script kiddie
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: London, UK
Send PM

MAWS progress
#273506 - 01/19/12 03:28 PM

Hi guys,

MAWS progress is non-existent.

We have ascertained that it was the vector through which MW attacked and subsequently taken down by the host. We have done reviews of the code and not definitively tracked down how this was done. The logs do not shed enough light either.

In this light, I do not want to jeopardise the future of MW by trying to get it hosted there again. I plan to very slowly work on miniMAWS and see that hosted somewhere, somehow in the future. The code for that is much more sustainable but there are fewer features.

In the meantime, please do not hassle the mods about getting in re-instated. I prefer MAWS to go dark than threaten the future of MW.

Realistically I have much less time to work on this now than I did so expect progress to be measured in geological rather than internet time.

Thanks for bearing with me.

CBW

http://maws.mameworld.info/maws/ - eventually updating MAME databast

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: MAWS progress new [Re: cutebutwrong]
#273524 - 01/19/12 09:04 PM

> Hi guys,
>
> MAWS progress is non-existent.
>
>
Thanks for letting us know

Someone will need to modify mametesters to not link to it..

cutebutwrong
script kiddie
Send PM

Re: MAWS progress new [Re: Robbbert]
#273568 - 01/20/12 02:19 PM

It's already fallen off of the top of Google search results.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#273612 - 01/20/12 09:39 PM

> It's already fallen off of the top of Google search results.

Very sad. I hope someone can come up with a replacement.

- Stiletto

AntoPISA
MAME Snapper
Reged: 09/15/08
Loc: Pisa, Italy
Send PM

#273757 - 01/22/12 06:04 PM

Move all databases to another server would be possible (maybe even experimentally)?

Site: https://www.progettosnaps.net/
Board: progetto-SNAPS Official Board
Twitter: @progettosnaps

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: MAWS progress new [Re: Stiletto]
#273767 - 01/22/12 08:36 PM

> > It's already fallen off of the top of Google search results.
>
> Very sad. I hope someone can come up with a replacement.
>
> - Stiletto

Progetto Emma?

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

FMecha
MAME's (Armchair) Motorsports Consultant
Reged: 01/18/09
Send PM

Re: MAWS progress new [Re: Master O]
#273932 - 01/24/12 05:23 PM

> > > It's already fallen off of the top of Google search results.
> >
> > Very sad. I hope someone can come up with a replacement.
> >
> > - Stiletto
>
> Progetto Emma?

Hardly a possiblity - that would mean large work for AntoPISA and Progetto people to make translations.

And by the way CBW, I think you also must stop doing MiniMAWS, since it is pointless without main MAWS.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Send PM

Re: MAWS progress new [Re: FMecha]
#274004 - 01/25/12 05:32 AM

> > > > It's already fallen off of the top of Google search results.
> > >
> > > Very sad. I hope someone can come up with a replacement.
> > >
> > > - Stiletto
> >
> > Progetto Emma?
>
> Hardly a possiblity - that would mean large work for AntoPISA and Progetto people to
> make translations.
>
> And by the way CBW, I think you also must stop doing MiniMAWS, since it is pointless
> without main MAWS.

Guess those who use MAWS better start brushing up on their Italian.

Also, I wasn't talking about AntoPISA and Progetto translating anything. I was saying Progetto Emma is a substitute to MAWS, even if it's in Italian.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: MAWS progress new [Re: Master O]
#274027 - 01/25/12 07:48 AM

> Guess those who use MAWS better start brushing up on their Italian.
>
> Also, I wasn't talking about AntoPISA and Progetto translating anything. I was saying
> Progetto Emma is a substitute to MAWS, even if it's in Italian.

How about "no"... I mean, I don't mind submitting the odd page or two through Google Translate, but I'm not doing a whole site.

Since you're playing the pedant card, let me put it to you this way: it can't really be a complete substitute for the website if it's in a completely different language.

Additionally, the look-and-feel of ProgettoEMMA is quite different, and I prefer MAWS's look and feel.

That said, I do like what ProgettoEMMA and the Italian MAME community have done for the community at large.

