View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM

MAME "u" download link suggestion
#276995 - 02/23/12 08:51 AM

I'm suprised there is not a download link for the "u" updates of the official commandline MAME. What about adding that download link on the www.mameui.info page. It has the IV/Play download link on that page so why not include the compilation of the official commmandline MAME "u" updates?

Just a suggestion.

(And don't say because it's not the UI version because neither is IV/Play but it's still there.)

P.S. I already know that sometimes someone will compile the official commandline MAME "u" update and post the file in a thread in the forum. But that's hidden and not nearly as publicly known and easily accessed when compared to the MAMEUI & IV/Play that has an entire web page dedicated to it's download files.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

Re: MAME "u" download link suggestion new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#277002 - 02/23/12 10:45 AM

Those builds are not official and are not supported. They're expected to break to some extent and are supposed to be limited to a few limited groups of people-- those who are sending technical bug reports in, and those who are willing to go bleeding edge without complaining when they end up with shrapnel in their thigh from it exploding.

I believe they've made it clear in the past that official U builds won't be provided.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: MAME "u" download link suggestion new [Re: Firehawke]
#277018 - 02/23/12 02:23 PM

> Those builds are not official and are not supported. They're expected to break to
> some extent and are supposed to be limited to a few limited groups of people-- those
> who are sending technical bug reports in, and those who are willing to go bleeding
> edge without complaining when they end up with shrapnel in their thigh from it
> exploding.
>
> I believe they've made it clear in the past that official U builds won't be provided.

MESS provides official u-builds now. So does almost every derivative build. Also, how could people report bugs at mametesters if they couldn't get hold a of copy?

I think as long as a suitable disclaimer is provided, there should not be a problem with someone hosting it officially. Doesn't have to be mamedev.org

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

Re: MAME "u" download link suggestion new [Re: Robbbert]
#277057 - 02/23/12 08:53 PM

They release the source so anybody can build their own update.

http://mamedev.org/updates.html

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Send PM

Re: MAME "u" download link suggestion new [Re: Robbbert]
#277059 - 02/23/12 09:20 PM

While I'm not MAMEdev and can't speak for the team, I think I've got a pretty decent handle on this one (and I imagine they'll tell me to shut up if not.)

It's an artificial barrier. If you're smart enough to be able to compile the U builds, you're smart enough to put together a proper bug report.

Additionally, they never said others couldn't post U-builds. They've just chosen not to provide U-builds themselves so as to limit support requests from people who clearly won't bother to read any of the disclaimers-- who, coincidentally, are the same people who won't bother to create sane, accurate bug reports in the first place.

---

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: MAME "u" download link suggestion new [Re: Firehawke]
#277061 - 02/23/12 09:45 PM

It's an artificial barrier of not having to pay out the ass in hosting fees. Even paying for hosting non-u releases caused them to need several outside mirrors. Just the mirror of hosting the non-u MW does uses more bandwidth than anything else on MW by several TB per month. Don't know why it's even being discussed. Download it from the news board. Use easiest answer to problems, not brainstorming for questions...

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Send PM

Re: MAME "u" download link suggestion new [Re: Smitdogg]
#277064 - 02/23/12 09:52 PM

No arguments there, it's not like you can't find at least three different builds of any U release through Google within two hours of a patch release.

---

ReadOnly
MESSfan
Reged: 10/24/10
Loc: Paris La Défense
Send PM

Re: MAME "u" download link suggestion new [Re: Smitdogg]
#277081 - 02/24/12 12:38 AM

With nowadays technology, the huge assed HDDs and the developed optical network, bandwidth should really no longer be an issue, at all, and if it is, you should really consider looking for another host as soon as possible, because you are being scammed. Nowadays bandwidth is pretty much unlimited, even in the most cheap shared servers. I host several sites and my total monthly bandwidth towers overs 150 TB according to webalizer, and I have never encountered any significant slowdown or downtime. I have even one site exclusively dedicated to download files, with an average of 25M per file.

The only problem nowadays is memory. I can see it even with my system, I have terabytes of unused disk space, my 100Meg optical connexion is hardly ever pushed... but I am constantly lacking memory. I have 6 Gigs of DDR2 memory in an x64 system built in 2008. At that time 6 Gigs sounded quite a lot, especially if you consider the common x86 architecture was limited to 2.5 Gigs. If I knew the troubles I would run into, I would have probably considered around 16 Gigs (4x4) but I don't remember if 4 Gigs sticks even existed back then. Now DDR2 is pretty rare and very expensive, DDR3 is much cheaper but I would need to replace mobo and cpu too. So really memory is the only thing I am lacking, and memory is the only thing that my host limits in the TOC. I am not allowed to use more than 10% of the total server memory.

File download is a pretty memory intensive process, especially when people use a download manager with multiple connexions at a time. In order to offer to my users a quality download service, while not taking the risk to hit the 10% limit, I use PHP technology. First, I can encrypt the url of the files so that nobody can access them directly and download managers are totally powerless, secondly I can limit the maximum numbers of instant connexions per user to my liking and thirdly I can regulate the daily download limit per user (for example 500M/day for guests, 1000M/day for registered users, and unlimited for seniors). This system totally works and is rock solid, users can download at very high speed, and none of my sites ever slowdown.

Conclusion if MAMEdev problem is really only a bandwidth issue they should consider learning a less 1990-ish language than html and go for modern servers.

As for the topic, I don't really believe in a quality control set up for mametesters. I believe the more people can get these "u" builds, the more likely legit bugs will be reported in due time. But... whatever... builds are available in any good news site so mamedevs running that site can keep being lazy.

Gor
Giver of truth.
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: The basement
Send PM

#277087 - 02/24/12 01:16 AM

> P.S. I already know that sometimes someone will compile the official commandline MAME
> "u" update and post the file in a thread in the forum. But that's hidden and not
> nearly as publicly known and easily accessed when compared to the MAMEUI & IV/Play
> that has an entire web page dedicated to it's download files.

I believe someone has compiled the builds for every u build announced on the board, I could be wrong.
At least, it's been a very long time since I can recall a u build not being posted.

They are very easy to find in threaded mode.

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: MAME "u" download link suggestion new [Re: Gor]
#277095 - 02/24/12 02:07 AM

> They are very easy to find in threaded mode.

hahahah yes sir they are

Very simple to compile, but you can find them posted here as well.

OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM

#277111 - 02/24/12 05:29 AM

Quote:

Robbbert posts:

MESS provides official u-builds now. So does almost every derivative build. Also, how could people report bugs at mametesters if they couldn't get hold a of copy?

I think as long as a suitable disclaimer is provided, there should not be a problem with someone hosting it officially. Doesn't have to be mamedev.org

I agree.

Quote:

ReadOnly posts:

Conclusion if MAMEdev problem is really only a bandwidth issue they should consider learning a less 1990-ish language than html and go for modern servers.

As for the topic, I don't really believe in a quality control set up for mametesters. I believe the more people can get these "u" builds, the more likely legit bugs will be reported in due time. But... whatever... builds are available in any good news site so mamedevs running that site can keep being lazy.

I agree. (Except for the lazy part )

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 303 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1850