MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Arcade games fussy with Voodoo boards?
#276305 - 02/16/12 11:11 PM

Excluding the Windows OS based games (Arctic Thunder, Come on Baby), are arcade games fussy when it comes to which Voodoo card you have installed? I would have thought the Glide driver is able to use different cards.

I ask because I just got a Voodoo 2 board for what seems little money compared to other sellers and decided to try see if I could get some arcade games too boot which I knew had Voodoo 2 cards inside. I tried Hydro Thunder and Offroad Thunder first, just for fun since I can't add a Voodoo driver which supported my Voodoo 3 card, and whilst Hydro Thunder dumped me with a
Code:

Err1 DISKMON

or something similar which I knew might happen since it does it on any board, Offroad thunder stops after saying
Code:

glide2x expected Voodoo, none found

I kinda had an assumption nothing would happen since the manual states the custom OS won't recognize the Voodoo or LAN card unless installed in the factory default positions, but it still seemed kinda strange. I tried to see if Savage Quest under the same stupid idea that the OS was less restrictive (DOS) and had the same driver, but it still dumped me at the same screen.

Are the glide2x drivers locked to a particular card or are the games just fussy? I expect the Thunders to not work, but I would have assumed Savage Quest should of worked.

And before someone says, after the previous experience, NO, I didn't expect any of the games to boot, I just was surprised they didn't recognize the card. Even if it did work, the Thunders would have told me the I/O board was bad, similar for Savage Quest except this time it would be the HASP dongle.

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

TrevEB
Brokering peace between the collectors and the Mame Community
Reged: 03/11/05
Loc: Oakland, CA
Send PM

Re: Arcade games fussy with Voodoo boards? new [Re: Naoki]
#276332 - 02/17/12 03:07 AM

There may be a problem with your Voodoo 2 board.

The original hardware for Savage Quest was
Guillemot Maxi Gamer 3D2
I know SQ ran just fine with a Monster Voodoo II card.

So, you may want to try some PC titles with your card to verify it's actually working.

Naoki
Send PM

Re: Arcade games fussy with Voodoo boards? new [Re: TrevEB]
#276407 - 02/17/12 02:27 PM

> There may be a problem with your Voodoo 2 board.
>
> The original hardware for Savage Quest was
> Guillemot Maxi Gamer 3D2
> I know SQ ran just fine with a Monster Voodoo II card.
>
> So, you may want to try some PC titles with your card to verify it's actually
> working.

It registers in my PC, but doesn't work because both OSes on my PC are 64-bit, Vista and 7 so..

I think I have a Rainbow 6 game I could try...

----

By gods I've found it!

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#276408 - 02/17/12 02:46 PM

> It registers in my PC, but doesn't work because both OSes on my PC are 64-bit, Vista
> and 7 so..
>
> I think I have a Rainbow 6 game I could try...

It will not work, you can't use a Voodoo card on 64-bit Windows, there are no 64-bit drivers for it.

S

Naoki
Send PM

Re: Arcade games fussy with Voodoo boards? new [Re: Sune]
#276422 - 02/17/12 06:45 PM

I do realize that. I have other systems with older OSes however, I was thinking of using them instead of my main PC

----

By gods I've found it!

Naoki
Send PM

Re: Arcade games fussy with Voodoo boards? new [Re: TrevEB]
#276575 - 02/19/12 10:40 PM Attachment: v2_t_works.jpg 39 KB (1 downloads)

I've been thinking, it's not because this card is too... new, right?

Here's my card (minus the heatsinks which the cards never came with, these were added after being sold)

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

----

By gods I've found it!

Naoki
Send PM

#276582 - 02/19/12 11:32 PM

Figured out what Midway mean by the fact you can't move the GFX card. The driver seems to be intergrated into the OFFROAD3.exe program (which itself is built for or is the ETS TNT embedded kernal aswell). Considering it looks like source code, it's likely programmed to use a specific IRQ and address or PCI slot number and would explain why the same spec cards don't work (video bios isn't on normal cards or is custom).

Without replacing the driver it ain't gonna work I guess.

Anyway.. I'll retry Savage Quest, I don't think my card is busted, it caused no problems in Win2K stability and the driver worked fine, altough I have yet to see it make any polygons yet.

----

By gods I've found it!

Naoki
Send PM

#276664 - 02/20/12 05:38 PM

As far as I know, and I haven't run any glide tests, so I could be wrong, but as far as I can tell from using DX diag my Voodoo card functions fine..

----

By gods I've found it!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 455 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1545