MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

aavada
master of unlocking
Reged: 09/25/10
Send PM

As a card-carrying germaphobe who collects retro games...
#275634 - 02/10/12 02:12 AM Attachment: CARTS.jpg 113 KB (1 downloads)

adding cartridges to the collection is always wonderful and horrifying at the same time.

The worst is the Atari 2600 Activision cartridges. Were those specially DESIGNED to collect filth?!

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: As a card-carrying germaphobe who collects retro games... new [Re: aavada]
#275635 - 02/10/12 02:21 AM

> adding cartridges to the collection is always wonderful and horrifying at the same
> time.
>
> The worst is the Atari 2600 Activision cartridges. Were those specially DESIGNED to
> collect filth?!

Well, they were the cream of the crop Atari 2600 games - usually very well played. Take lots of grubby kids hands + allow 30 years to "set in".. it's no wonder. Also, there is the dreaded "Actiplague"/Actiplaque" which curses this brand's games.. that lovely glue motting deterioration of the labels. Even some never before opened games I have have been observed to suffer from this..

That said, it's nice to see another collector in the ranks!

greybeard
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/27/10
Send PM

Re: As a card-carrying germaphobe who collects retro games... new [Re: Tafoid]
#275638 - 02/10/12 03:44 AM

Yeah its worth getting them for the 2600.

I can't seem to find many cartridges that don't have to be cleaned. Everything from Game Boy cartridges to Nintendo 64 cartridges seem to need cleaned, but when you get good games you don't care about the hassle involved in cleaning them.

I have my 2600 games in a plastic storage bin, with the system and a couple of C64 joysticks.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: As a card-carrying germaphobe who collects retro games... new [Re: greybeard]
#275642 - 02/10/12 04:32 AM

> I can't seem to find many cartridges that don't have to be cleaned. Everything from
> Game Boy cartridges to Nintendo 64 cartridges seem to need cleaned, but when you get
> good games you don't care about the hassle involved in cleaning them.

I had a buddy who had an incredible NES collection back when the NES was still current. At one point, he started renting them out through a local video store, and he used to tell horror stories of the condition of the games when they would come back - soda and popcorn crumbs *inside* the cartridge.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: As a card-carrying germaphobe who collects retro games... new [Re: DMala]
#275657 - 02/10/12 08:30 AM

> > I can't seem to find many cartridges that don't have to be cleaned. Everything from
> > Game Boy cartridges to Nintendo 64 cartridges seem to need cleaned, but when you
> get
> > good games you don't care about the hassle involved in cleaning them.
>
> I had a buddy who had an incredible NES collection back when the NES was still
> current. At one point, he started renting them out through a local video store, and
> he used to tell horror stories of the condition of the games when they would come
> back - soda and popcorn crumbs *inside* the cartridge.

I let some kids, 2 of 'em, brothers, that were the sons of a co-worker of my father, borrow a Sega Master System game... Shanghai I think it was. I never did get to meet them...

Typically, it took a long time to get the game back. When I finally did - the instruction manual pages were bent/folded , and there was -what seemed to be- a bit of cat crap on either the cart or the manual -one.

Needless to say that was the LAST game I would ever let them borrow.

Side story... This co-worker of my dad - he sold me a tandy(?) computer. I wanted to get it to get familiar with computers or some "simple" programming (never did catch on to it -seemed boring as hell). Yet, at the time, I also had a Sega Genesis. He seen some of the games for it, and later he told my Dad that he was embarrassed because of how good the graphics were.

LEVEL-4

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

#275695 - 02/11/12 03:30 AM

> adding cartridges to the collection is always wonderful and horrifying at the same
> time.
>
> The worst is the Atari 2600 Activision cartridges. Were those specially DESIGNED to
> collect filth?!

That's an awesome image of VP - it really captures him perfectly.

Did you create it ? If not, where did you get it ?

Moose

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

#275697 - 02/11/12 03:42 AM

H.E.R.O (by activision) is the greatest atari 2600 of all time (well, and PITFALL i guess, which is again by activision anyways )

aavada
master of unlocking
Reged: 09/25/10
Send PM

Re: As a card-carrying germaphobe who collects retro games... new [Re: Moose]
#275699 - 02/11/12 03:52 AM

Just type 'Vincent Price' into Google Images to find that particular pic. But yeah, I added the 'Funk of 40,000 years' bit.

Thank heavens for cotton swabs...

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 100 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1820