MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

This is why I don't watch movies anymore...
#273371 - 01/18/12 09:23 AM

Just finished watching "The Help". While Emma Stone kept the eye candy quota up, movies like that just leave me angry. I know that movie was less graphic than the book (and the book less graphic than real life), but I get so damned ashamed of this country sometimes. I just don't know how anyone....at any time in our history..can think that those segregationist ideals were OK in any way. The excuse I hear most often of "That's just how things were back then" doesn't fly with me either. I stand firmly behind the notion that I would NOT have gone along with that.

I had one grandfather growing up that was a bit on the racist side. He'd drop N-bombs like they were verbal candy, and say things all the time that would be straight out of 1950's Mississippi. I remember even at a young age being embarrassed by him and ~understanding~ why I felt that way. I start to think about today and how we are STILL fighting the similar battles with our own society. There are still areas battling racial issues. There are still areas fighting over sexual preference issues. There are still areas wrestling with class issues. Just unreal how some people can hold on to silly ideals that have no bearing on them, nor affect them in any manner.

Sez
Queen High Slapper
Reged: 12/14/03
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Send PM

Re: This is why I don't watch movies anymore... new [Re: italie]
#273373 - 01/18/12 10:25 AM

I hear you honey.

I constantly chip elderly neighbours and relatives about using any derogatory term which is archaic and has absolutely no place in today's society.

Some can't see what the fuss is about as "it's just a word". I just tell them it makes them sound stupid and backward. What makes me laugh is that they get offended when I call them that.

I hate it and it's a constant battle - Australia's an extremely racist country.

Why won't anyone listen to ninjakid - he's being serial!

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#273378 - 01/18/12 12:59 PM

Funny you mention that now - I just watched this movie the other day. (4chan made me do it, I swear!) Although you're supposed to laugh at the xenophobic attitudes shown by the "whiteys" it's probably disturbingly close to the truth.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: This is why I don't watch movies anymore... new [Re: Sez]
#273380 - 01/18/12 01:05 PM

> Some can't see what the fuss is about as "it's just a word". I just tell them it
> makes them sound stupid and backward. What makes me laugh is that they get offended
> when I call them that.

Well, if you've been on the receiving end of racial taunts for a significant proportion of your life, it becomes just words to you. All racially charged language gets lumped together. My wife and I throw it around just to take the piss, because we're so used to receiving it.

> I hate it and it's a constant battle - Australia's an extremely racist country.

I wouldn't disagree with that sentiment, although parts of the country are more racist than others. I copped far more shit from random strangers on the street in Melbourne than I do in Sydney, for example. People would occasionally spit at me and tell me to go back to my own country in Melbourne - haven't had that in Sydney.

Brad
Aussie D1ckhead
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Australia
Send PM

#273501 - 01/19/12 02:07 PM

> I had one grandfather growing up that was a bit on the racist side. He'd drop N-bombs
> like they were verbal candy, and say things all the time that would be straight out
> of 1950's Mississippi. I remember even at a young age being embarrassed by him and
> ~understanding~ why I felt that way. I start to think about today and how we are
> STILL fighting the similar battles with our own society. There are still areas
> battling racial issues. There are still areas fighting over sexual preference issues.
> There are still areas wrestling with class issues. Just unreal how some people can
> hold on to silly ideals that have no bearing on them, nor affect them in any manner.

I totally agree with you and have had similiar arguments. My issue though is that every second song I hear on the radio has the "n-bomb" in it? WTF is that okay? Double standards or some weird sort of discrimination?

Brad

www.aussiearcade.com.au

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 124 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1274