MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

aavada
master of unlocking
Reged: 09/25/10
Send PM

The first optical mouse I ever bought just died.
#276166 - 02/16/12 12:06 AM

I actual spent a while trying to resuscitate it. It's toast.

I'd disassemble and clean it up every year and it just kept chugging along. It was my workhorse. It was a Logitech, one of the goofy ones with the clear blue plastic so that the LED would shine through. Worn smooth as glass on the bottom...

What's weird is that I can remember the day that I bought it, even the package that it was in. I got it for work and everyone else oohed and aahed over it but weren't quite sold. (One guy gave me absolute hell for buying it because of their utter lack of Linux support. Apparently I had crossed a line by bringing Logitech hardware through the door.) That night we played on the LAN a bit and I DOMINATED. By the next game night EVERYONE had an optical mouse.

RIP little buddy. *sigh*

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

Re: The first optical mouse I ever bought just died. new [Re: aavada]
#276167 - 02/16/12 12:16 AM

I remember the first optical mouse I'd ever seen was in a graphic design class in high school (around 94-95). It had the same red light on the bottom, but it actually needed a special mouse pad to work. the mouse pad had a very fine grid printed on it, which corresponded to the cursor location on the screen I guess. It was supposed to give you precise control of the mouse, but all I remember about it is that it was barely ever used, and it cost a fortune.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#276168 - 02/16/12 12:28 AM

> I actual spent a while trying to resuscitate it. It's toast.
>
> I'd disassemble and clean it up every year and it just kept chugging along. It was my
> workhorse. It was a Logitech, one of the goofy ones with the clear blue plastic so
> that the LED would shine through. Worn smooth as glass on the bottom...
>

That's what I'm using right now, also my first, still works, smoothed out on the bottom just like that. I've had it snap a couple of inside bits before where you could hear a tiny piece of plastic inside bumping around but just opened it up and dropped it out. Other than that I've wiped it down every once in a while, still works perfectly. Best mouse ever. Try to get another one on eBay.

aavada
master of unlocking
Send PM

Re: The first optical mouse I ever bought just died. new [Re: Hizzout]
#276169 - 02/16/12 12:30 AM

Oh god, did it have a lens with crosshairs on it? I forget what those were called.

aavada
master of unlocking
Send PM

Re: The first optical mouse I ever bought just died. new [Re: Smitdogg]
#276170 - 02/16/12 12:34 AM

> Best mouse ever.

Agreed. I actually wondered if it would outlive the USB standard. Comfortable as hell as well.

> Try to get another one on eBay.

Oooooh... Tempting. Very tempting. Hadn't even thought of replacing it yet.

[edit] Hella' tempting... http://www.ebay.com/itm/330686619629

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

#276173 - 02/16/12 12:55 AM Attachment: images.jpg 6 KB (1 downloads)

No, that's a drafting mouse. I always wanted one of those

It looked more like this:

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

aavada
master of unlocking
Send PM

Good lord. _nt_ new [Re: Hizzout]
#276176 - 02/16/12 01:02 AM

Need steel-toed boots to use that thing...

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#276197 - 02/16/12 05:40 AM

Make a lowball offer and choose the econ shipping (not default) and you could get a sweet deal. I might go for a backup if you pass. I did that with discontinued Saitek controllers already.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#276208 - 02/16/12 06:27 AM

I was a big fan of the old-school Logitech Mouseman Wheel. I used to pick them up on Ebay when I could get them cheap. However, it was a "balled" mouse, not optical, and eventually I got sick of cleaning the crap out of the wheels.

If you decide to get a new mouse, I highly recommend the Logitech G500

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/mice-keyboard-combos/devices/gaming-mouse-g500

Very comfortable, even for someone with big hands like me. It comes with a set of weights that you can insert into the base to adjust it to your liking. I made it as heavy as possible and it feels really solid.

You can get it for around $50 online possibly less if you catch a sale. That sounds expensive, but some of the cheapest Logitech mice sell for a surprising amount of money, so you might as well spend a little more and get a really nice one.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

aavada
master of unlocking
Send PM

Re: The first optical mouse I ever bought just died. new [Re: krick]
#276265 - 02/16/12 06:10 PM

> If you decide to get a new mouse, I highly recommend the Logitech G500

Hmmm... I need a workstation mouse now that uh, Old Blue has bit the dust. My main mouse now is an optical, a Logitech MX310. I've been wanting to move to a laser for a while. So I guess I could demote this one...

Now I have the perfect excuse, no? Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 137 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1250