, hard to pick one.

Anyone have any experience on this?

The app I want to write will be more or less helping the user work his way through specific algorythms to arrive at a specific mathematical solution. Not a game, not graphic/video required... if I had to pick a close comparison, it'd be almost like helping someone do their taxes (but it won't be for taxes, just a comparison).

My priority would be on the app doing its job straight and easy user friendly... graphics and effects would be secondary.

Thanks

cutebutwrong
script kiddie
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: London, UK
Send PM

Re: Anybody here write apps? new [Re: GatKong]
#277158 - 02/24/12 07:13 PM

Sounds like that Big Bang Theory episode:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1632227/

AFAIK you need a Mac to write iPhone apps.

http://maws.mameworld.info/maws/ - eventually updating MAME databast

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: Anybody here write apps? new [Re: cutebutwrong]
#277160 - 02/24/12 08:31 PM

> Sounds like that Big Bang Theory episode:
>
> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1632227/
>
> AFAIK you need a Mac to write iPhone apps.

Yup...need a Mac. If you aren't familiar with the Dev environmet I wouldn't attempt to convert a PC to run x86 either....

Only thing I can say is there us no easy way afaik. Picking up a good objective C book would be a good start.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Anybody here write apps? new [Re: italie]
#277161 - 02/24/12 08:59 PM

> Yup...need a Mac. If you aren't familiar with the Dev environmet I wouldn't attempt
> to convert a PC to run x86 either....
>
> Only thing I can say is there us no easy way afaik. Picking up a good objective C
> book would be a good start.

There's also a fee to become an official developer and be able to submit to the app store. I think it's something $100-200? I'm not even sure, do you need to sign up just to get access to the development tools? Regardless, you have to be at least reasonably serious about getting an app finished and selling it to make it worthwhile.

Like just about everyone else, I've been meaning to get into app development. I get totally envious when I see some goofy little game and it has 1,000,000 downloads at 99 cents a pop. Also like just about everyone else, I just haven't been able to find the inspiration, motivation, or time to buckle down and get to it.

Llaffer
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/04/11
Send PM

Re: Anybody here write apps? new [Re: DMala]
#277167 - 02/24/12 09:19 PM

You can download XCode for free.

You can use it to write programs and test them in an iPhone/iPad emulator. After that, you can't do anything with it without getting a developer license.

With your $99 annual fee to get a developer license, you'll be able to test your code on an actual device within the debugger environment. You'll get access to beta versions of XCode and iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad OS images so you can test your code with what could be a future version of iOS. And most importantly, you'll be able to submit and have your app published in the App Store. Even if you want it to be a free app, you can't submit it without a dev license.

Objective-C is the language that is required to make iPhone apps, and it's a pain in the ass even if you have a good understanding of OO programming. When I wrote my apps 2 years ago, I wasn't that proficient with OO (my main background is with straight C), so I had to learn both enough to do what I wanted to do. Objective-C is a different off-shoot of C, also starting in 1984 when C++ started, so each have had 28 years of separate evolution.

What I learned 2 years ago, I've lost, and will have to re-learn everything again when I'm ready to try it again. My hardware is no longer supported by Apple, so I'm going to have to get a new Mac and a new iPod Touch for testing before I can look into this again.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

Re: Anybody here write apps? new [Re: Llaffer]
#277211 - 02/25/12 05:20 AM

Everybody here, and all over the net, they keep talking about a developer license fee upfront...

Yet I registered as a developer, and downloaded the sdk, and never got prompted to pay for anything. I did see that when I UPLOAD my app I'll have to pay... maybe they changed that policy to encourage more developers... If I DID get charged... it wasn't obvious to me that I was being charged, and I would have stopped at that step.

I dunno, but anywho I'm a registered developer now, although I don't have the hat.

:tophat:

edit: OK, why isn't "tophat" the graemlin code for ?

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Reged: 01/28/12
Loc: Freeport, PA
Send PM

Re: Anybody here write apps? new [Re: GatKong]
#277275 - 02/26/12 04:32 AM

Dumb question: Does the app have to reside upon Apple's servers or can anyone just post the app via a web server for download? I don't own an iPad/iPhone/iSpank/etc. and wonder if one can download and install the ol' fashioned way.

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

Llaffer
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/04/11
Send PM

Re: Anybody here write apps? new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#277276 - 02/26/12 04:43 AM

Officially, the app resides on Apple's servers, bought through the App Store, and then downloaded to your devices.

There is a way, usually for development builds of applications, to tell the app which devices specifically to run on (like for business use, not for the general public), which then you can take the application file, import it into iTunes, then sync to devices.

But in order for that to work, the application must know the device ID to allow its import. You can't just download a random file and expect it to work.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

Re: Anybody here write apps? new [Re: Llaffer]
#277492 - 02/27/12 05:34 PM

Yeah, I did some digging, wondering if there was a way to distribute an app outside itunes... it CAN be done, your iphone/ipad can be "enabled" for each unique undistributed app for $100 per app. Cheaper just to submit the app, and distribute it that way... or if the app has been rejected from the app store, and the app is crucial to the user for some reason, THEN maybe the $100 fee per app is reasonable... but the developer gets none of that $100, so...

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 159 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1189