- Stiletto

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

Re: MAWS progress new [Re: Stiletto]
#274055 - 01/25/12 03:57 PM

> > Guess those who use MAWS better start brushing up on their Italian.
> >
> > Also, I wasn't talking about AntoPISA and Progetto translating anything. I was
> saying
> > Progetto Emma is a substitute to MAWS, even if it's in Italian.
>
> How about "no"... I mean, I don't mind submitting the odd page or two through Google
> Translate, but I'm not doing a whole site.
>
> Since you're playing the pedant card, let me put it to you this way: it can't really
> be a complete substitute for the website if it's in a completely different language.
>
> Additionally, the look-and-feel of ProgettoEMMA is quite different, and I prefer
> MAWS's look and feel.
>
> That said, I do like what ProgettoEMMA and the Italian MAME community have done for
> the community at large.
>
> - Stiletto

I guess you don't know exactly how ProgettoEMMA and ProjectMESS are generated
Creating an English version would simply mean to translate a single webpage (miracles of dynamically generated content through PHP), and to specify info to be imported from the English History.dat instead of the Italian one. It would still lack mameinfo data, but that one could be added eventually

Last time I inquired with s_bastian about this, he was 1. very busy with real life, 2. unwilling to take advantage of cutebutwrong's script issues, so nothing came out of that

Zorix
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/10/11
Send PM

#274096 - 01/26/12 02:43 AM

What about opening the code to peer review and possibly handing it off to someone else with more time to devote to it?

cutebutwrong
script kiddie
Send PM

Re: MAWS progress new [Re: Zorix]
#274232 - 01/27/12 09:08 AM

I'd be happy to drop a steaming pile of the code to someone who wants to take it on. OTOH it's a really bizarre set up. miniMAWS is much better but far less functionality.

Any interest in the code, let me know.

Qc4
Reged: 01/30/05
Send PM

Re: MAWS progress new [Re: Zorix]
#274238 - 01/27/12 11:44 AM

> What about opening the code to peer review and possibly handing it off to someone
> else with more time to devote to it?

About a month ago, I did review every file in the MAWS and miniMAWS code. While there were a few minor issues that I mentioned to CBW, I didn't see any security vulnerabilities that could have been used to compromise the site in the way that it was. I have a good guess on how the attack took place (which is unrelated to the MAWS/miniMAWS code), but I can't know for sure without seeing the web server logs, which were never provided to CBW as far as I know.

s_bastian
Wasting time at work...
Reged: 06/14/04
Send PM

Re: MAWS progress new [Re: etabeta]
#274322 - 01/28/12 12:14 PM

> I guess you don't know exactly how ProgettoEMMA and ProjectMESS are generated
> Creating an English version would simply mean to translate a single webpage (miracles
> of dynamically generated content through PHP), and to specify info to be imported
> from the English History.dat instead of the Italian one. It would still lack mameinfo
> data, but that one could be added eventually
>
> Last time I inquired with s_bastian about this, he was 1. very busy with real life,
> 2. unwilling to take advantage of cutebutwrong's script issues, so nothing came out
> of that

Exactly as told by Etabeta, progettoEMMA is a repository of TRANSLATED sources. Sources are in english and then we made translations sometime automatically (listxml infos) and sometimes by hand (history.dat). It would take verw few hours to convvert progettoEMMA to a fully bilingual
Point is: a part from being really busy with real life (damn bad moment at work, and wife plus three kids waiting for me whan I get home...), I am not willing to do it until CBW says he is definitively off. I would rather prefer to help him to move somewhere else (we have a VERY cheap hosting service here in italy, where most of the italian emulation sites are hosted, they give you unlimited webspace and bandwoith on managed shared host for less than 40.00 EUR/Year, send me a PM if you want all details...), than replacing him

The first Italian MAME resource at
www.progettoemma.net

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

#274502 - 01/30/12 05:24 PM

I used MAWS all the time and its absence is sorely missed.

OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM

Re: MAWS progress new [Re: yaggy]
#275323 - 02/06/12 08:59 AM

So MAWS gets hit once, and it throws in the white towel? We are going to let one Indian hacker attacker make MAWS vanish forever?

