MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Reged: 10/13/10
Loc: N.J.
Send PM

Strange Dragon's Lair 2 Copyright Mystery.....
#273735 - 01/22/12 06:57 AM Attachment: dragons lair 2 copyright.png 1799 KB (0 downloads)

As I was Playing The DVD Version of Dragon's Lair 2: TimeWarp (20th Anniversary Box Set), During the attract mode I made a strange discovery.
Under the title screen if you look close enough you can see

LISCENSED EXCLUSIVLY TO NINTENDO.

But in the original it states copyright to Leland. The real mystery is Nintendo didn't have a version back in 2002 .Not until recently which is Dragons Lair Trilogy and DSI versions. Why would they leave such a copyright behind and what does it mean. Is it possible Nintendo was supposed to release this in the arcades or home video. Does anyboby know the answer to this one? Strange....
Even stranger the trilogy version for the Wii doesn't have this copyright(just says the top portion only.)

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

I’m convinced Mario is a hobo.
He wakes up everyday in the same clothes, runs around in sewers, and collects coins for a living.
At the end of the day, he uses the coins to buy mushrooms

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: Strange Dragon's Lair 2 Copyright Mystery..... new [Re: jumpmaniac81]
#273741 - 01/22/12 07:46 AM

> As I was Playing The DVD Version of Dragon's Lair 2: TimeWarp (20th Anniversary Box
> Set), During the attract mode I made a strange discovery.
> Under the title screen if you look close enough you can see
>
> LISCENSED EXCLUSIVLY TO NINTENDO.
>
> But in the original it states copyright to Leland. The real mystery is Nintendo
> didn't have a version back in 2002 .Not until recently which is Dragons Lair Trilogy
> and DSI versions. Why would they leave such a copyright behind and what does it mean.
> Is it possible Nintendo was supposed to release this in the arcades or home video.
> Does anyboby know the answer to this one? Strange....
> Even stranger the trilogy version for the Wii doesn't have this copyright(just says
> the top portion only.)

Nintendo had ports of the game going back to the NES in '90, not sure if that draws a connection somehow. NES carts certainly couldn't play LDs.....

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

#273832 - 01/23/12 04:39 PM

ask jeff kinder on d-l-p.com - he would know if anyone would.

i just looked at a chart about DL2 deaths, and it's interesting how the death sequences are definitely toned down in the sequel. a couple 'silly' deaths are okay, but making it too family-friendly may have hurt its popularity (and it's rigid / non-random sequencing too).

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Send PM

#273940 - 01/24/12 06:08 PM

> As I was Playing The DVD Version of Dragon's Lair 2: TimeWarp (20th Anniversary Box
> Set), During the attract mode I made a strange discovery.
> Under the title screen if you look close enough you can see
>
> LISCENSED EXCLUSIVLY TO NINTENDO.
>
> But in the original it states copyright to Leland. The real mystery is Nintendo
> didn't have a version back in 2002 .Not until recently which is Dragons Lair Trilogy
> and DSI versions. Why would they leave such a copyright behind and what does it mean.
> Is it possible Nintendo was supposed to release this in the arcades or home video.
> Does anyboby know the answer to this one? Strange....
> Even stranger the trilogy version for the Wii doesn't have this copyright(just says
> the top portion only.)

I might have solved this mystery. I traced it back to the CD-i Version. Didn't Nintendo operate that system at the time?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4SrzqnQ1t0

He wakes up everyday in the same clothes, runs around in sewers, and collects coins for a living.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#273945 - 01/24/12 06:41 PM

> I might have solved this mystery. I traced it back to the CD-i Version. Didn't
> Nintendo operate that system at the time?

Nope, that was a Phillips joint. They famously got Nintendo to license them the rights to make some fairly shitty Mario and Zelda games, but Nintendo wasn't actually involved.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: Strange Dragon's Lair 2 Copyright Mystery..... new [Re: italie]
#273978 - 01/25/12 02:29 AM

> > As I was Playing The DVD Version of Dragon's Lair 2: TimeWarp (20th Anniversary Box
> > Set), During the attract mode I made a strange discovery.
> > Under the title screen if you look close enough you can see
> >
> > LISCENSED EXCLUSIVLY TO NINTENDO.
> >
> > But in the original it states copyright to Leland. The real mystery is Nintendo
> > didn't have a version back in 2002 .Not until recently which is Dragons Lair
> Trilogy
> > and DSI versions. Why would they leave such a copyright behind and what does it
> mean.
> > Is it possible Nintendo was supposed to release this in the arcades or home video.
> > Does anyboby know the answer to this one? Strange....
> > Even stranger the trilogy version for the Wii doesn't have this copyright(just says
> > the top portion only.)
>
>
> Nintendo had ports of the game going back to the NES in '90, not sure if that draws a
> connection somehow. NES carts certainly couldn't play LDs.....

