View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM

Trackball tweaking
#273106 - 01/15/12 01:00 PM

I got the joystick "X-Arcade Tankstick + Trackball" for Christmas. The trackball is kind of stiff but I assume that is because it is new. But when I play games that use the trackball, such as "Marble Madness", my marble moves too slowly. And when I play a golf game like "Golden Tee", my swing does not go as fast as it should be and the result is that the ball doesn't go as far as it should.

I know how to go into the Analog option in the gameplay and modify the Sensitivity and Speed of the trackball. Is that what I should do to solve my problem?

Or should I go to my computer's windows control panel and go to mouse settings and try to tweak it there?

If it is recommended that I tweak it by going into the Analog options in gameplay, what is recommended that I increase... the Sensitivity? or the Speed? or Both?

Is there a recommended number setting for the Sensitivity and Speed of the Analog gameplay option for the X-Arcade trackball that I have? For example, for the "Final Lap" series, the history.dat has a recommended number setting that the player should change the Sensitivity and Speed in the Analog option.

I'm sure there are a bunch of people who have the X-Arcade trackball like I have and they experienced the same slowness problems as I did in games like Marble Madness. So what did you do to fix the slowness problem?

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Trackball tweaking new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#273112 - 01/15/12 02:14 PM

> I know how to go into the Analog option in the gameplay and modify the Sensitivity
> and Speed of the trackball. Is that what I should do to solve my problem?

I believe you should increase it.

> Or should I go to my computer's windows control panel and go to mouse settings and
> try to tweak it there?

I don't think that would have any effect because MAME reads the input device directly.

> If it is recommended that I tweak it by going into the Analog options in gameplay,
> what is recommended that I increase... the Sensitivity? or the Speed? or Both?

Play around with the values and see what happens. Only one of them will produce the desired effect. You'll work it out.

> Is there a recommended number setting for the Sensitivity and Speed of the Analog
> gameplay option for the X-Arcade trackball that I have? For example, for the "Final
> Lap" series, the history.dat has a recommended number setting that the player should
> change the Sensitivity and Speed in the Analog option.

Personal preference dictates the desired value. As usual, the recommendation is to play with the settings - you'll work it out.

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: Trackball tweaking new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#273294 - 01/17/12 05:20 AM

Curious... how does a MAME dev determine the default number setting of the Analog trackball's 'Sensitivity' and 'Speed' for a given game? Do they just set it at a value that seems right? or are they able to extract the official/correct value from the emulation process?

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#273309 - 01/17/12 07:02 AM

My guess would be that it's in the manual assuming it exists.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#273332 - 01/17/12 05:21 PM

> Curious... how does a MAME dev determine the default number setting of the Analog
> trackball's 'Sensitivity' and 'Speed' for a given game? Do they just set it at a
> value that seems right? or are they able to extract the official/correct value from
> the emulation process?

It's a completely subjective thing given we aren't using OEM trackballs. So just set it to what feels right for you.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#273337 - 01/17/12 06:29 PM

Don't go too extreme on the windows settings or you get to the point where you will get skips and jumps and even the PC thinking the trackball is scrolling back when you send it forward too fast. You can also get different results depending on the mouse drivers you install. It's all a matter of experimenting to find the best.

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: Trackball tweaking new [Re: R. Belmont]
#273372 - 01/18/12 09:26 AM

Ok thanks.

I'm not positive what the "Digital Speed" Analog option does. I think I know what it does, but not sure. When I increase or decrease it, I don't see any effect for games like Golden Tee series, Marble Madness, and World Class Bowling. When I want my golf ball, bowling ball, and marble to go faster I increase the "Sensitity." But when I increase/decrease the "Digital Speed" I don't see any differences for those games.

From my understanding, "Digital Speed" controls the joystick buttons and not the actual joystick, right? Because I read that "Digital Speed" controls "Digital Input." And Digital Input is the keyboard and joystick buttons.

So basically in the Analog option, "Sensitivity" controls the sensitivity of the Trackball, Mouse, and Joystick. And the "Digital Speed" controls the sensitivy of the joystick buttons and keyboard buttons. Is that accurate? If that basically is accurate, that would explain why I don't see any differences when I increase the "Digital Speed" in games like Marble Madness, Golden Tee series, and World Class Bowling.

I searched this topic and the only thing I found was the thread below. But I wanted to make sure I was clear on this matter.

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...amp;o=&vc=1

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#273375 - 01/18/12 11:56 AM

> So basically in the Analog option, "Sensitivity" controls the sensitivity of the
> Trackball, Mouse, and Joystick. And the "Digital Speed" controls the sensitivy of the
> joystick buttons and keyboard buttons. Is that accurate? If that basically is
> accurate, that would explain why I don't see any differences when I increase the
> "Digital Speed" in games like Marble Madness, Golden Tee series, and World Class
> Bowling.

If you assign keys to an analog input (e.g. assign your arrow keys to trackball movement), the digital speed controls how fast it goes in response to the keys.

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

#273461 - 01/19/12 04:00 AM

ok.

So was I kind of right? For a game like "Golden Axe", if I tweaked the "Digital Speed", it would effect the buttons and if I tweaked the "Sensitivity", it would effect the joystick movement... right?

B2K24
Send PM

#273463 - 01/19/12 04:39 AM

> ok.
>
> So was I kind of right? For a game like "Golden Axe", if I tweaked the "Digital
> Speed", it would effect the buttons and if I tweaked the "Sensitivity", it would
> effect the joystick movement... right?

What's stopping you from trying it and finding out from the result?

