MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

greybeard
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/27/10
Send PM

Anyone try the Mortal Kombat bundle for the PC?
#274879 - 02/03/12 02:33 AM

I snagged it off of Steam today and liked it, but I'm not good at judging it versus the games in MAME. While $1.50 off wasn't much (It's selling for $8.49), I am happy it was cheaper than the $14.99 it was advertised originally at.

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

Re: Anyone try the Mortal Kombat bundle for the PC? new [Re: greybeard]
#275001 - 02/03/12 04:46 PM

If You can have MAME for free, I can see no reason for buying this game.
1. No HD
2. No any improvements
Even in MAME You can play on-line. They throw us(PC gamers) bones, instead they should port/make Mortal Kombat 9 to PC !
M0th€r Fu¢k€r$ !

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Anyone try the Mortal Kombat bundle for the PC? new [Re: CTOJAH]
#275003 - 02/03/12 05:04 PM

If your fans of the game you buy it to support the developers and the games you love.

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Send PM

Re: Anyone try the Mortal Kombat bundle for the PC? new [Re: B2K24]
#275005 - 02/03/12 05:16 PM

Love should be bidirectional, I'll support them, if they make NEW/IMPROVED games, not milking the cow called "Mortal Kombat".

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

#275011 - 02/03/12 07:10 PM

> I snagged it off of Steam today and liked it, but I'm not good at judging it versus
> the games in MAME. While $1.50 off wasn't much (It's selling for $8.49), I am happy
> it was cheaper than the $14.99 it was advertised originally at.

No but I bought it for the 360 when it was released at the end of August,and the game was unplayable in its original state.Then it took Netherrealm\Other Ocean over 4 months to patch it correctly.

greybeard
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/27/10
Send PM

#275016 - 02/03/12 08:05 PM

The thing is, you'll happily play it in MAME for free as is, and buying the 3 pack (MK, MKII, UMK3) is ~ $8.50.

If they get enough sales maybe other MK games will come out for the PC?

MAME was never intended to be used to play games for free. If you're happy playing the game for free in MAME, why is sending the IP holders $4 a game for gratitude?

The way I see things (which isn't law BTW) is I support buying ports and play games in the arcade when I get the chance.) That way, when I do download games its not like the IP holders lost any money. It's not law, but its my moral beliefs. I don't expect anyone else to follow them, I'm just stating them.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#275018 - 02/03/12 08:19 PM

> If You can have MAME for free, I can see no reason for buying this game.
> 1. No HD
> 2. No any improvements
> Even in MAME You can play on-line. They throw us(PC gamers) bones, instead they
> should port/make Mortal Kombat 9 to PC !
> M0th€r Fu¢k€r$ !

You can have MAME for free, but the ROMs aren't legal unless you bought them from someone who was licensed to sell them or you own an MK board. Sure it would be nice for them to make improvements and take advantage of the new platform, but I think it's pretty lousy to criticize them for releasing the original simply because you can take it without permission for free.

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Send PM

Re: Anyone try the Mortal Kombat bundle for the PC? new [Re: DMala]
#275022 - 02/03/12 09:23 PM

I live in country where on highest stair of hierarchy is moral, not dollar - so stop selling me these stories of legality and morality. You'll buy condom only to enjoy sex without having consequences, not to support developers of that latex thing !
As a matter of fact, who stopping You from sending Your money to Capcom/Namco/Konami... just to show Your love and support for their products/games ? Why waiting for some company to release some shitty game and then paying them just for legal/moral cause ?
I am talking here about earning money from players around the world by fair means. They (developers of MK) already know about MAME and availability of "free" roms and still do nothing to improve their game ?! Go buy for Yourself a car which is not improved by any means, for let's say 20 years, and give them money so they (car sellers/makers) could, in the years that follow, make/develop a better car.
I can see no man in the world who pays for "supporting the developer", but for satisfying their own needs : entertainment/food/clothes etc...

P.S. Sorry for my bad English grammar.

lordflux
Lurker
Reged: 10/13/03
Send PM

#275036 - 02/03/12 11:23 PM

I picked it up as well. Even though I own MK in basically every variation (yes, I have the dedicated cabs as well), I still want to support the developers.

And to be honest, I was surprised it took 4 matches before I found a Kung Lao infinite spammer. Was expecting to see 'that guy' in my 2nd Ranked Match. :P

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#275083 - 02/04/12 06:12 AM

> I live in country where on highest stair of hierarchy is moral, not dollar - so stop
> selling me these stories of legality and morality. You'll buy condom only to enjoy
> sex without having consequences, not to support developers of that latex thing !
> As a matter of fact, who stopping You from sending Your money to
> Capcom/Namco/Konami... just to show Your love and support for their products/games ?
> Why waiting for some company to release some shitty game and then paying them just
> for legal/moral cause ?
> I am talking here about earning money from players around the world by fair means.
> They (developers of MK) already know about MAME and availability of "free" roms and
> still do nothing to improve their game ?! Go buy for Yourself a car which is not
> improved by any means, for let's say 20 years, and give them money so they (car
> sellers/makers) could, in the years that follow, make/develop a better car.
> I can see no man in the world who pays for "supporting the developer", but for
> satisfying their own needs : entertainment/food/clothes etc...

