View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM

What Set To Choose Between The Two
#274239 - 01/27/12 12:23 PM

I'll use the game "Cabal" as an example. If a person already has the parent set of the game, which is "Cabal (World, Joystick version)." But the person wants to play the trackball version. There are two options he can choose from. They are:

Cabal (US set 1, Trackball version)

or

Cabal (US set 2, Trackball version)

So, which one should the person choose?

What is the difference between those two sets?

Their WIP is identical.

Does the "set 2" mean that it is an update to the "set 1" version that has possibly fixed bugs/glitches in the game and/or added extra features in the game?

Or does it mean it's just a different PCB board but the gameplay is still identical?

In similiar situations like this one, is a person most likely better off in choosing "set 2" instead of "set 1"?

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: What Set To Choose Between The Two new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#274258 - 01/27/12 04:19 PM

Here's how this works...

If MAMEDEV knows the difference (based on revision date/version physically marked on the ROMs or contained within the data or other information) then it's included in the set description.

Sometimes some MAMEDEV (like stephh) has complete understanding of the processors used by the games and can make a judgement call as to which set came first based on looking at the code/data, and then this will also often be reflected in the description.

If NEITHER are possible - then simply "set 1", "set 2", are put in the description, with no value judgment.

Sometimes users come back with suggestions about the ordering and that will sometimes be reflected in the source code comments. Such as "I just dumped the Pac-Man 2.0 upgrade kit I own, and the ROMs match set 2, so set 2 should really be called 'Pac-Man 2.0'"

(There, I don't think I missed anything...)

- Stiletto

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: What Set To Choose Between The Two new [Re: Stiletto]
#274266 - 01/27/12 05:21 PM

> If NEITHER are possible - then simply "set 1", "set 2", are put in the description,
> with no value judgment.

Correct. "Set 1", "Set 2" type names mean that the ROMs are different but we don't know what actually changed. People who find out are welcome to post here or on MAMETesters with their findings and we'll alter the set names accordingly.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

OSG better be saving all this for thenew "FAQ" he's writing.<nt> new [Re: R. Belmont]
#274275 - 01/27/12 08:27 PM

> > If NEITHER are possible - then simply "set 1", "set 2", are put in the description,
> > with no value judgment.
>
> Correct. "Set 1", "Set 2" type names mean that the ROMs are different but we don't
> know what actually changed. People who find out are welcome to post here or on
> MAMETesters with their findings and we'll alter the set names accordingly.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: A FAQ also? WOW! he is creating entire new MAWS as well xD <nt> new [Re: italie]
#274280 - 01/27/12 10:38 PM

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

Re: OSG better be saving all this for thenew "FAQ" he's writing.<nt> new [Re: italie]
#274285 - 01/27/12 11:20 PM

> > > If NEITHER are possible - then simply "set 1", "set 2", are put in the
> description,
> > > with no value judgment.
> >
> > Correct. "Set 1", "Set 2" type names mean that the ROMs are different but we don't
> > know what actually changed. People who find out are welcome to post here or on
> > MAMETesters with their findings and we'll alter the set names accordingly.

To be honest, I'm not sure that naming "guidelines" are mentioned in the official MAME FAQ, but it's never needed to be documented. First off, they've always been slightly in flux/judgement call, and secondly, anyone submitting documentation changes to update the descriptions usually know this already. And typically, users don't need to know because they often just play whatever the parent set is in my experience. I mean, you don't usually have someone working through every set of Tempest, for example.

- Stiletto

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: OSG better be saving all this for thenew "FAQ" he's writing.<nt> new [Re: Stiletto]
#274292 - 01/28/12 01:42 AM

> To be honest, I'm not sure that naming "guidelines" are mentioned in the official
> MAME FAQ, but it's never needed to be documented. First off, they've always been
> slightly in flux/judgement call, and secondly, anyone submitting documentation
> changes to update the descriptions usually know this already. And typically, users
> don't need to know because they often just play whatever the parent set is in my
> experience. I mean, you don't usually have someone working through every set of
> Tempest, for example.