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#273468 - 01/19/12 05:05 AM

> ok.
>
> So was I kind of right? For a game like "Golden Axe", if I tweaked the "Digital
> Speed", it would effect the buttons and if I tweaked the "Sensitivity", it would

No, it does not affect the buttons on your trackball. It is strictly for the case where you use a digital input (keyboard or d-pad) to "emulate" the analog input.

AWJ
Reged: 03/08/05
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Send PM

#273470 - 01/19/12 05:24 AM

No, purely digital controls (like Golden Axe or the zillion other games with an 8-way joystick and some buttons) have no concept of "sensitivity" whatsoever. The buttons and joystick directions are either pressed or they aren't.

The "digital speed" and "autocenter" settings are only used when MAME simulates an analog input using a digital input. In other words, playing Outrun or Marble Madness with a keyboard. The only reason a sane person would ever do this is if you don't have an analog input device--a situation fortunately getting rarer and rarer, since we have 360 and PS3 controllers that can be used as-is on a PC without any extra hardware.

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: Trackball tweaking new [Re: B2K24]
#273471 - 01/19/12 05:44 AM

> > ok.
> >
> > So was I kind of right? For a game like "Golden Axe", if I tweaked the "Digital
> > Speed", it would effect the buttons and if I tweaked the "Sensitivity", it would
> > effect the joystick movement... right?
>
> What's stopping you from trying it and finding out from the result?

Please reread what I posted. As I've already said, I've tried it out and did not see any results.

Quote:

When I increase or decrease it, I don't see any effect for games like Golden Tee series, Marble Madness, and World Class Bowling. When I want my golf ball, bowling ball, and marble to go faster I increase the "Sensitity." But when I increase/decrease the "Digital Speed" I don't see any differences for those games.

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

#273472 - 01/19/12 05:48 AM

> > ok.
> >
> > So was I kind of right? For a game like "Golden Axe", if I tweaked the "Digital
> > Speed", it would effect the buttons and if I tweaked the "Sensitivity", it would
> > effect the joystick movement... right?
>
> No, it does not affect the buttons on your trackball. It is strictly for the case
> where you use a digital input (keyboard or d-pad) to "emulate" the analog input.

I was referring to "Digital Speed" effecting Buttton 1, Button 2, etc. that is on my X-Arcade Joystick. Because those buttons on my X-Arcade are mapped to keys on my keyboard. But it appears the "Digital Speed" does not effect Button 1, Button 2 on my X-Arcade. Because even though they are mapped to the keyboard, those are not analog.

AWJ explained it in a way I understand, I think.

So there's no option that customizes/effects the pressure of pressing Button 1, Button 2 for a game like Golden Axe. Meaning, there's no option that you can increase/decrease so that when you press Button 1 (Jump Button) you could just barely tap the button and the player would jump or that you would have to press it completely/hard to make the player jump.

(I was confused and it was hard to put in writing was I was thinking and trying to explain it.)

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

#273474 - 01/19/12 06:20 AM

Not to be an ass but I been reading on this site for a long time and don't need to respond at everything........but you are an idiot.. Since you registered here in October you just babble and look for answers from everyone and when they try to help you in anyway you make a stink about it.

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: Trackball tweaking new [Re: joey35car]
#273475 - 01/19/12 06:26 AM

> Not to be an ass but I been reading on this site for a long time and don't need to
> respond at everything........but you are an idiot.. Since you registered here in
> October you just babble and look for answers from everyone and when they try to help
> you in anyway you make a stink about it.

How am I making a stink about it? I said nothing of the sort. They explained it and I'm glad that they did and that I understand it now. I'd like you to point out where in this thread where I complained or said anything negative? Your comment is just yet another lie, wrong assumption, and misinterpretation.

B2K24
Send PM

Re: Trackball tweaking new [Re: joey35car]
#273476 - 01/19/12 06:44 AM

> Not to be an ass but I been reading on this site for a long time and don't need to
> respond at everything........but you are an idiot.. Since you registered here in
> October you just babble and look for answers from everyone and when they try to help
> you in anyway you make a stink about it.

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: Trackball tweaking new [Re: B2K24]
#273483 - 01/19/12 07:56 AM

B2K, I didn't laugh at you after showing you that your comment was wrong.

Edit: Or maybe you are laughing at Joey after realizing that he's the actual idiot since in no post in this thread did I make a "stink" aka complained or negative comment.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#273487 - 01/19/12 10:01 AM

> ok.
>

You completely ignored what I said:
> If you assign keys to an analog input (e.g. assign your arrow keys to trackball movement)

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

#273492 - 01/19/12 10:44 AM

Got it

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

#273538 - 01/20/12 01:35 AM

StevieWunderful
Reged: 11/19/04
Loc: NY
Send PM

#273543 - 01/20/12 03:49 AM

How do you know that We are Not using an OEM Trackball?

Most of the older 2.25" arcade trackballs are identical with regards to the optical encoder wheels, and even in using the same parts for the housing. The same trackball design has been used from around the 80s... and is still used today.

There "Should" be a way for a user to get arcade accurate inputs, rather than using what they 'Think' is good. Else the game isnt going to be factory correct, thus the games balance isnt going to be right.

A set of settings the user could pop into an INI file, such as:

============
- REM Note: Original for MM = Happs, 2.25", 16 holes, 4x encoder

Trackball = yes
Trackball Diameter 2.25
Trackball Tracking Holes = 16
? Encoder Board Type = ?
============

Would be very helpful in making sure the playability is arcade accurate.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 195 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 10565