Is it 100% sure that it was even MAWS that was compromised?

Why can't MAWS just be moved to a different host? If all it would cost is about 40 euros a year, that's peanuts.

ProgettoEmma is definitely a nice alternative while the MAWS site is down. But I'd rather have it as an alternative instead of a replacement. There's no site that can replace MAWS.

We can't have MAWS just die. That's bullshit. You shouldn't even consider that as an option nor possibility.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Send PM

Re: MAWS progress new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#275870 - 02/12/12 10:15 PM

> We can't have MAWS just die. That's bullshit. You shouldn't even consider that as an option nor possibility.

Life's not fair. Plenty of things in life die and there is little you or I can do about it.

ranger_lennier
Reged: 04/07/05
Send PM

#279130 - 03/13/12 06:11 AM

Random thought I had last night before I went to sleep (and tried the rest of the day to remember what it was)--

How hard would it be to make an offline version of MAWS? Some sort of program where you could load the latest version of the MAME source, image packs, data packs, etc., and get MAWS functionality on your PC. I at least would find that useful.

> Hi guys,
>
> MAWS progress is non-existent.
>
> We have ascertained that it was the vector through which MW attacked and subsequently
> taken down by the host. We have done reviews of the code and not definitively tracked
> down how this was done. The logs do not shed enough light either.
>
> In this light, I do not want to jeopardise the future of MW by trying to get it
> hosted there again. I plan to very slowly work on miniMAWS and see that hosted
> somewhere, somehow in the future. The code for that is much more sustainable but
> there are fewer features.
>
> In the meantime, please do not hassle the mods about getting in re-instated. I prefer
> MAWS to go dark than threaten the future of MW.
>
> Realistically I have much less time to work on this now than I did so expect progress
> to be measured in geological rather than internet time.
>
> Thanks for bearing with me.
>
> CBW

OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM

Re: MAWS progress new [Re: ranger_lennier]
#279133 - 03/13/12 07:06 AM

I like that idea.

AeroCityMayor
Entity formerly known as alien_mame
Reged: 11/11/03
Loc: Wakefield, West Yorks, UK.
Send PM

#279186 - 03/13/12 10:57 PM

> Random thought I had last night before I went to sleep (and tried the rest of the day
> to remember what it was)--
>
> How hard would it be to make an offline version of MAWS? Some sort of program where
> you could load the latest version of the MAME source, image packs, data packs, etc.,
> and get MAWS functionality on your PC. I at least would find that useful.
>
MAMEUI???

ranger_lennier
Send PM

Re: MAWS progress new [Re: AeroCityMayor]
#279205 - 03/14/12 04:59 AM

> > Random thought I had last night before I went to sleep (and tried the rest of the
> day
> > to remember what it was)--
> >
> > How hard would it be to make an offline version of MAWS? Some sort of program where
> > you could load the latest version of the MAME source, image packs, data packs,
> etc.,
> > and get MAWS functionality on your PC. I at least would find that useful.
> >
> MAMEUI???

Honestly, it's been years since I've used MAMEUI. Does this have all of the functionality of MAWS?

AeroCityMayor
Entity formerly known as alien_mame
Reged: 11/11/03
Loc: Wakefield, West Yorks, UK.
Send PM

#279315 - 03/15/12 01:59 PM

>
> Honestly, it's been years since I've used MAMEUI. Does this have all of the
> functionality of MAWS?

It's like MAWS without the advanced search facility so a little more limited. The search box for game titles is very handy though and I can usually find what I'm looking for.

HTH

Cheers,

Ralph.

ranger_lennier
Send PM

Re: MAWS progress new [Re: AeroCityMayor]
#279410 - 03/16/12 04:11 AM

> >
> > Honestly, it's been years since I've used MAMEUI. Does this have all of the
> > functionality of MAWS?
>
> It's like MAWS without the advanced search facility so a little more limited. The
> search box for game titles is very handy though and I can usually find what I'm
> looking for.
>

Yeah, I liked all of the different ways you could search for games.

intp
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/20/10
Send PM

#292502 - 07/23/12 07:57 PM

I'd be happy to take a crack at it.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 272 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 10129