Chine
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/29/07
Send PM

Remember Vivanonno
#273868 - 01/23/12 11:49 PM

"version 22.0.4 now coding" since 2003

http://vivanonno.vg-network.com/

I wish that someone could add the new dumps !!

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: Remember Vivanonno new [Re: Chine]
#273879 - 01/24/12 02:20 AM

> "version 22.0.4 now coding" since 2003
>
> http://vivanonno.vg-network.com/
>
> I wish that someone could add the new dumps !!

That could involve some hacking the authors might not like and made them quitting the scene. Remember Super Street Fighter II and Final Burn? :P

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/15/07
Send PM

Re: Remember Vivanonno new [Re: BIOS-D]
#273931 - 01/24/12 05:21 PM

All I want to know, and it is just out of sheer curiosity, is who the author was of VivaNonno? I just the privaledge of thanking him for an emulator that was way ahead of its time.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Remember Vivanonno new [Re: Outrun2006]
#273939 - 01/24/12 06:03 PM

> All I want to know, and it is just out of sheer curiosity, is who the author was of
> VivaNonno? I just the privaledge of thanking him for an emulator that was way ahead
> of its time.

A Japanese guy who goes by "Cab". He didn't want publicity or fame and was extremely freaked out over the Western reaction to VN so he retired to updating it only for his own use. He did share a lot of very useful technical information with us since then that's gone into improving the MAME driver though.

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

Re: Remember Vivanonno new [Re: R. Belmont]
#273953 - 01/24/12 09:46 PM

> A Japanese guy who goes by "Cab". He didn't want publicity or fame and was extremely
> freaked out over the Western reaction to VN so he retired to updating it only for his
> own use. He did share a lot of very useful technical information with us since then
> that's gone into improving the MAME driver though.

What was the western reaction to VN? I was not around when VN first hit the scene,so please forgive the ignorance.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Remember Vivanonno new [Re: mesk]
#273968 - 01/25/12 12:12 AM

> > A Japanese guy who goes by "Cab". He didn't want publicity or fame and was
> extremely
> > freaked out over the Western reaction to VN so he retired to updating it only for
> his
> > own use. He did share a lot of very useful technical information with us since then
> > that's gone into improving the MAME driver though.
>
> What was the western reaction to VN? I was not around when VN first hit the scene,so
> please forgive the ignorance.

Imagine every crazy over-the-top emu-author worshiping post you've ever seen for ElSemi or Bart or whatever. Now take that times 1000, and all aimed at the same guy in the same forum over a 12 hour period.

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

#273977 - 01/25/12 01:53 AM

Oh.Poor guy,no wonder he keeps it to himself now.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Remember Vivanonno new [Re: mesk]
#274033 - 01/25/12 08:35 AM

> Oh.Poor guy,no wonder he keeps it to himself now.

... and I hope this answers Outrun2006's question...

- Stiletto

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

#274045 - 01/25/12 12:04 PM

> > All I want to know, and it is just out of sheer curiosity, is who the author was of
> > VivaNonno? I just the privaledge of thanking him for an emulator that was way ahead
> > of its time.
>
> A Japanese guy who goes by "Cab". He didn't want publicity or fame and was extremely
> freaked out over the Western reaction to VN so he retired to updating it only for his
> own use. He did share a lot of very useful technical information with us since then
> that's gone into improving the MAME driver though.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thank you for your reply RB. Believe or not your answer sheds some light on the issue and *does* indeed bring some closure to my curiosity. Very interesting how this gentlemen came out of the blue and released what turned out to be an emulator that received high acclaim, and rightfully so.

To Cab....the guy that created Vivanonno...if you ever read this, just know that a lot of Ridge Racer fans out there really appreciate you bringing this fine emu to our households back in 2002. Thank you very much and you have our gratitude.

BadMouth
Arcade Racing Fan
Reged: 06/13/11
Send PM

Re: Remember Vivanonno new [Re: Outrun2006]
#274259 - 01/27/12 04:30 PM

It just makes me curious about how much more progress was made after he quit making public releases.
The fact that there might be a better version out there that was never released drives me nuts.

However, he is the author and has every right to do with his own work as he wishes. Seeing the endless stream of port requests, unrealistic feature requests, moronic "bug reports", and other demands that emu authors have to put up with, I can see why they would keep it to themselves.

"replying to unhappy customers sucks
especially if you're not selling anything"
-PsyMan

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Remember Vivanonno new [Re: BadMouth]
#274265 - 01/27/12 05:19 PM

> It just makes me curious about how much more progress was made after he quit making
> public releases.
> The fact that there might be a better version out there that was never released
> drives me nuts.

AFAIK the current MAME state (after hap's fixes) is essentially equivalent to what Cap's private version ended up as. No, I don't know if it allowed shooting the helicopter

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

#274321 - 01/28/12 11:33 AM

Yeah, as much props as I give Cab, don't forget our friend here Hap. Hap's work on the Namco System 22 driver for MAME has been nothing short of magnificent, and because of him, I have chosen to utilize MAME rather than VivaNonno for my Ridge Racer enjoyment. Nothing like being able to shift gears on a real H-gated shifter with proper support from the game via the emu. Too awesome!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 283 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2260