I'm just saying, with all this knowledge he's compounding he could do something useful...

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

In my early MAME days, I would try each set.... new [Re: italie]
#274297 - 01/28/12 03:00 AM

But those were mostly 80s games, and hence not many to test, and ultimately I found that most games weren't different. Robotron and robotryo are exceptions; they play differently. So do the Centuri and Tehkan sets of Pleiads (Centuri's is harder).

So I almost strictly stick with the parent set, and don't even archive clones, etc. Exceptions are: rare cases like Pac-Man, where I use that set, cos I'm US of course; and when I want to use different scanline display methods - for example:

- DK/224x256 games older MAME : dd+scanlines 50% set 1 ; D3D+scanlines 50% set 2 ; or switchres 800x600 + scanlines 50% set 2 .

- DK newer MAME : effect scanrez2_V (my special version) set 1 ; HLSL set 2 .

- Pac/224x288 games newer MAME: switchres 800x600 + scanlines 50% set 1 ; HLSL set 2 .

This is using a CRT, of course.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

#274304 - 01/28/12 04:37 AM

Thanks for the explanation.

Yea, I normally always just play the parent set. The only time I will play it's clone is if it has a trackball version instead of a joystick version and vice versa depending on the game and my preference of what controller I'd like to use. Another reason that I might play a parent set's clone is if the parent set's language is in Japanese and there is an English language clone. Also, another reason, and this is extremely rare, but if the clone has working sound but the parent set doesn't have working sound...An example of this is with the game "Tough Turf", the clone US version has working sound but the parent Japan version does not have working sound. One last reason would be if the clone has additional features in the gameplay that the parent set does not have...An example would be the clone of "NBA Hangtime", which is "NBA Maximum Hangtime." That clone has a few extra players on certain teams' rosters.

So those are the only reasons why I would choose to play the clone instead of the parent set.

stephh
Happy Bonze
Reged: 07/23/06
Send PM

#274377 - 01/29/12 01:34 AM

> Sometimes some MAMEDEV (like stephh) has complete understanding of the processors used by the games and can make a judgement call as to which set came first based on looking at the code/data, and then this will also often be reflected in the description.

It's a LONG task, especially for games with big ROM area and Z80 banked games !

> If NEITHER are possible - then simply "set 1", "set 2", are put in the description, with no value judgment.

BTW, I'd be happy if we could get rid of the "alternate" sets and use "set n" instead ...

Steph from The Ultimate Patchers

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

#274378 - 01/29/12 01:56 AM

Which, in turn, reminds me how Capcom was particularly prone to revisionism in their CPS1 and CPS2 titles.

Digging through THAT morass is going to be fun, with such things as Guile's "handcuffs" and various adjustments to framecounts, priority. and damage. Might be a good project to get SRK on, actually...

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

AWJ
Reged: 03/08/05
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Send PM

Re: What Set To Choose Between The Two new [Re: Firehawke]
#274381 - 01/29/12 02:39 AM

I don't think Capcom ever made actual gameplay changes to Street Fighter without calling the revision a new game.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Send PM

Re: What Set To Choose Between The Two new [Re: AWJ]
#274385 - 01/29/12 03:35 AM

Absolutely incorrect. Alpha Anthology has a special "dipswitches" menu for adjusting gameplay elements based on multiple revisions of the Alpha series arcade code.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/931620-street-fighter-alpha-anthology/faqs/53049

Edit: I should probably clarify something. While 99.99% of the adjustments were bugfixes, a change to even a single active move typically had rippling effects across the entire game that could be on-par to a whole balance pass-- none of this is currently documented, and I believe that there's actually quite a bit of history here should someone want to dig in deeply enough.

Edited by Firehawke (01/29/12 04:29 AM)

---

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#274386 - 01/29/12 03:58 AM

For framecounts you mean how long a certain frame of animation showed before moving on?

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Send PM

Re: What Set To Choose Between The Two new [Re: Smitdogg]
#274387 - 01/29/12 04:08 AM

Kinda. Let me use a different game in the same series as example:

http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2009/feb/17/how-read-frame-data-street-fighter-4/

The principles described here are pretty much true across the entire SF series. While I wouldn't describe myself as an expert on the material in question, this should be enough to get across the kinds of things that were tweakable without being immediately obvious at first glance.