Nintendo had no involvement in those "ports".

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Send PM

Re: Strange Dragon's Lair 2 Copyright Mystery..... new [Re: R. Belmont]
#273979 - 01/25/12 02:31 AM

HAHAHA! Hotel Mario brings back memories of boredom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwkkZ5_I9Jk

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: Strange Dragon's Lair 2 Copyright Mystery..... new [Re: Foxhack]
#273984 - 01/25/12 03:11 AM

> >
> > Nintendo had ports of the game going back to the NES in '90, not sure if that draws
> a
> > connection somehow. NES carts certainly couldn't play LDs.....
>
> Nintendo had no involvement in those "ports".

Yeah, I figured as much, just a reach. Good call on the quotes.

JWallace
Steamrollered by cool things, and likes it that way
Reged: 09/22/03
Send PM

#274237 - 01/27/12 11:06 AM

I've always wondered about this myself , as far as I can tell, it's basically an error in the DVD mastering.

(Disclaimer: this isn't an official statement or anything, this is just based on what I know about the project)

DL2 was started as an animated project with Rick Dyer and the Bluth Group in 1983-4 as a quick sequel, only for Cinematronics to go under in March of 1984, with no more budget to finish it off, or indeed to code it. Apparently work was carried out to finish the animation around other Bluth animation projects with a view to releasing it through another distributor, such as Nintendo. Ultimately, Leland and others picked it up in 1990, along with a rerelease of Space Ace.

Based on that, I presume that Bluth Group prepared a version with a view to getting Nintendo involved, a few years before the proper release(certainly the 'death' scenes are more family friendly than the original Lair). This master tape is clearly the one used to make the DVDs (they all have a yellow tint to the video due to attempts to match the footage from the various stages of the project together), as presumably it would be easier than going back to the original negatives. Certainly the arcade laserdiscs don't have that caption, nor do they have that yellow cast on the video footage. At a guess, the Nintendo version was a complete run through for potential use in making the discs, hence the 1988 copyright, but when Leland came along it was redone (there are two different disc pressings, one that is mastered at the wrong speed with dodgy colours, and the later one, suggesting two mastering processes at least)

The Wii and later versions were made 'after' the Bluray remastering from the original negative, where Digital Leisure finally had a master from the original footage to play with.

Sorry that this appears to be the longest post I've made for some time, but I hope this helps. If anyone knows different, I'd like to hear about it.

http://agemame.mameworld.info

AGEMAME HQ - was once a thing, now isn't really.

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Send PM

Re: Strange Dragon's Lair 2 Copyright Mystery..... new [Re: JWallace]
#274249 - 01/27/12 02:37 PM

Wow! Really interesting. Who ever thought Dragon's lair could have been put out by Nintendo. Thank you very much for clearing up this mystery.

JWallace
Steamrollered by cool things, and likes it that way
Reged: 09/22/03
Send PM

#274252 - 01/27/12 02:54 PM

What's strange is that Thayer's Quest came out in arcades in 1984 through RDI (Rick Dyer's company) to raise cash after the Halcyon collapsed, as a Dragon's Lair conversion kit presumably DL2 wasn't finished then, as it would have probably been an easier sell in arcades than a long form adventure. Mind you, could there have been license issues with the characters at that point?

Not that I've looked too hard, but DL2 hardware would seem to be similar to Time Traveler (both modern Sony players, both 8086 series CPU), so did Dyer's people code it up in the end? Certainly there's a few additional elements on the disc that were never coded in (multiple endings, etc).

Anyway, not 100% sure on what I posted earlier but based on previous things I've read about the Bluth group, they all seem to follow. Apparently at one point the move flashes were going to be removed, and the game reedited for home video sales as a last resort to get some money back, can't imagine how that would work.

http://agemame.mameworld.info

AGEMAME HQ - was once a thing, now isn't really.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 108 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1792