I didn't say anything about "supporting the developers". You're right, they release a product and you can choose to buy it or not depending on whether you think it has any merit. But to say you won't buy it because you can just download it for free makes you sound like just another freeloading pirate.

It's not a perfect fit, but to carry on your car analogy... It's like you demanding a better car from Ford because if you want to drive any of their current ones, you can just go out in the street and steal one.

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/15/07
Send PM

Re: Anyone try the Mortal Kombat bundle for the PC? new [Re: DMala]
#275124 - 02/04/12 05:04 PM

You guys should win awards for going off topic and derailing threads Can we like ummm....Y'know, stick to giving impressions about this particular port of MK Kollection, rather than having a mud-slinging contest surround the legalities of MAME and roms? I just want to know:

A)How's the netcode?
B)Have they fixed the bugs from the console versions?
C)Is the sound still screwed up?
D)Is there a spectate mode?

Edited by Outrun2006 (02/04/12 05:05 PM)

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

Re: Anyone try the Mortal Kombat bundle for the PC? new [Re: Outrun2006]
#275136 - 02/04/12 06:57 PM

> You guys should win awards for going off topic and derailing threads Can we like
> ummm....Y'know, stick to giving impressions about this particular port of MK
> Kollection, rather than having a mud-slinging contest surround the legalities of MAME
> and roms? I just want to know:
>
> A)How's the netcode?
> B)Have they fixed the bugs from the console versions?
> C)Is the sound still screwed up?
> D)Is there a spectate mode?

Netcode is good since they patched it,its original state was horrible.

Bugs are still present

Sound is screwed up."Get over h...."

No spec mode.I was really upset when I purchased this game in August,and TBH SFIII online edition puts this collection to shame.But its to be expected with Ed Boon and crew.They are continuing their trademark make one good game,then make one bad game.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#275159 - 02/04/12 11:37 PM

> If You can have MAME for free, I can see no reason for buying this game.
> 1. No HD
> 2. No any improvements
> Even in MAME You can play on-line. They throw us(PC gamers) bones, instead they
> should port/make Mortal Kombat 9 to PC !
> M0th€r Fu¢k€r$ !

Generally, PC versions of arcade/console games take a back seat so that consoles retain their selling point, it's also believed that consoles are generally faster than the PC of the same era (e.g. the PS2 from 2000 vs a PC from 2000, it's obviously not going to be a Core 2 Duo, more like a 833MHz-1GHz Pentium III), so either the game would have to be fully reworked to run on the slower system, or give it a year or two and PCs will catch up (or, if the PC was already fast enough upon the game's release, it probably costed somewhere in the 4-digit range, unlike the console of the same era, so after a year or two the prices of PC components drop dramatically).

The Grand Theft Auto series is a good example (starting with GTA3, since GTA1 and 2 were designed for the PC), and the PC versions are always enhanced over their Sony counterparts (e.g. selectable video resolutions instead of 640x480i/512i on the PS2, ability to have longer draw distance, anti-aliasing, keyboard+mouse controls, custom MP3 files for music instead of the built-in 'radio' stations, just to name a few in GTA San Andreas). Of course, with all these enhancements comes a lot of bugs as well, since the PC kiddies are nagging the game developers to release it as early as possible. Once released they then complain that it runs way too slow on their archaic P3 with a Geforce 2... game developers can't win!

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

The real question is new [Re: mesk]
#275165 - 02/05/12 01:09 AM

> > You guys should win awards for going off topic and derailing threads Can we like
> > ummm....Y'know, stick to giving impressions about this particular port of MK
> > Kollection, rather than having a mud-slinging contest surround the legalities of
> MAME
> > and roms? I just want to know:
> >
> > A)How's the netcode?
> > B)Have they fixed the bugs from the console versions?
> > C)Is the sound still screwed up?
> > D)Is there a spectate mode?
>
>
> Netcode is good since they patched it,its original state was horrible.
>
> Bugs are still present
>
> Sound is screwed up."Get over h...."
>
> No spec mode.I was really upset when I purchased this game in August,and TBH SFIII
> online edition puts this collection to shame.But its to be expected with Ed Boon and
> crew.They are continuing their trademark make one good game,then make one bad game.

Does it require to have GFWL on all the time?

'Cause I hate that thing.

lordflux
Lurker
Reged: 10/13/03
Send PM

Re: Anyone try the Mortal Kombat bundle for the PC? new [Re: Outrun2006]
#275168 - 02/05/12 03:15 AM

> A)How's the netcode?

Out of the 20 or so games I've played, I've had maybe 4 that didn't have lag. Once the lag hits, it just snowballs and continues to get worse. I got destroyed in MK1 by a spamming Kano cannonball player... my block would register 2 seconds after I pressed it.

Things is, all of the games showed green or yellow on the ping meter. So I had no indication there would be lag until the match started... then it was too late to back out.

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/15/07
Send PM

Re: Anyone try the Mortal Kombat bundle for the PC? new [Re: lordflux]
#275194 - 02/05/12 10:16 AM

Thanks for the impressions guys. Doesn't sound perfect but maybe I'll give it a try.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 345 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1723