---

stephh
Happy Bonze
Send PM

'cabalus' vs 'cabalus2' new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#274404 - 01/29/12 11:27 AM

> I'll use the game "Cabal" as an example. If a person already has the parent set of the game, which is "Cabal (World, Joystick version)." But the person wants to play the trackball version. There are two options he can choose from. They are:
>
> Cabal (US set 1, Trackball version)
>
> or
>
> Cabal (US set 2, Trackball version)
>
> So, which one should the person choose?
>
> What is the difference between those two sets?

After a brief look at the M68000 code and the games, it appears that "set 1" has an additional "Winners don't use drugs" FBI warning screen ... Because of this, the code is completely "shifted", so it's difficult to spot other differences ...

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

Re: 'cabalus' vs 'cabalus2' new [Re: stephh]
#274426 - 01/29/12 07:53 PM

> > I'll use the game "Cabal" as an example. If a person already has the parent set of
> the game, which is "Cabal (World, Joystick version)." But the person wants to play
> the trackball version. There are two options he can choose from. They are:
> >
> > Cabal (US set 1, Trackball version)
> >
> > or
> >
> > Cabal (US set 2, Trackball version)
> >
> > So, which one should the person choose?
> >
> > What is the difference between those two sets?
>
> After a brief look at the M68000 code and the games, it appears that "set 1" has an
> additional "Winners don't use drugs" FBI warning screen ... Because of this, the code
> is completely "shifted", so it's difficult to spot other differences ...
>
> Steph from The Ultimate Patchers

Awww stephh, I did not mean to summon you to look at this...

- Stiletto

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

Re: What Set To Choose Between The Two new [Re: stephh]
#274427 - 01/29/12 07:57 PM

> BTW, I'd be happy if we could get rid of the "alternate" sets and use "set n" instead
> ...

Well, as we see from this thread, some people are mistaking "set n" for version/revision numbers... this is probably one of those things that will be hard to get the point across no matter what phrasing is picked... if it wouldn't make waves, I'd nominate "alternate set n" as being a little clearer.

- Stiletto

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

#274428 - 01/29/12 08:00 PM

> Absolutely incorrect. Alpha Anthology has a special "dipswitches" menu for adjusting
> gameplay elements based on multiple revisions of the Alpha series arcade code.
>
> http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/931620-street-fighter-alpha-anthology/faqs/53049
>
> Edit: I should probably clarify something. While 99.99% of the adjustments were
> bugfixes, a change to even a single active move typically had rippling effects across
> the entire game that could be on-par to a whole balance pass-- none of this is
> currently documented, and I believe that there's actually quite a bit of history here
> should someone want to dig in deeply enough.

But for CPS1/CPS2? I'm with AWJ... unless Capcom's going to come out and say "yeah, these were ours", I'm blaming it ALL on the bootleg scene at the time.

- Stiletto

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Send PM

#274430 - 01/29/12 08:06 PM

Bootlegs? I'm only talking about official Capcom releases. For instance, across this line:

sf2ua Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (USA 910206)
sf2ub Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (USA 910214)
sf2uc Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (USA 910306)
sf2ud Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (USA 910318)
sf2ue Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (USA 910228)
sf2uf Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (USA 910411)
sf2ui Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (USA 910522)
sf2uk Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (USA 911101)

---

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

#274432 - 01/29/12 08:11 PM

> Bootlegs? I'm only talking about official Capcom releases. For instance, across this
> line:
>
> sf2ua Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (USA 910206)
> sf2ub Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (USA 910214)
> sf2uc Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (USA 910306)
> sf2ud Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (USA 910318)
> sf2ue Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (USA 910228)
> sf2uf Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (USA 910411)
> sf2ui Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (USA 910522)
> sf2uk Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (USA 911101)

Ah, okay then. Yep, pro gamers will probably detect difference between bugfixes.

- Stiletto

AWJ
Reged: 03/08/05
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Send PM

#274433 - 01/29/12 08:18 PM

> Absolutely incorrect. Alpha Anthology has a special "dipswitches" menu for adjusting
> gameplay elements based on multiple revisions of the Alpha series arcade code.
>
> http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/931620-street-fighter-alpha-anthology/faqs/53049
>
> Edit: I should probably clarify something. While 99.99% of the adjustments were
> bugfixes, a change to even a single active move typically had rippling effects across
> the entire game that could be on-par to a whole balance pass-- none of this is
> currently documented, and I believe that there's actually quite a bit of history here
> should someone want to dig in deeply enough.

I should clarify that I meant "gameplay changes other than bug fixes". I must admit that I completely forgot about Guy's dizzy damage in Alpha 1.

Also, I think that the majority of those dipswitch-configurable bug fixes were made for console ports, and never saw the light of day on actual CPS2 PCBs. The SFA3 sets in MAME represent at least three revision levels, and even the latest revision still has the damage bugs related to Saikyo and Mazi modes, the guard crush gauge freaking out when you block 32 hits in a row, and the inconsistent VC invulnerability rules between characters, just to name three well-known bugs that have major effects on game balance.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Send PM

Re: What Set To Choose Between The Two new [Re: AWJ]
#274434 - 01/29/12 08:23 PM

It might be that some bugs were left untouched. It might be that non-gameplay elements were the only things touched. I believe that at least in SF2 there were some changes, though.

In any case, my entire point was more to the effect that this is something that probably needs a deeper examination at some point just to get it 100% cleared. If there ARE changes, they need to be documented. If not, then I eat my words and we know for 100% certainty there too.

There's a rare chance with the Capcom stuff here in that they're some of the only clearly dated material in the entire MAME set. There's actually a chance to dig deep enough to work out what really got changed revision to revision and document it.

---

stephh
Happy Bonze
Send PM

#274449 - 01/30/12 12:38 AM

>> BTW, I'd be happy if we could get rid of the "alternate" sets and use "set n" instead ...

> Well, as we see from this thread, some people are mistaking "set n" for version/revision numbers... this is probably one of those things that will be hard to get the point across no matter what phrasing is picked... if it wouldn't make waves, I'd nominate "alternate set n" as being a little clearer.

Honestly, I don't see where people should have problems with the "set n" description : IIRC, such "convention" exists since MAME begining 15 years ago ...

And IMO, "alternate set 1" would be hard to explain ...

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

Re: What Set To Choose Between The Two new [Re: stephh]
#274454 - 01/30/12 01:41 AM

> Honestly, I don't see where people should have problems with the "set n" description
> : IIRC, such "convention" exists since MAME begining 15 years ago ...
>
> And IMO, "alternate set 1" would be hard to explain ...

... ehhh... maybe we _should_ document the naming convention somewhere, in that case...

I'm fine with the status quo, just trying to have an easy answer for n00b questions in the future...

- Stiletto

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

#274472 - 01/30/12 06:30 AM

I don't think there's any need to change the naming of it. Maybe just a simple sentence in the FAQ explaining it would be sufficient.

Lord Nightmare
Speech Synth Berzerker
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: PA, USA
Send PM

Re: 'cabalus' vs 'cabalus2' new [Re: stephh]
#274560 - 01/31/12 04:26 AM

> > I'll use the game "Cabal" as an example. If a person already has the parent set of
> the game, which is "Cabal (World, Joystick version)." But the person wants to play
> the trackball version. There are two options he can choose from. They are:
> >
> > Cabal (US set 1, Trackball version)
> >
> > or
> >
> > Cabal (US set 2, Trackball version)
> >
> > So, which one should the person choose?
> >
> > What is the difference between those two sets?
>
> After a brief look at the M68000 code and the games, it appears that "set 1" has an
> additional "Winners don't use drugs" FBI warning screen ... Because of this, the code
> is completely "shifted", so it's difficult to spot other differences ...
>
> Steph from The Ultimate Patchers

Interesting. If set 2 lacks that screen I wonder if it isn't actually a europe or world set...

LN

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 255 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 7083